Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's Classic ID

Pattylou

What do you think of this model? Is it worth $425. with bag, digger, headlite and snap on flashlite?????? Thanks for any info.

As far as I know the machine is made for Kelly Co. The Classic 5 is probably better and so is the price.
It's only $349.00 but you might as well look at the Prizm's, in my opinion. Better options in my opinion.

Classic 5
Features:

If you can spend a few bucks more you could go with the M-6

Prizm 4
FEATURES
Smart Notch. You choose ... detect or ignore them. Just push a pad and nails, foil, and tabs are in or out. The "Smart" system notches each zone based on your discrimination setting. You'll wonder how you ever did without Smart Notch!

Tone I.D. 3 distinctly different audio tones instantly cue you to the target's desirability. LOW signals nails and iron. MEDIUM is rings and jewelry. HIGH indicates coins.

Depth Reading as you hunt. Once you've detected a good target, the screen shows you how deep to dig. No extra steps, it's automatically on the screen! Target I.D. Display shows I.D. of target as you hunt. Hear and see targets!

5-Range Discrimination adjusts so you pick what you want to see and hear. Hear and see it all, or just the good stuff.

Adjustable Sensitivity maximizes detection depth in varying grounds.

PinPoint/All-Metal Mode makes locating your target a snap. Just push the pad!

8-inch waterproof search coil.

Rugged, water resistant control box.Total metal detector weight just 2.5 pounds, too.

Instruction DVD included.

Low Battery Alert. Powered by 2 9-volt batteries

The Classic ID, IDX, IDX-Pro come up on ebay and in the classifieds for sale from time to time, I've seem them sell for a little over 200 up to 400. The Classic 5 doesn't have but 2 coils that will fit it. The Classic ID, IDX, IDX have more coils available and you can buy them used. The Prism doesn't have a wide selection of coils either but it is according to whether you will need extra coils.

I have seen several Classic ID's sell for 180 to 220 on ebay. The IDX's bring 250 to 400. The ID comes with an 8 inch coil that is better suited for coin hunting. I would just keep looking for a better deal in a ID if I were you.

I imagine the Classics are ok machines but for what you'd pay for them
new I'd look for something that gave you more options. Even used I'd be
better off looking beyound. But they did the job and found stuff so if you can live
with their limitations, go for it.
RR

Robert,
If Whites would have just kept the Classic ID, IDX's and lightened them up and gave them notch discrimination they would still be selling them! Panel mounting the GB potentiometer would have been a huge plus too!

I had a stock Classic ID then had the Bill Crabtree Mods done and what a difference in depth. Still have a Classic IDX Pro with Mr. Bill Mods and will not part with it and would not pay more than $175 to $200 Tops for a used factory stock Classic ID as it still lacks the depth and Black Sand switch on the IDX Pro. If asking about a new Classic 5 ID in my opinion it nots worth the money and would buy a used 6.59kHz version.Just my opinion. HH Bill(de)

Hi,
We already bought the White's classic ID (new). How do we go about having the mod by Bill Crabtree or could we do it ourselves??

If your not well versed in desoldering ans soldering you better leave it to the pro's.
http://www.surfscanner.com

Would you say the mod on the Classic ID brought that machine up to the stock IDX Pro?

Is it worth getting a Classic ID worked over, or would one be better off to get ahold of an IDX Pro?

Can you compare the gap in performance between a Classic ID and IDX Pro after they both had the treatment?

As you can tell. I have a Classic ID, and am trying to decide whether or not to get the job done. It would not be my primary detector, as I have an MXT for that. There are times when I do prefer the Classic ID, especially in the heavy trash.

If you have Bill perform his mods it will be as good as the IDX pro except you won't have a black sand mode. Bill also will tweak the internal gain to make the detector a little hotter. The ID already has an 8 inch coin killer coil so I would just have the ID mod done.
surfscanner.com

Hi Scott

The Classic ID shows the most improvement in depth with the Mods and would say + 2" is easily attainable. Before the Mr Bill's mods i could not get the Classic ID to go squirrely on me at full sens outside and after mods it could get to the point of instability. Depth was as at least good as the stock IDX Pro.I didn't keep the Classic ID too long as i discovered how to use the Black Sand Switch at iron infested sites after reading a few of Monte's posts and just didn't feel the need for the modded ID. Some may need the frequency shift adjustment on the IDX Pro.

The modded Classic ID is much better than stock but a step below the IDX Pro as it lacks the Black Sand Switch, which allows a more finite discrimination on the low end range. Just my opinion of course. HH Bill

I can tell by your post you are not familiar with the Classic series of Whites detectors.

There is no other unit in Whites line, that can compete with the Classic series units hunting in a trashy area, period ! In fact there are few detectors in the world that do as well as the Classic's do. This I am referring to before any modifications are done.

The modifications are done to enhance the operation of the Classic units. Not all users will need this done.

No disrespect meant to you, but I can see your judging, better & performance by the $ price $. In doing so you could be shutting out some fine detectors to use.

Surfscanner Modifications

[quote robert roy]I imagine the Classics are ok machines but for what you'd pay for them
new I'd look for something that gave you more options. Even used I'd be
better off looking beyound. But they did the job and found stuff so if you can live
with their limitations, go for it.
RR[/quote]

I probably wouldn't pick one up for myself, but we have some pawn shops (lots of them in fact) in my area and if I see one there and the price is decent, I'll snap it up. It might make a nice gift for someone wanting to get into MDing. I've noticed that many people have been selling off MDs and other stuff just to make ends meet. You KNOW the economy is bad when people start doing that!!!:shrug:
RR

[size=large]I know this is an old post But can you still get Mr Bills mods.? and does anyone know to contact Him
Thank You [/size]

Hi,
sadly Mr. Bill no longer does the mods.
You can do them yourself though or get someone who knows how to handle a low-wattage soldering iron.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detector-modifications/32074-modified-white-s-classic-ii.html
It