Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Pinpointer is worth the money? Which isn't?

xplorerxs

I had a pinpointer years ago and after getting very frustrated with it I tossed it. That darn thing couldn't find a manhole cover laying on top of the ground! not LOL! I know many people use pinpointers and like them.

So my question is: Which one would you buy again and which one would you NOT recommend?

Thanks!!!!

I own a bullseye 2 now and its junk, only 2 choices, garrett propointer or sunray inline pinpointer. If you hunt with different detectors then the garrett, if only 1 model and they make a sunray for it go for that one unless money is an issue. Garrett $127.00, Sunray for explorer $225.00.

If you are using an Explorer or an ETrac, I would recommend the Sunray X-1, because it does so much more than just pinpoint your target. I also use a Garrett ProPointer as a back-up . .

I agree with Dave above. I have both the in line probe, which is such an asset, and the garrett probe, also an asset, especially at night when I can still usethe light. Between the two however, I would hands down choose the inline probe that gives you the same numbers as your detector. What a magnificent addition to my metal detecting efforts!

HH

Dennis, pinpointed exactly.....

I'm using a Garrett Pro pinpointer, it's rugged and does a good job finding stuff.....The inline probe would be nice, but I'm not inclined to add more weight to the SE as it is a handful as it is...

John

[size=large]i use the Garrett Pro Pointer. i will have already decided to dig so don't need the pointer telling me what it is. just where it is and Garrett can't be beat doing that. for me the garrett is the fastest of the two. the in-lines still don't have the same range. the cons are you can lose the garrett if you're careless and don't remember to pick it up before leaving. expensive lesson. watching you tube i constantly see people fishing around the hole for the signal. even at the rigt depth. the garrett tells you its in the hole and guides you to it . it's what do you want to play with. to me the in-lines have a little to much hype . folks wanna look cool or chase the status symbol. the garrett just finds the target. you already figured to dig. jmho

HH[/size]

If you can find an Sunray probe to fit your detector then go with it. The Garrett Pro Pointer is pretty good if the only thing in the hole is your target....in trashy sites it will beep on every shard of metal.

Wow! Excellent response everyone and big thank you! I have contacted by email and youtube detectorists from the US and the UK in particular. The overwhelming favorite would be the Garrett for portability and functionality and the Sunray in line is also highly recommended.

I wish I could remember the brand of the one I bought a few years ago. It sure as heck wasn't a Garrett or Sunray, thats for sure. If I remember I'll post so others don't get burned like I did. It was a piece of junk and if it had been free, it would have been overpriced!

Thanks everyone and Happy Hunting!
Steve

I really like my Pro Pointer. :thumbup: The discrimination the Sunray probes offer is nice, but I just found it a hassle to constantly be clipping and un-clipping the probe from the detector shaft.

****A hint if you buy a Pro Pointer is to spray it bright yellow/orange with some Krylon spray paint. If not, I guarantee you'll regret not doing so the first time you spend an hour back tracing your steps looking for it. :lol:

Garrett pro pointer and the sunray online would be my best choices.

[size=large]one thing is a lot of hunters have both on hand. it was maddening for me with the probe cause I would constantly forget to switch it back after the dig. hunted half a soccor field with the probe on. couldn't find anything.

HH[/size]

If you want great depth, discrimination ability, and a pinpointer that is powered by your detector, and not to mention you wont leave it behind unless you decide to leave your whole detector behind :look: then I would choose the SunRay-X1.
I have used many numerous pinpointers prior to this and have never looked back since purchasing one for my first XS many moons ago.

Best of luck on your what you decide. :)

You can get by with a pro pointer ....but ...... dollar for dollar a sunray is worth at least twice as much ...wildherre

The Sun Ray in line pin pointer on my Explorer is indispensable and is almost a necessity. I also have an F75 with a Sun Ray in line pin pointer and it doesn't seem as responsive. My buddy has a Garrett pro pin pointer and really loves it and he has been detecting for over 25 years. You may want to consider the Garrett if you have multiple machines and don't want an in line on each one.

you swing an explorer or E-Trac.

It is an invaluable tool when you are in iron infested sites!...AND what the probe sees...YOU see on the screen whether it be cursor flutter/placement or "flashing numbers"

After I get a plug out on an iffy/iron type hit...I then run the probe in the normal detector mode.

If the probe nulls...I walk. If it sings though I will then put it in the pinpoint mode to get the added benefit of all metal ID as well as hone perfectly in on exactly where the target is. I have saved myself from scratching many good silver coins over the years utilizing the X-1.

IMHO the X-1 inline probe is the best invention for metal detecting since the detector itself.

It saves hours of hunt time from chasing deep iron and nails. You can tell instantly whether it's a target worth "chasing" or iron/nails because the probe will null in conductive sounds/iron mask if it's iron.

I also have the Garrett propointer which is a good one...and always keep it with me as a backup just in case my sunray probe would crap out on me.

It is still sitting new in the box in my accessories bag I take with me.

The only possible downside I can see about the Sunray is the fact that's its twice the cost of the next best thing in my opinion which is the Garrett propointer.

The UPSIDE to that just stated "downside"....it's WORTH EVERY PENNY!:thumbup:

I would not hunt without it on my Explorer....period.

Well read what Bryce said and I agree, I use both and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. If I get a good clean signal with my E-Trac that seems to say that there is no junk near the target then the Garrett is faster but iffy signals the X-1 wins hands down. Either way they both are good pinpointers and you will not go wrong. The Garrett is nice when you are digging around roots since you can get in under them and poke and scrape with it better.