Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whistle Pigs are dangerous!

Wayne in BC

Back about nineteen seventy and five, i left the city very much alive:biggrin:......

I was heading for my buddy's ranch near Caroline Alberta to do a bit of fishing for the day. About a mile from his house was the old home place that his Grandad had homesteaded and that is where i headed after checkin in and saying howdy. Jim was busy welding up a new stock trailor and said he may join me later on the crick. I mentioned that i wanted to sight in my new 270 also and maybe plink a bit and Jim said......if you see them dang groundhogs that are undermining the foundation on the old barn, whack em! :biggrin: said i.........
This "crick" is known as Alford creek and is actually famous for its wonderful and challenging fishing. It begins as a strong flowing spring from a hillside a few hundred yards from where the old homestead house used to be. Small, you could jump across it easily in many places and it was seldom more than a foot or so deep but ran clear and teeth cracking cold. At some time in the late 40's Brown and Brook trout had been stocked in it and thrived.
A challenge for a flyfisherman with many areas of thick willow, it was none the less, awesome fishing with hard bodied hard fighting trout of sometimes 2 lbs but mostly averaging 6-12 inches. We would sometimes keep a couple for supper but mostly released our catch and today i just wanted fun, not dinner. There was one old Brown Trout of maybe 5 lbs that lived in a deep hole under a willow overhang that we called "Snag". Snag had been hooked by me and most others that fished there numerous times with the same results.......if you used a fine enough leader to fool him after crawling on yer belly for 50 ft, (2 lb test!), his first reaction was .....where is my snag? And round and round the willow root he would go, it was a game!

So i tried for "Snag". Did the crawl thing and casted sidearm for a time but he was being coy that day so i stood up after 10 minutes and waded into the willow pile, freezing my butt some, and spooking Snag up the crick, then retrieved the two fly's that i had snapped off on a branch:rolleyes: whilst sloshing back to the truck, a movement at the base of the old hog barn caught my eye and turning to stare, i spotted three Marmots all sitting up watching me from beside the foundation so i continued casually to the truck, hoping they would stay put.
When i said i wanted to sight in the new 270, i meant a new load i was working up, having already been happy with its performance with 150 gr bullets, i had decided to try out 130 gr Hornady's in front of 59-1/2 gr of H-4831, the old military surplus powder many of us still used. I knew the point of impact would be different with the 130 gr but figured it would be close enough for a fat Woodchuck at 75 yards.

As i put away the flyrod and eased the rifle from its case the Chucks were running around and ignoring me, they were used to fishermen but did not know about murderous young b#stards like me :biggrin:
I sat down on the truck seat and rested the rifle on the window ledge with my coat under it, nice and steady. The crosshairs sat squarely in the center of a fat chuck and soon he was no more. There were now five chucks all frozen in place, then suddenly ducking under the cement footing of the barn. Five minutes of waiting brought another sneaking out to be met by a fountain of sand next his nose, uh oh......these rounds are definitely not going quite right, hmmmmm. I sat for another 10 minutes hoping a little left windage would fix the problem. Out came another and i overcompensated, missed.....argh! The chuck spooked though, pobably from the cement dust htting his butt and across open ground some 60 ft to disappear into a junk pile of old timbers and hog crates lying in a hollow. It was scared and kept popping up amongst the rubble here and there while i wasted ammo......

Frustrated now i put down the rifle and decided to play Sheriff with my six shooter, Ruger single six .22 magnum, much cheaper on ammo and sorta sporting i thunk at the time as i eased up to the junkpile and sat crosslegged about 30 yards away.
Mr Chuck obliged by popping up next to a cardboard box and i missed twice:ranting::blush: In the next 5 minutes i emptied the pistol twice at the Chuck running through the junk, and properly embarrassed had moved up to about 10 yards away and was reloading.

The Chuck popped up again by the box and was sitting still, i drew a bead, knowing this time the sucker was a gonner, only to hear Jim shout from his rapidly approaching truck, one word over and over DON"T DON"T DON"T!!!!
Turning as Jim exited his truck, i saw the look of horror on his face and thought i had accidentaly killed someone and sorta asked Jim the same in a small questionable voice. Jim just said, for chrissakes Wayne! Don't you remember me telling you about that old dynamite that i was going to burn?!!! Um, well, yes,so?.......SO he says, that is it in the cardboard box you are shooting at! It is old and bleeding nitro and i am surprised that you are not in a million pieces you idiot!

:blush: Yep, Whistle Pigs are dangerous game folks and btw the scope was loose.........

Nice tale , not sure if I have related some of my murderous exploits here and the them "Whistle Pigs" but at the risk of double posting I will put fore a couple of my hunts ....
Bill G.

I had my share of that too in my errant youth. When I got my ticket, I was the only person in the area who could [legally] blast. I used to buy cases of 40% forcite and use that while blasting. Inevitably, there were always a few sticks left over and it was a challenge to find uses for it.

You can only light so many fires with it so one day, we [buddy and I] took the sticks that were weeping and headed out to the Sooke foothills [very carefully]. We set it up[about 100 yards away] and started to prepare to shoot it with my 30-06. We pounded numerous rounds into the box...... nothing: Finally I set a cap into it, gave myself 3 feet of fuse and let it go. We were behind an embankment and I swear I can still hear the blast.

Good fun [but really, really dumb] :) :)

calm seas

Mikie

I wonder if Snag is still living in that creek...appears to be one smart fish. :rofl: I bet you often wonder about that box full of old explosives, what if you had hit it with a bullet at that distance of 10 yards. While you were not hitting the Marmots, you were still having fun with the new ammo load. It appears that you had a great day...fishing, varmit hunting, and visiting with an old friend. I loved this story...kinda felt like I was there with you. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

he was leadin ya into disaster??:rofl: We used to go down to the local dump and waste a couple bricks of 22's on the dump rats!

kind of close to a shooting gallery at a carnival! :rofl: Guess you got better as you matured! :rofl: Funny story Wayner, well kinda! Glad you didn't let the chuck use the dynamite on ya! :)

when you pick it up..................KABOOM! Happened alot to me and the brothers as kids. Didn't tell our folks tho, or they would have spanked us good! :) Of course, I supppose I have never seen a stick of dynamite in my life. Good thing! Glad you and your buddy are still around after that one Mikie! By the way, had a dream about you and Alice last night. Dreamt I was up there and we were all going to big garage sales. I was only up for two days, and you and Alice went home to cook dinner. I was trying to figure out if I had time to make the trip back to your house, then back for my flight! Weird!

You guys don't be afraid of me on here with my problems as of lately. I will be back to my old self in no time. :)

Thst is a good story, buddy. You write in the most entertaining way and I envy you!!

Did you ever publish that story? It would be worth the effort for sure. Thanks for takin' the time to write it up for us all.

aj

and the scope was actually loose and i did not find that out until i was testing again at home the next day. Jim took to calling me "boom boom" after that:lol:

i have not even tried to publish for many years, the competition is mighty tough these days and they don't pay "spit". Thank you very much!

Jim's 12 year old nephew caught that old Trout about a month later on a worm! The kid was using an old bait casting rig with 20 lb test line and dragged the lunker up the bank then came running home all happy and proud. Jim told me that it was darn hard to tell the kid what a great job he had done to slay a legend cause of course we would not have killed the 'ol boy/girl. I said heck it should happen to every kid:thumbup: