Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is going on minelab???

Though I’ve been silent of late on the forums I’m still swing my EQX800 as my primary unit.
My 2¢ After approx 18 months of use, I’m pretty happy but know it’s shortcomings ...
Re durability. Received mine in March 2018 and there’s no long winter layover as we are sunbirds. It has at least 15+ hours submerged in salt water without any issues. A thorough warm fresh water bath followed every immersion. My conclusion is For saltwater wading I prefer my modded Excalibur 2 skipping iron or one of my PI’s if digging it all. The Equinox is killer deep over wet salt saturated sand. I plan to use my EQX in fresh water when I finally get to a special spot. I have other freshwater discriminating detector choices but I need to see what I left behind. Coil ears are fine because my norm is to place a rubber washer on the outside of each coil ear with a hard nylon washer on top of the rubber one then thread the nylon bolt through. This spreads ands cushions the torque of the wing-nut at the same time locks the coil better into position. I started doing this over a decade ago wading and land detectors, replacing the old fashioned loop supports. I still keep the supports around for use on weighted coils (PI Diver). I run an aftermarket CF rod and locks with a choice of arm-cuff swaps. My stock rod did not wobble, I hated the cam locks trapping silt & I saved weight. Another mod is a no rot cross chest strap for hands free scoop and shovel work without setting the detector down. It’s not a bungee thing but a way to let go without dropping it or having it get away in the water. It has a nylon swivel snap hook at each end and attaches to a cable tie I loop through the arm-cuff slot or spare cuff mounting hole depending...

Though I have not contributed or commented in a long time I think one of my findings during EQX ownership may help someone. Ya must try my coil ear saver mod, match the diameter of the thin rubber and nylon washers together and it’s a sinch. Always tighten wingnut against one of the nylon washer with the rubber ones sandwiched against the ears. I’m looking forward taking my EQX 800 to Pound the Ground 2!
HH-Bruce

Hi Bruce, thanks for the idea with the nylon washers. I had the similar thing pop in my mind when I read about the EQ broken coil ears but hadn't tried it out. I'll definitely will do this next run out I have with my EQ. cheers...Keith