Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Who is getting deep (coins at 8 inches) and how are you doing it?

I would say about 10% of my finds are in the 6+ inch range with a few at the 8 inch range, using stock Hi-Pro mode and stock coil . I have probably put about 110+ hours on the V3 now and my soil conditions allow me to run Rx gain between 9 & 11 with discrimination between 76 & 86. But it has only been in the last 30 or so hours that the number of 6+ inch finds have increased, spending time with the machine and digging everything has been a big plus in learning the V3. Hope this helps.

HH Pat

Wow, I'm thinking of getting a v3 and trading in 2 of my detectors, a Exp ll and Cz5. I hope this wouldn't be a mistake.

OK then... I will ask for your help. I usually use a modified C&J program which isn't a whole lot different than "Hi-Pro", but I switched to "Hi-Pro" anyway. A 6" dime was solid but 7" was broken up and not repeatable. Tried best data, correlate, 2.5, 7.5, 22.5 frequencies with no improvement. I've been all over the place with Rx & Disc. The probe recommends Rx 9, bumping it to 11 causes a lot of noise (chirping) but nothing deeper that's repeatable. Sweep speed and filters didn't seem to help either. I've tried combination's of the above without success. This has me stumped at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Go to Sen and bring it down to 65-70----Bring all metal to 50---See if that don't help a lot---You can then crank it up more on the gain !

im a newbie here . ive had the v3 for a month now and have dug tons of clad and some silver. im slowly learnin but still get confused. i have no trouble findin clad and have dug down to 6-8 .inches. my question is, ive seen where some say to lower the rx gain which i believe is the recieved signal so that you can raise the sensitivity of the discrimination and the all metal signal. and then there are some who say do the opposite to lower the rx gain so you can raise the others... would this be accomplishing the same results or would 1 be better for depth than the other. ive been to some fresh water beaches with the v3 and it worked awesome even with the stock cj program. havent made it to the ocean side yet. any help would be appreciated. my last machine was a coinmaster 6000 di s3 so its been awhile. i figured with the v3 i should have a little edge on the fields that have been hit heavy . thats what ive been hunting mostly . all i need is a little more depth.

what i meant to say is lower the others so you can raise the rx versus lowering rx so you can raise the others:rage:

Hi,

Yep I read the first go-round but I'm still confused! Besides, some time has gone by, so more users have more experience, and I'm hoping to learn from them.

Mike

just read the post from firefighter 43 , under getting concerned that explained it. thanks firefighter for posting jimmy sierras statement. it explained what i was wondering. thanks everyone.

Hi Guys:

I detected for several months in a field where i live in CA, at home in Indiana and at the beach with an MXT for several months. I regularly found coins, mostly clad of course :), and jewelry (for the most part junk) at 8+ inches, particularly in a field that my partner and I were gridding. I had to use my towel all the time to hold all the dirt I removed in trying to get deep enough for my targets after removing the plug.

Things changed when I purchased a V3 about four months ago. I have 130+ hours on the machine, mostly coin hunting in different sections of the same areas where I used the MXT. The "Other" half of the same field, included. So far, I have yet to find more than 4-5 targets at more than 4 inches, only 1 in 15 or so will be outside of the range of my ProPointer. Let me say this:

My manual is dog eared, I have watched the videos.
I regularly adjust/optomize Rx Gain (Crank it up, dial it back to near stability), and discrimination sensitivity (high as can go, back it off if it becomes unstable). My gain can usually run between 11 and 15 in my main area without falsing and my disc. sensitivity is frequently at 85+. I run a frequency offset of +3 to +5 because my partner detects nearby. I recently dropped all metal sens to 50 to reduce any minor falsing and because my targets are so shallow that running it any higher made it hard to pinpoint...I certainly don't need deep pinpointing

I have used a variety of filter speed and have adjusted swing speed from four seconds per swing to about one second per swing depending on which filters I am using.
The program I use most frequently (70% of the time) is coin/jewelry with some modifications. I turned off modulation so that I don't miss deep targets and because my hearing can be iffy. I do use tone ID, and I turned ratchet on in pinpoint mode. As depth has concerned me for some time now, I have "reset" my two favorite programs as well as "Common" several times to make sure that I hadn't done something wrong.

I have done some "on top of the ground tests" a few times when starting to hunt just to make sure that things are OK and I find that I can get about 6-7 inches on a penny and 8 inches or so on a bottle cap. Interestingly, I find that sometimes turning Rx boost on will increase the depth of these "kickoff" tests, sometimes not.

Recently, I took a tiny gold necklace that I found strung out with the MXT and the V3 was unable to see it when it was wadded into a ball and left on the ground, the Rx gain was at 15, Disc Sens at 90, 10DD (yes, its fine, recommended gain of 15 with air test).

When I swing the detector I can occasionally get broken, deep, unrepeatable/hard to repeat chirps or sounds that indicate that the machine is trying to disc out something, typically it is a nail or other corroded/rusted item (probably a significant halo) and is never (never) a coin.

Finally, often when the detector reads 4-6 inches in search mode, I check with my pinpointer only to find that the coin is an inch or two deep. I typically gently scrub the grass when I detect, so it isn't a matter of the coil being off the ground.

My detector is one of the original Visions, still running 1.0 because I could care less about the wireless phones. I have #17 off the line, I believe. I want to work things out with this machine, but I am running out of adjustments to make and have read about all there is to read on this forum and several others.

I would appreciate any help that you can offer, especially any other glaring problems that there could be that I haven't figured out.

My MXT has been on loan for a few months, I get it back in about two weeks. I can't wait to grid out some areas and search them with both machines optimized to the best of my ability to see what happens!

Thanks in advance.

Tater.

Edit on the above post...my partner and I have done the math, I have over 250 hours on this machine and she has another 200+ on it, for close to 500 hours. With all of this time, we have 4 silvers to report and less than 10 finds greater than 6 inches. We have detected 3 beaches, multiple sports fields, some sanatoriums from the turn of the century, our own home, high-desert homesteads, and some urban parks.

Another user just sent me message about a "calibration issue" on early machines. Would this only impact the depth that the machine reports, or would it also impact the depth that the machine can achieve?

Tater.

I was almost at buying time, but I'm going to wait after reading all the posts. I know some problems are operator related. Whites doesn't seem to know what model V3 to make. They make one model that's a great machine right out of the box and the other model not so great.

Call White's ! Send it in for the updates. At the same time have them check the settings. Send the coil, also send the wireless headphones.

I did the above for a POD repair and got the other things at the same time.

White's must have re-tuned or calibrated the Vision. White's replaced the 10DD coil.

When I got the Vision back, I put the BigFOOT coil on, and it worked better than before.

Good Luck
Jerry

nt