Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you think?

DJR

Ok here is a question for someone whom has found caches.

I recently detected and old homesite next to a river that has been "converted" into a storm pond. While detecting this spot I did find some modern clad. However and here is where I have been having sleepless nights...I had a hit on something about 8+" that at frist rang up all over the coin range (silver zone).BOING! BOING! BOING! Then I started getting its in the iron range. I dug done abit and found some broken cinder blocks. removed these from the hole and tested to see if that was giving off the iron signals. Nope. Then I went back and ran the detector over it again and it did the same coin tones then iron then coins. Dug some more and found what appeared to be a large can of some sort with its top missing (I took it off after digging some of it out of the ground). This rang up as iron. So I tried the spot again and again the coin signals followed by the iron. What I am thinking (as some of you out there are as well) maybe there are coins in this large metal can that did have a lid on it has coins in it? What do you think. I covered it back up and will be returning to find out. I have been fooled by this signal before. It is tangled in some roots of a hedge row which is also making me think a hidden stash. It is going to be tough to dig it out that is why I am asking before I go to the trouble and find out I am wrong. Then again it is haunting me as if it is I will be doing that dance we all love to do occasioanlly!

Am using the ACE 250 and used both large and sniper coils on this target and got both to read the same.

Don

These are not my words but I did read them on this forum...The best discriminator is your digging tool. If it turns out to be junk it certainly won't be the last junk you dig up.

Just go for it!

I would say go get that sucker dug out and find out whats in it like was said if it is junk it won't be the first or last you have dug. Howard

Even if it is nothing , You have to go dig it up ! Now the suspense is killing Me ! Go now man ! , Dig Dig Dig !!! Lol :yikes:

Are you saying the top was off the can? What was in the can? Best just to dig it all up and see. You halfway there anyway. Good luck!

If it is indeed a mega cache you need to divide the money up between all that said DIG! I will PM you my address so you'll know where to send the gold or cash equivalent. I will pay the shipping to help you out. Please hurry as I have some bills to pay and would like a new machine also.
Sincerely,
Kenny

You guys are cracking me up!

Yes I know I did not dig it up because I did not have the right tools at the time. It is at the base of a large viburnum bush and has huge roots all around. It was quiting time anyway.

I was barely able to get the top of the lid to rip off and I did stick my hand in a little (very sharp edges) and the hole was not big enough for my hand. It is I think one of those olive oil cans so it is quite large. I guess I will have to bring my pruning saw and sharpen a shovel and go for it. If it was just the can and ringing iron the whole time and those flat pieces of cinder block were not on top I would have just figured junk and then the coin signals:razz:...Maybe this weekend if I can drag myself away from "home work" and I will undo the "rath of anxiety" I have caused!

Sorry guys

I will give you an answer soon!

Don

khouse said:
If it is indeed a mega cache you need to divide the money up between all that said DIG! I will PM you my address so you'll know where to send the gold or cash equivalent. I will pay the shipping to help you out. Please hurry as I have some bills to pay and would like a new machine also.
Sincerely,
Kenny
DIG,DIG,DIG,DIG,DIG,DIG,DIG,DIG,:goodnight:
do i get a bigger shere sense i said it more :heh:

I wouldn't dig it! Sounds like to much trouble and you might cut yourself in the process. Just let your imagination take over of what it might of been. ARE YOU CRAZY MAN! GET OUT THEIR WITH A BACK HOE AND DIG MAN DIG!

Nah I wouldn't bother if I were were you. Too much trouble n you might cut yer hand.
Just exactly where is that tree anyhow:detecting:

OK guys

I went back to the potential cache spot...It still eludes me...I dug the top off this thing I believe is a tank or an old well. As soon as I opened the top I was careful to see what was inside as ya' never know...no petroleum smell or chemical smell so I am assuming it is a well I found some piping inside the tank. I dug out some dirt but could only get so much out could not reach down any further! I checked the hole with the sniper and it was ringing dang coins all over the place. Checked the sides of the tank chimed in as iron.

So I hate to keep you all in suspense a little longer but now I need to bring a post hole digger to get down deep enough and hopefully there WILL BE COINS IN THERE!!!!!!! I did check around a little more of this site and there is a lot of broken old bottles and old stuff I believe 50's maybe 40's from what I see. I need to do some detective work on who, what, and where before the county turned it into a storm pond (previous owners).

Sorry guys I am just as anxious!

Don

If I ever find something like that, I will dig with my bare hands if necessary. Always carry a big shovel in your car! I can hardly wait to read about the great find.
Your Friend,
John D.

I had a shovel but could not get in there deep enough. So I will have to use a post hole digger (very carefully) to dig out the innerds! Then I am going to figure out what was on site. Old aerials are going to have to be looked at carefully. I did see structure on a 1943 topo that we have in our county collection. So I am assuming this place was there prior to 1943.

I will get there soon I hope could not do it this weekend (wifes birthday) We went to Yankeetown Fl for an over night bed & breakfast stay, of course in an old house.

WOW the old houses in that area!!!!:biggrin:

Don

AS you lift the sniper coil off the ground how far up is it registering from the hole this is how far you have left to dig.Is one of the ringing tones how wide is it or from side to side from front to back small narrow probably a coin. Have you pinpointed one of the object and then stomp the ground in that area to see if it changes the object location or the id ?If you think it is a stash i would use a small shovel and take one clump out instead of multiply hole with a small digging tool,and bring a cloth or something to put the dirt on so when you replace the dirt there is none on surrounding ground. The sniper coil will go pretty deep wide open probably 6 to 7 inches on a quarter.Have you changed from all metal mode to notching in just dimes and quarters to see what you hear?If you find a can buried watch your depth meter as you swing over it it will jump from say 1 inch to 5 or 6 inch as you pass over a bigger object small object such as coin will usually only jump a inch or so.Hope this helps some