Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Woodworking part 1 and 2

Dan-MO

I have always had a love of working and creating things with my hands.I also fancy myself as a competent if self taught gun smith especially old antique firearms that parts are not available for.Over the years I have had some luck and get a lot of enjoyment in repairing and refinishing them.I have made several stocks and forearms,made small metal parts,and have reblued and refinished dozens.Although I have had several offers,I have never done this for money.I am very paticular about what is good enough,and won't rush to finish a job.Sometimes I may work on a piece for weeks or months in my spare time before I finish.

My latest project is one of my most challenging.The picture will show the remnents of a stock off a "Nickerbocker" double barrel 16 ga. shotgun made in about 1900.It is a side lock and belongs to a close friend of mine who inherited it from his grandfather.When he brought it to me the old stock was splintered into about 12 pieces with several pieces missing.It would have been easier to make a new stock for the old gun than repair the original,but for sentimental reasons he wanted the original piece.He wanted his shoulder to rest against the same wood as his fathers and grandfathers.

I already have several hours of work into the piece pictured,I wish I had a photo of it before I started on it.The old wood is tough to work with and painstakingly slow.From this point on things will go quicker and I hope to finish it within the next week or so.Then I will start on the metal parts.....I will post another pic of it when I finish.

work cut out for you Dan. Good luck, and be sure and post more pictures of the finished product.

I have a 20 gauge single shot that I reblued for my grandson. It was my second ever gun and somehow the trigger guard was lost over the years. Dont really know how, but I'm looking for one.

Lil Brother:)

But you DO have a challenge ahead.

How do you plan to "reassemble" it? Are you going to make the missing pieces out of old wood or what? I've never done a project like that but I would like to cheer you on, in the name of sentimentality.

You neighbor is a lucky person to have such a neighbor as HE does!

aj

n/t

I will reassemble from the inside out glueing and clamping each piece and also drilling some small holes and "pinning" the pieces together with toothpicks soaked with wood glue.You can see some toothpicks sticking out of the wood now.I will make the missing pieces out of some scrap walnut carved to come close to fitting and matching up the woodgrain as close as possible.

The problem with such projects is twofold.I want it to look good when finished,but more importantly it must be solid and safe.When it is mostly together I will fill the small cracks and joints with a mixture of sawdust (saved from the original wood)and wood glue.After this mixture drys I will completely sand down the stock,sand the toothpick "pins" and woodfiller down flush and smooth,then slap some stain on it and hope for the best.

any metal working/fabrication done, well, I can do that. However, when it comes to working in wood..... my father had it down perfectly. He used to call me a 'wood butcher' :)

fair winds

m

a 4/10 shotgun that my daddy bought for me. Over the years, the stock cracked and broke. I have taken it to a few gun places, but no one seems to want to touch it. It's very sentimental to me, also, but I know the stock will have to be replaced. I still have it, and one day when the time is right, I will find someone to repair it for me. Even tho it is a very old gun, the stock was made of a heavy plastic.

I will try and send a few photos to show you. It needs bluing, and cleaned up too, but like I said, someday I will have it looking like new. Right now, the memories of my daddy's arms around me holding it up while I shot it, and it kicking the heck out of me is where it is. I'm sure the brother's know what brand it is. I want to say Remington, but I don't think this is right! :)

[attachment 15204 Gun-1.jpg]
Here is what I have left of it. I did have part of the stock, but it's been lost.

[attachment 15205 gun-2.jpg]
I think if I do the right kind of reasearch, I will be able to find what the original stock looked like.

[attachment 15206 gun-3.jpg]
This is the under side with the markings on it. I know it is at least fifty three years old, but how much older I am not sure.

Email me the make and model (can probably be found on the barrel or reciever) and I can probably get you a picture of what the original looked like.I may even be able to get you a stock-or at least point you in the right direction.Shouldn't be too hard to fix it up when you are ready.

It is a Stevens.They were made with plastic or wood stocks.Wood replacements are still available.Here is a pic of one.Should be a easy fix when you are ready.

put a wood stock on it, or another plastic one?? I am so fired up! It even got Scott out of his chair! Can you please tell me where I can order this? :) Thank you so much! A Stevens.........imagine that. I don't think I have ever heard of this brand!

made from approximately 1939 to 1952. Originally, only the barrel was blued and the receiver was case hardened. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

If so,you can order the wood stock and forearm assembly from Numrich gun parts.Plastic is not available.I would recomend the wood anyway.I know it is priceless to you,but your gun is a very popular collectors item and is worth a nice chunk of change and getting more valuable each day.Just do a Google search on Numrich gun parts,go to the site and click on Stevens then click on model 22-410-if the one pictured is your gun.You will need the Stock,Stock bolt (unless you have your old one)and complete forearm assembly to replace the tenite (plastic)forearm.The phone number and ordering info will be there.I have ordered from them many times without problems.It will probably cost you $100 - $150.00 total.Let me know if I can help.

