Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What would you do?

dljones54

Let's say you sent your favorite metal detector to the factory to have it repaired. Along with it, you sent the original search coil which was still operable but had a loose wire. A few days later, you get a call from the factory, asking if you want to keep the cardboard box in which you shipped the machine. You politely tell them, 'No, I only want my favorite machine repaired and returned to me." They tell you that they will do that. Well, when your repaired machine is finally returned, your original search coil is not with it. Instead, a new coil and a plastic shaft have been shipped to you. A few days later, you get an email saying that your original search coil could not be repaired and it had been destroyed. What would you do? How would you react? What if that original search coil had helped you find an untold amount of treasures in the U.S. and in Europe, some of which are now in museums? Wouldn't you want to keep it for sentimental value if there was a possibility that, one day, it would be placed in a museum, too, along with some of your other finds? Thanks for indulging my curiosity!

Which detector and which coil did you sent in to be repaired? HH Dennis in Idaho

they asked you if you wanted the cardboard but not the coil,that is a strange question if you ask me,was this warranty work or did you pay?i would think that they would have asked if you wanted the old coil,but then again if it was warranty work they probably were thinking you may try to send it again when they flat out replaced the coil for you,either way if they gave you a new coil no charge(good deal)! i think

I guess it would be the same as the automotive business. Unless you specify you want the old parts back, they toss them. I know hind sight is 20/20, but a valuable lesson. If you want your old parts returned, specify that up front. Sorry to hear about your loss.

If the loose wire was within the coil it was not repairable! Be glad you got a brand new coil! I doubt the coil would be of that great an interest to anyone...but the treasure would be! I never heard anyone complain about getting a brand new part...

My first 5.3 coil was an awesome coil...seemed to find everything I could ask for and more... Till one day I eyeballed a quarter and the coil gave no reading:throw: Then I noticed when I wiggled coil wire it would be ok for a while...but than long periods with no signal! I was so happy when Whites replaced the coil...just take a look at that shiney bright coil, stick it on and make it work! Good luck, I think White's did the right thing... No good company wants their customers to have faulty products...and it does not sound like you mentioned having faulty parts shipped back to you at your expense... Pretty sure it is common practice for a business replacing a part under warranty to have the old one back...good luck with new coil....:detecting:

ya, but it is strange that they called to see if he wanted the cardboard,i mean is that service or what!

Old , faulty coil wouldn't be worth squat in my opinion - no great loss.
HH
BB

Okay, let's see if I can make this more clear. I bought a White's 6000 DiPro in 1986 and have used it both in the U.S. and in Europe. A few weeks ago, I was using it around a friend's metal deer stand, trying to find his lost class ring from Puerto Rico. All of a sudden, the metal-detector started going nuts! It also kept hanging up on undergrowth and a few minutes later, I dropped it. The lower shaft broke and the wire connection on top of the search coil, that looks like a white nut, that connects the wire to the control box was loose. So, I sent the machine to the factory. I asked them to fix my favorite machine ASAP (meaning the control box) and told them that I wanted the loose wire repaired (meaning the connection on top of the search coil). I NEVER dreamed they would instead destroy my old coil, when they decided it was beyond repair, without first consulting me. Since they called about the cardboard box, I thought they might have shown common courtesy and told me my coil was no longer performing up to their standards, then asked if I wanted it returned or replaced. But, they only said that doing so would be too costly for them and they couldn't afford to do it for each and every customer! In the same email, they told me that they had to destroy my old coil because of governmental regulations and implied that all metal detectorists were too stupid to know how to properly dispose of such electronic parts. They said the fines for not properly disposing of such parts were too costly. That's why the factory threw the coil away. Please don't misunderstand me! I appreciate them sending me a new coil and a new shaft. I REALLY DO! But, it's just the principle of the thing! I thought I was the one who should decide the outcome of my old coil; not the factory. When I sent in my machine, I didn't want a new coil. I loved my old one! But, if they had called and let me know that my old one wasn't working properly, I would have gladly paid for a new coil, since I still wanted to keep my old one. You might think I'm crazy; but that coil, as I said before, had A LOT of sentimental value to me! And, if it wasn't working properly, as the factory rep said, I think it is still my decision to make, whether I keep it or toss it. No one but me has the legal right to decide what happens to the property I bought 22 years ago. I had trusted this company with my metal-detecting needs for all those years. Now, I don't know what to think! When I sent in my machine, I thought I made myself as clear as possible as to what I wanted fixed. I now see that I wrongfully assumed that. Heck, I even told them that I was thinking of buying a DFX and a TM808, at the same time. So, the cost of buying a new coil didn't matter to me! I guess no matter how well you think you've explained something to the factory reps, some of them are still going to be confused. As one of you said, this is an awfully HARD lesson! I guess the next time I need something fixed, I'm going to send them written instructions with a diagram of what I want to keep and what I no longer care about! Or, maybe I'll just learn how to do my own repairs!

