Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Pinpointer is worth the money? Which isn't?

We have a limited amount of probes available in Britain.
My probe of choice is the Vibra probe 580, the main reason is that it is water proof to about 100ft which is great in Cornwall as most of the detecting is done on beaches, rock pools up to a few feet deep, also the best finds are in the winter when we get lots of rain and I don't have to worry about getting it wet.
I think you have to decide what you will be using it for. I have another small probe which operates better on land as the Vibra does not seem to be as good on land but that is not what it was bought for.
Just a tip. Fix a length of fishing about 40lb and 12 ft long, one end to the holster and one end to the probe. I find after about 4 hours I tend to leave stuff behind.

Based on the feedback here, I opted for the Garrett first. After only one trip to the field, I have to kick myself for not getting one long ago! But like I said, I had a bad experience with a pinpointer and that put me off them. The Garrett has already saved me some time and digging and frustration.
I'm fearful my Explorer is dying on me, and if it is then I'll probably get an Etrac with a Sun Ray. Till then, the Garrett is a big step up from nothing!

Happy Hunting in 2012!!!

I use the X-1. The fastest way for me to "lose" $125, is to go with a hand-held pinpointer. If it's not attached to my detector, I WILL lose it.

The garret pro pointer is the best I ever used. I would try a sunray ,But I like to keep my detector as light as possible and easier to swing for longer periods.

I use the X1 when I hunt with the SE, and the Pro Pointer when hunting with the IDX. Both have their place with me. Can't imagine have an Exp/Etrac without an X1 mounted on it.

TwoRivers said:
I'm using a Garrett Pro pinpointer, it's rugged and does a good job finding stuff.....The inline probe would be nice, but I'm not inclined to add more weight to the SE as it is a handful as it is...

John

Exactly

In fact, my husband has recently taken off the inline probe and is just using the Garrett Pro Pinpointer

He is much happier!

I use a DetectorPro Pistol Probe and love that unit - It really gets the depth and I find my targets so much faster than with other probes I was using before... I routinely get signals at 3 to 5 inches away and can zero right in with no difficulty at all.