Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WinterTag-out 2007

Arkie John

Get yore gear and let's go down the road a piece, if you have time.

It was my second day of a five-day hunt, my last extended hunt of winter. I had taken two nice deer earlier in the season, one being a hefty 190-pound seven-pointer and another lesser buck, but good eating just the same. Other than those two highlights, my 2006 take has been sparse, without a single turkey kill

but when I read these stories, it sure makes me wish I had. My favorite detecting spots have always been in wooded areas. Just something peaceful and serene about them. And to snatch a good feed while enjoying the surroundings would be tough to beat. Makes me envious, to be honest. Great post and thanks for sharing it.

Rob

Now you can enjoy the bounty of your harvest. My wife slices and frys that turkey breast and boils the meat off the legs and thighs and mixes in with her cornbread dressing. Man that's good eatin'!

I should say she does when I can harvest one-Like you,I have taken dozens of them in my life but all but one with a gun.I also once got one with my truck....He flew into it while I was driving down the road...broke his neck clean as a whistle. He went into the pot! My only experience with road kill...It was good! Congrats again on a great hunt and thanks for telling us about it.

I always like your hunting story's but you sure ought to post a picture with them. :D I would love to see the bucks and that bearded female.

Your sis is the only bearded female I have ever seen :D

Now lets see if she is a reading

that means a twofold bonus. The experience and the reward are not exclusive. That was an excellent recount of the hunt, enjoyed it a bunch, thank you!
You have to clean and dress your own game too huh?;)

I know for the time we all put in,(especially you), the kills are few and far between, but we both know that thats not why we go.

I'm fired up for my vacation in the last week of March and the Spring turkey season. Theres nothing like hearing one rattle the branches early in the morning!

ly

Lil Brother

As far as cleaning and dressing, you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. Some people have too much money if they can't do it themselves. Daddy always taught us that "if you kill it, you clean it." It's just all part of the hunt.

Some day I may out west and hunt me an elk and/or antelope. When I go I hope to go on a "self" hunt, hunting free roaming, wild animals on public domain. If the state laws allow it, that's the way it will be--just to preserve the sanctity of the hunt. I know that YOU know what I'm talking about.

Next week-end is the last one for a while. About all I intend to do is pull the blind and repack everything for the April hunt. Got to spiff up the travel trailer and restock the cabinets. Spring turkey season will be here before we know it!

Again, thanks for posting. I'm ready to hear another good one from you, bud. Can't wait. <><

aj

I know I missed a lot by not being around the ranch and livestock, but hey! We have to play the cards we're dealt!

Thank you so much, for reading and posting. I hope to take the ole' Ace 250 out next week end to the same area I've been hunting since Thanksgiving. There is a hint or two of an old homestead, complete with cellar holes. I can't wait.

aj

I post photos so little that I forget how to do it between time. Linda thinks I'm just senile. Maybe. One of these days I'll get back into it.

Thanks for posting, bud.

aj

That road kill turkey is a hoot. I asked an old countryfied boy once if he had ever killed a turkey. He said, "Yup, I kilt 'em with a AX!"

Whether they are taken with bow, gun truck or ax and choppin' block, it is some FINE eatin'!

aj

I got two buck this year but I gave one to my daughter. She just moved up here and is [re]learning all the country life skills and meeting great new friends. Have you ever had your deer made into pepperoni? Or breakfast sausage? That is what we do with most of our meet. I keep the tenderloins, loins and sirloins.... the rest gets converted into the two treats made above!! If you can find a good sausage making place, I really recommend it.

Calm seas, sunny skies

M

messing with that squirrel with that spray bottle. Do you know how much the turkey weighed? You still have time to get the deer before hunting season is over at the end of February...just hang in there. Thanks for sharing this story...also, hard to believe that you went an entire year without bagging a turkey. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

That is a typical weight for a hen. That one is only the second one I have killed with the bow. Too bad for her that I did not have one in the freezer at the time. :lol:

You all have so many more turkeys and deer than we do here...especially on the big ranches that have been converted to hunting properties. I wouldn't know how to act to see so many birds at one time. I go days -- weeks at a time without even seeing one, but their sign lets me know they still frequent the area--so I keep coming back and waiting them out.

Thanks for reading and posting back.

aj

...I get it all processed the regular way, with a little bit put up in jerky for next winter, that there's not much left. I figure that WHATEVER is made of venison is going to be good though.

Congrats on the two you took. Give Alice a squeeze for us.

aj

into kelbasa! It was great