Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kind of ground do you hunt in mostly?

jbow

I realize that any locality can have different types of soils especially in yards and parks where soil may have been brought in and also conditioned... but... what sort of ground do you encounter most of the time.

I will start: around here most of the ground is iron bearing, rocky, red clay and of course anyplace that holds relics or old coins usually also is littered with small iron or square nails... or worse... cut square nails. I have a few sites where there is some softer and darker soil but if you dig deep enough you hit the red clay. I'd call it medium to medium-high mineralization at most places.

I think it will help to know this because a lot of people do not have their city/state on their posts (everyone should add city/state to their signature... it would really help everyone who is trying to apply what is posted) and even if I know where you are... I still probably wont know what kind of ground you have there unless you tell me.
Knowing this will help me to interpret what advice you are giving and how the settings you use might apply or not apply to where and how I hunt.

Thanks,
Julien

Julien on the West cost in Ca we have black Sand, I just got a PI unit, Mickfin

Hi Jbow
Being from central Georgia, as you know, the soil is horrible. I hunt mostly old homes in a mill town located about 5 miles from my home. The soil here creates a real challenge for my V3i (highly mineralized red clay), I have a silver dime buried at 6 inches in my back yard and no matter what settings or filters I use, I cannot lock in on it. With the soil like it is most of my coins have been around 3 to 5 inches deep.

That sounds like what I deal with... it is tough.

J

Hi MillerTime, So on your ground is it tuffer to work thean Black Sand??? It sounda Like you should try a PI unit to go out and hunt it wont see the ground and you can go DEEPER!!! N wen you get Frustrated LOL you can get your V3 , Mickfin

Hi Mickfin
Thanks for the recommendation (PI), but I think my next one is going to be a TDI - I got to do some more research, but at present this is the direction that I'm going. I got to find something that will punch thru this crap we call red clay. Have a nice day.

Yes M/T my Whites Dealer has a TDI and its a PI Disc its a good unit N i think youl be happy, I have my V3i, Im a Whites user I had to go with the Tesoro Piranha PI unit,
See i need a volume cozz my Ears cant take the Loud sound anymore, Els i would have a Whites Duel Filed PI My other 2 units V3i / Eagle II SL 90 , Mickfin

Here in the Pacific NW we get a huge mix of soil types but,mostly medium to mild. Glacial till can be real nasty, beaches can run the gamut, and like all farmland, ours can have huge variables. I've been able to easily compensate for all EMI (so far) and been able to at least get OK depth in nasty soil. Max coin depth has been 7 inches (in glacial till) and coin VDI's are only in the 20% range (of the total read) in that soil at any + 5 depth. Aside from EMI situations, haven't used the V3i upgrade in the bad stuff yet.

Did pull a 1957 Rosie from 7"(VDI's penny to quarter) and a mint condition 1930's bronze razor (YES) from under heavy use power lines last night. (The razor still had full gilt and dime the was black?)