I have owned a few of them old single barrel Stevens 12 gauges with the plastic stocks.The lighter weight caused them to kick like a mule!Wood replacements are available and I have switched out a couple of them.

it had a walnut stock and forearm, but changed in late 1939 to the plastic stock and forearm. When Springfield, Stevens, and Savage merged around 1952, they went back to the wood stock. At that time, Springfield was no more. The 22-410 was an excellent camp gun as well as a squirrel hunting gun.

Note: There were several versions of the forearm hardware, so save the original hardware just in case the replacement hardware that comes with the replacement forearm is slightly different and will not latch properly. Also, these stocks are often available on eBay. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

and Cowboy keep talking about the forearm, are you talking about the part under the barrel, where I showed you a photo of markings on it? If so, do you guys think I should keep the original on it, and put the new wooden stock on it, or should I replace both pieces? Do you have any guess how old you both would think it would be? I do know the original stock was plastic.

Also, when someone reblues it, does that mean they clean off any rust spots that are on the outside of the barrel? It is not is really bad shape, but has some spots on it! I do know the first thing my daddy did after coming in from a hunt was to clean his gun, then place it in the gun cabinet. He made two. Lil Brother has one, the oldest on hand made from cedar, and Johnboy has the other. They are true treasures, for sure. They also own all his other guns except for this one, and one rifle they gave to my girl's father. He eventually gave it to my oldest daughter who still hunts with it today. She killed her first deer with it.

Yes, it is precious to me. I have no idea what it is worth. Squirrel hunting is what it was used for alot, Cowboy! Ummmmm, I can taste the squirrel and dumplings now! (I wish)

I was pretty amazed, tho, when I started looking for the brand name, I could find it no where. All I could find was on the barrel where it was engraved Proof tested 410 Bore and under that is says Three Inch Chamber. and on the other side from that, it simply is engraved 22 Long Rifle.

I thank you both for the information. And would love any other info you have about it! Sunny

I would search eBay and various gun auctions on the Internet and try to locate a used plastic stock. As a long shot, you may be able to locate a plastic stock at a large gun show. I would also just give the gun a good cleaning and keep it original. The age of the gun is somewhere between 53 to 65 years old, with a good round number being 60 years old. My reference books are still stored somewhere in a box out in the garage, but if I have time tomorrow I will try to locate my books on Stevens, Savage, and Springfield. I suspect that somewhere on the receiver you will find "Springfield" lightly engraved. I have owned several of these guns in the past, even had one of the walnut stocked original guns made in 1939 before they went to the plastic stocks. I hope that this has helped you. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

see anything else engraved, unless it is covered up with something. I will let you all know if I get it back to new. I am excited about this! :) :sleepy: goodnight, Cowboy!

If you can find the plastic stock it would be the easiest and least expensive way to go as well as keeping it original.But I have a feeling you may have a hard time finding one.At this time there are none being offered on Ebay.In my opinion if you do replace it with the wood stock,I would also replace the forearm (yes that is the part under the barrel)with a wood forearm just so they would match.

When you reblue a gun you must remove all of the old blue and rust and take it all the way down to the bare metal using strong chemicals to do so.You must then polish the metal with fine steel wool and a lot of elbow grease.I have a heavy duty buffer made for this that I use.It must then be degreased (more chemicals) and the new bluing applied (more strong chemicals)It is a nasty job.

I would never reblue a classic old gun like yours unless it was in very poor condition.If it has some rust spots put a couple of drops of gun oil,or 3 in 1 oil on the spots and rub them lightly with extra fine steel wool.Then wipe it off with a clean soft cloth and a few more drops of oil.

I have also owned a few of these over the years.They are neat little guns and like Fred mentioned a perfect camp gun.Hope this helps.

Got the old stock mostly assembled and clamped today.Tomorrow I should be able to start the finishing and cosmetic work.More pics to follow in the next couple of days.

Yesterdays pic...[attachment 15316 gunstock1.jpg]

Todays pic.....The patient is still in critical condition but is improving!lol [attachment 15318 gunstock2.jpg]