Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WHERES THE BEST PLACE TO BUY A WHITES?

dutchroots said:
Pure greed to charge maybe $30 more on a $800 piece of equipment? The ONLY reason Kellyco and other big stores can have lower prices is because of volume, because of people who's sole criteria is low price. My local dealer is in his shop every day to answer questions and to handle any problems that a customer might have. If I'm wondering about a coil I can go in and talk to him for half an hour, no charge, and maybe walk out without purchasing anything. I can go in there and get a hands-on demonstration of just about every model on the market. If there's a mechanical problem I bring it to him and he takes care of it.

It takes me about 45 minutes to get to my local dealer. Costs me about $20 in gas in my truck for the 2 way trip. But he is my first choice when it comes to buying anything detector related. Obviously not because of his prices, but because of his availability, service, and knowledge. And most importantly because I know him as an individual, and he's a great guy.

I would like to stick my big nose in here for just a few comments. Although I'm brand new to this forum, I have been metal detecting for about 20 years and have some experience in MD purchases.

We have a local dealer for White's detectors here where I live but it is, unfortunately, a sideline for him. When last I visited (a couple of weeks ago) there was an MXT and (I think) a Prizm hanging on a rack in the corner of his shop. I told the lady behind the counter (the owners wife, I believe) I was interested in buying an MXT and wanted to know how much they would charge me. She started looking around for a catalog but couldn't find it and I asked if she was just going to quote me the full retail price which I already knew. She said yes and I then asked her if they would throw in any sweeteners? The answer was no, full boat price for whatever. I thanked her and left.

Let me also say that there used to be a dedicated metal detector dealer in a large city near me and I did drive the 80 miles or so to do business with him but he got out of it or retired and no one that I have been able to locate has stepped in to fill his shoes. He would always throw in a few goodies whenever you purchased something from him and even though it might have been just a throw away item, you never felt like you had been ripped for a full retail deal. He was also ready to help with any problems and I would have been happy to do business with him again had he still been there.

But, since he wasn't .......... to make a long story short, I just (this week) bought a brand new MXT from Kellyco. No regrets. I saved slightly over $350.00 from what I would have had to pay here in town for the same package. I will say that I hope Kellyco didn't lose too much on the $19.95 apron they threw in which I believe I could sew up myself for about a buck-fifty. :cheekkiss: Also, when the package arrived, there was a small problem with the detector, I called them and explained it, the guy I talked to couldn't solve it himself but he gave me the number for White's out in Oregon, I called them, told them the story, including where I bought it; one of their in-house guys got on the phone and the problem was solved in about 2 minutes.

This little narrative has been kind of long winded but the point is, it depends on an individuals' circumstances as to where he needs to purchase his metal detector. 350 bucks is nothing to sneeze at but if the local dealer had been a little more accommodating and involved with MD'ing, I would have probably gone with them just to keep it local.

Good luck to all, this is a wonderful forum.

I guess I'm lucky to have a full-time dedicated dealer in my area. His shop is the only one I am aware of for over 50 miles around. And hey, since Kellyco gets mentioned frequently I think I should be able to mention my dealer.....

No links allowed I guess, so I'll just say his name is Al and he's from Plainwell, Michigan. Many of you will know who I'm talking about.