Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is going on minelab???

C

calabash digger

What is going on???? Just have had to get one replaced...now the external speaker isn't working right...muffled sounding.. one guy made a post about this exact issue.. and said minelab burped his machine..

It looks like Minelab has no problem with producing products that are lacking in quality materials and workmanship.
Broken coil ears
Leaking waterproof detectors
Flemsy shaft
Broken arm cup
In my opinion their technology is the best but the quality of the detector is far below another waterproof detector that everyone knows, not to mention their name.
So the true cost of an Equinox is 1600 dollars, you need to buy 2 so hopefully you will have one that is working.
Guess who's fault this is, ours. We keep buying them.

I have a second one on the way.

Calabash you have really started something, but it is time we all speak up .
For the record I love the Equinox technology but really wish it wasn't so cheaply make.
Could you imagine a detector with Equinox technology, factory supplied carbon fiber shaft, detachable remote like the deus, arm cup and coil material that wouldn't break, completely wireless and waterproof?
Who wouldn't want one.

If it’s going to flood ....do it now is all I ask lol. I have had the coil, cuff and shaft replaced... on them. I’ve got a much better CF shaft now.

Haven't taken mine out of the box, yet, so not sure if it would flood out. What bothers me, besides the coil wire diameter, is the fact that the battery is not user accessible. What happens if the battery dies when the detector is out of warranty?

calabash digger said:
Battery is easy to replace..
But is it easy to replace while still retaining the detectors waterproof integrity?

I recently dunked mine in a lake by accident where I was hunting Second Seminole War artifacts and it has been OK. Having said that, I've played it safe and considered both my CTX and EQX as "water proof" where rain and accidental dunking are concerned only. At my age, I don't have any desire to hunt in deeper water so if the EQX can stand the rain on our Florida beaches and an occasional wave splash I'm OK...but that's just me.

Going cheap on gaskets was the issue with the CTX initially. I would have hoped they had learned their lesson. It seems that the EQX is suffering similar issues.

My Excals, at least in the past, have passed the waterproof test...but that has been several years ago.

Bottom line: I don't intend to take my EQXs under water. However, if Minelab advertises the CTX and EQX as waterproof at 10 ft then it should be just that...period. No "abnormalities" accepted. Make it truly waterproof or don't advertise it as such....just the view from my foxhole.

ColonelDan said:
I recently dunked mine in a lake by accident where I was hunting Second Seminole War artifacts and it has been OK. Having said that, I've played it safe and considered both my CTX and EQX as "water proof" where rain and accidental dunking are concerned only. At my age, I don't have any desire to hunt in deeper water so if the EQX can stand the rain on our Florida beaches and an occasional wave splash I'm OK...but that's just me.

Going cheap on gaskets was the issue with the CTX initially. I would have hoped they had learned their lesson. It seems that the EQX is suffering similar issues.

My Excals, at least in the past, have passed the waterproof test...but that has been several years ago.

Bottom line: I don't intend to take my EQXs under water. However, if Minelab advertises the CTX and EQX as waterproof at 10 ft then it should be just that...period. No "abnormalities" accepted. Make it truly waterproof or don't advertise it as such....just the view from my foxhole.

I could not agree more!!! Shame on Minelab foremost. But guys giving them a pass JUST BECAUSE it's an affordable machine?? That doesn't sit well. If they added $100 to these machines they could have doubled the quality. I understand it's not a $3k machine. BUT ITS ALSO NOT FREE!

ColonelDan said:

Ditto, if mine is good in the rain and accidentally dunked I am ok with that but, for the guys who want to hunt with it submerged, I hope for the best for them.

JoeL0 said:
ColonelDan said:

Ditto, if mine is good in the rain and accidentally dunked I am ok with that but, for the guys who want to hunt with it submerged, I hope for the best for them.

Appreciate that, JoeLO. :thumbup:

Since we are venting, I wanted to put in my 2 cents...No Nox problems, as mine is failrly new...As far as the Excal, the stock headphones are terrible. My biggest issue on these is, too much outside noise can be heard and makes it hard to hear those faint signals. The shaft isn't all that great either. For a 1500 dollar machine I would expect better quality. Luckily I got mine used at a good price and wasn't the first one to drive it off the lot.

Deus was/is cleaning Minelabs clock so??? Get the Equinox out the door ready or not.

Absolutely no issues with my 800, no leaks, shaft wobbling, or any other thing. Schedules are made, agreements for manufacturing signed, investors want ROI...and to keep costs down(like WE wanted) perhaps they were stressed into an error. Everybody wants it priced right, made right and right now. Go figure that something might happen to a few of these...

IDXMonster said:
Absolutely no issues with my 800, no leaks, shaft wobbling, or any other thing. Schedules are made, agreements for manufacturing signed, investors want ROI...and to keep costs down(like WE wanted) perhaps they were stressed into an error. Everybody wants it priced right, made right and right now. Go figure that something might happen to a few of these...
Same experience here. We tend to hear about the problems on the forums, but there are thousands of units purring along with no problems we never hear about.