Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you do when...

Taterhead

You are without your detector due to travel, or you can't detect during weather? I'm in California where you can detect almost every day all year if you have your machine and as a result I'm so addicted that I struggle to do something else to fill the time...

This time its the gym. I started going to the gym when I mailed my machine out and I actually feel pretty good about it.

I also find that when I have to travel for work or whatever sit on airplanes it relaxes me to picture the V3 screen. Its so programmed into my brain that I go from sweep, to hearing a tone and seeing the VDI screen, to pinpointing and analyze mode that it happens automatically!

When I get back to the detector after having been away from it, it feels awkward at first. If its more than a week, I find my arm tires out faster and my "digging muscles" feel out of shape! Maybe I can find some exercizes to stay fit for detecting? Squats, anyone?

Sooooo...how do you handle time away from your machine? Do you have other hobbies that fill the space or do you just suffer in silence, analyzing the targets in your brain?

Tater.

I can't imagine live with one detector and I drive an extended cab F-150 and usually have at least three machines with me (different site: different conditions= different detector).

However.. the rain... it has rained so much lately and now I think I have the flu. I was going out today and tomorrow but i'm just not up to it ...so I sit here and read great posts and type stupid stuff...

Thursday it was rainy so I got out a bunch of relics and coins and made a TID list using the F75 LTD, I had forgotten all the numbers. I need to do it with the V3... maybe i'll feel like getting out of the chair tomorrow.. *cough**

J

Nice Jbow! Here's to feeling better and making that VDI list so you can post it up for the rest of us. :)

I don't know enough to know about other detectors for other conditions, as I'm a beginner. Its just that the V3 is so customizable that with the right coil it can do everything, even prospect, not that I've managed to find anything prospecting, but still. I haven't found a condition yet where I can't optimize it, it adapts great at the beach going from dry to wet without skipping a beat, in trash, in mineralized ground, around other detectors, the list goes on...

I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm so addicted to the data and flexibility that I use the V3 instead of my BHID 300 at the beach, even though I am afraid to go too deep and swamp it. Now, if whites made a totally submersible V3 with waterproof coil changing opportunity, I'd easily empty my bank account for it!!

Tater.

Prospecting of course!:biggrin: And if I cant do either,it probably means Im shoveling snow.:lol:

Tater...used to be golf would take most of my time but seems detecting is number one and the golf clubs are put away for this year and at least 4 months of next (I used to golf year long, cold, snow, rain whatever). But retirement allows me to keep a detector close by no matter where my travel (driving) takes me. It's the one hobby that one can do well into the later years of life. Simply put, detecting is very addictive. Thanks for the post, Jim

Here in Wisconsin I keep up with the forums, read the detecting magazines, study the manual and books. I also spend some quality time at my local historical society researching for next seasons hunts.I will hunt no matter how cold it gets but the problem is frozen ground, its a bitch to dig in. I find my self in the spring with a screw driver checking the ground for the first signs of a thaw. It sucks here but it gets you really pumped for the start of the detecting season. We have maybe 5-6 weeks left to hunt this year and I usually start again around the middle of March.

I guess it's like a fix... never know what you might find in hand rolled coins. Wouldn't about an 8 hour drive south put you somewhere that you could hunt a park?
I'm glad we don't get much nasty winter weather here... snow is pretty at first but it gets old fast, then it gets dirty... and then it gets really old. Have you thought about going to Detroit? Man, that place has whole neighborhoods that look deserted.. looks like a detectorist' paradise (as long as you are in a group). Of course, considering the direction our country is headed none of us may have to drive far to hunt deserted neighborhoods....

J

http://www.landliving.com/articles/0000000995.aspx

detroit_08.jpg

http://weburbanist.com/2008/10/28/12-abandoned-houses-deserted-neighborhoods-and-ghost-towns/

Only hunting in the fall sparks my interest as much as detecting, and we'll soon be back to just detecting and research weather. During the year, if it isn't detecting or research, I enjoy shooting.

Monte