Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WHO MAKES THE BEST COIL

Big "D"

I have owned my V3i for over two years now. I like it but I'm not thrilled. The polor plot and the sizing displays are often not correct.. For example: If I get a VDI of 83 and the spectragraph show the "green bar" 2.5khz on pin point, then that is a quarter almost every time. But the polor plot and the sizing displays are telling me my target is junk. For $2000.00 I expect more.

It seems to me that there is still a debate as to the proper way the test the coil. What ohms should the coil read ?

Also has I search other metal detector web sites , I read many people think that the stock DD coil is not the best coil to get the most out of the V3i. And question quality control on the stock coil. I would like to get some input on other coils that work well with this machine.

I was never able to get any real depth out of the V3i untill I finally tried the "salt beach" program. I have used "Magic's" program using the "salt beach as the base . I am finally able to dig good targets that are 8 to 9 inches down.

There is no debate on how to test the coil. Use the procedure I gave in your other post. I see your last posts where 1 year ago. The early production problems with the coils was solved long ago. The D2 is the goto coil for most people. A third party 10x12 SEF is also used by many but is not V rated.

Sorry you are not happy with the V, what area of the country are you hunting in? The Salt Beach program usually is not as deep, that's why I asked. Have you just used salt soil?

No. I live in Reno Nevada. I just hunt the parks for now, The Salt Beach program was the last one I've tried and it is getting me the most depth.

Big "D",

Whites, in my opinion makes the best coils for their machine! You read/hear hype about 3rd party manuf. coils that claim that their product out does stock coils by better separation of targets or greater depth. People that I hunt with here in the SW have bought other coils and promptly either returned them for a refund or sold them cuz they were not pleased with the product. I'm not saying that all 3rd party coil manuf. are bad or so-so, there could be a few folks that like them.

When you mentioned "Who makes the best coil", what do you mean? Best in what?

TC-NM

Thanks for your response. and the information. I'm hoping to hear from other V owner about a coil that may give better target ID and better depth performance.

Why do people think that a detector should be able to know exactly what is in the ground?

The sizing is a somewhat helpful tool that some find useful, it must be however set up to your swing speed.

Most people that use their detector for any length of time use the pinpoint function to determine the size of an abject as it does not require the coil to be swung and you may trace around the target.

Polar plot I rarely if ever use. But that is the beauty of the v3i you have an multitude of choices.

The D2 is the best coil in terms of separation and depth, this is of course in my experience. The sef coils are not v-rated but they are also exceptional.

Target ID and depth has more to do with the person using the detector than the coil or even the detector, there is no substitute for experience and unfortunately, there are no shortcuts to getting that experience.

Target ID aids works OK for maybe the top 1/2, or 2/3 at best, of the depth that can be achieved in my experience and I never use the polar plot. If you are after deep targets, you have to learn what deep targets sound like, how the Spectragraph reacts to them and how the three frequencies react to that particular deep target. Combine all available information on a suspected deep target and run that info through your discriminator that you have between your ears is what it takes to consistently detect and dig the really deep ones. In short, it is an educated "gut feeling" that that deep target is something you want to dig.

White's makes the best coil.
As fox would say use the 3 'S' Rule. Sound,Size, Shape.
The excellerator coils I hear good things about them

For now the super 12 , d2 stock , then the 950.
Really didnt care for 6x10 , not as sensitive as D2 . I hate the 4x6 shooter ... You have to ramp gain sky high to get average depth , i expected more for a small DD type coil .

I PRAY sunray coils put out a small coil like the INTRUDER .. I can walk all over my V3I with that coil on my GT.

the V3I NEEDS a great small loop , have you noticed they keep their loops at or near 10" ?
Thats why i am hopefull for alternative size .
Lets hope so

I have only used Whites coils, but have used the 4x6 shooter, the 10d2, the 6x10dd and the eclipse 950....I have been impressed with all of them as each has a "fit" depending on hunting needs. I absolutely love the 4x6 shooter for trashy parks that get double "bumps" and interference when using the 6x10dd or bigger coils....nothing beats being able to sneak around all the crap in a park full of bottle caps, pull tabs etc. to get to the goodies..I like the 6x10dd as a general hunter as its a little lighter than the 10d2, but if I am going to be hunting pretty open areas I like the 10d2 for its sensitivity. My 950 is a beach coil....I have strong iron mineralization so the dd coils are a big deal to have and I can't think of anyone better at servicing their products than Whites....

I just went through the Whites factory on Tuesday and everything is hand built, from the plastic forms, the windings, the assy.....everything is hand built and tested, then tested again, then tested again, Whites trys to make sure that their coils go out the door ready for service and their top end coils for their top end machines are built for stability with the coils on foam forms all epoxied in place and hand nulled...you just won't find coils built better...

There are lots more things between the detectorist and the treasure than the coil.