I think you're making too much out of it, but that's me. I'd be happy with a repaired machine and new coil, especially if it's 22 years old as you say. Lucky that a new coil was available and you didn't have to replace the whole machine..
HH
BB

I can kinda see where you are coming from on this, it being 22 years old I think you should have been asked if you want it returned to you with the new coil. I think some of the blame could be laid at your feet as well though. I have told car repair people that say a part is old and in need of replacement that I would like my old part returned to me when the service is complete mostly because I dont trust them, but I feel it is my responsibility to tell them what I want, because otherwise they would just dispose of the old parts.

I too have things of sentimental value but I have learned along time ago not to try to hold on to things.
It's sad when sentimental things vanish but thats how the world is. Things come and go; Things change and sometimes
dramatically! I have my memories though but even THEY change over time. Nothing is forever except maybe death and taxes.
Be happy they gave you another coil. Happy hunting friend!

RR

I'd say SUE them !!-- for causing mental and emotional health loss, and then report them for coil abuse. Then order some cheese to go with that wine. Dude--reality check ! I know why you put it on the forum--because everybody kept hanging up the phone on you about it.

i see what you are saying they distroyed property that did not belong to them,i think they should have given you the option to keep the coil so you could hang it on the wall,or have it replaced but they didn't,a little rude,they may have taken to much for granite. i have no idea what they mean by goverment reg. and proper disposal,i hope there's no radiation involved because if there is i'm in trouble! i for one vote that you should have a whole coil lineup free of charge,they screwed up! oh well what do you do,happens to everyone every now and again! HH!

Coils is coils, I doubt seriously, not intending to bag you our here, that anyone in the world would look at a search coil and go "geepers, so thats that coil that found all that stuff, quick, wheres my camera, oh boy what a legendary search coil if only I could touch it!" Over here I Aus the guy that found the legendary "Hand of Faith" nugget , around 800 oz, with an old Garrett Deepseeker a while back thought he would see what he could get for his "Legendary" Deepseeker. He reckoned he should easy get $5000, after all "IT" was the machine that found the worlds biggest recorded detected nugget to date.
The highest offer, $250 AUD. He was mortified, and still is , but just cannot grasp the fact that its just an old Garrett Deepseeker and any other machine at the time if it had been swung over it could have snagged the same nugget, a Whites, Tesoro, or even another persons Deepseeker.
I owned years back a PI machine that found for me 1000s of gold nuggets and specimens but when the next model hit the street which was better it was dumped like a hot rock for the newy. My latest machine too has found heaps of gold and was a Trojan. WAS? Im sort of in the same boat as you because it played up and after I sent it back for repair they scrapped it and sent me a new one. Do I miss the old one? Nah, good ridence, it had had its day and I was wrapt to the eyeballs that they were good enough to give me a whole new machine out of decency.

n/t

Hey, thanks everybody for your remarks, even the one or two that were kind of rude! I really appreciate them! But, what happened to me just proves that the world has changed an awful lot and I guess I shouldn't be as sentimental as I am. But, live and learn! Being sentimental is just the way I was raised, and I've always been a nut about history! Yeah, I know, some of you are thinking, "He's a nut, alright!" HA! Now, I'm going to have to see if my new coil is just as good as my old one. I've got my eye on a church that dates back to 1886 and I'm dying to see if I can still find the silver and gold with my DiPro like I once did. Excuse me - I think I hear a church bell ringing! Gotta go answer that call! Thanks again!

>>>>>>>But, live and learn! Being sentimental is just the way I was raised, <<<<<<<<<<

That is an excuse most people use to justify their character.
No one has to be held hostage to their upbringing regardless of how enlightened
that upbringing was or how brutal it may have been. Unless your in the
advanced stages of alzhimer's desease you have the ability to look at your
life and make changes. That being said, you have to be your own judge. No one
can legitimize your thoughts/actions but you.

End of Sermon on the Mount!:beers:

RR

>>>>>>>Unless your in the advanced stages of alzhimer's desease you have the ability to look at your life and make changes.<<<<<<<:rofl:

So, how do you legitimize your bad spelling? "Your" should have been spelled "you're" as in YOU ARE! :rofl:

"Alzhimer's" should have been spelled Alzheimer's and "desease" should have been spelled disease!:yikes:

You also have the ability to look at your spelling and make changes! :clapping:

So, I suggest you take the beam out of your own eye, before you try to remove the splinter from mine!:usaa:

Besides, who died and made you God?

Oh my! What do we have here?:lol:
Take my remarks in the way they were intended. Life is too short
to see the negative in things.:nono: No insult was ever intended.
Take care of yourself.:angel:
RR