Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well time to go...

and it lasted about 2 weeks before it crapped out. Fisher sent out the replacement Blue Label Air and the new machine was great.

Tom

So how was the performance of the first one for those two weeks compared to the second one?

and maybe you already mentioned this but I missed it. Just wondering if and what you and Cabelas tried to do to rectify this situation with your F-5. I mean did they offer a replacement, or did they try to defer responsibility to Fisher directly, or were you too pi$$ed off to want to even try another one no matter what the vendor and manufacturer was willing to do? I don't ask this to judge you or them... just to get the whole picture.

for a couple of reasons. First off it was what.. 5 years ago? My memory ain't that good :lol:. Second, there was quite a learning curve involved for all of us that were new to the C$. I remember Al Ga and a couple other of us on the forums trying to get a handle on the beast! the C$ audio is so fast it takes some time for the ear/brain to adjust to the audio input. I remember at first having to notch out at least the foil zone to be able to handle all the audio information it was giving. One thing I do remember doing was comparing it in ground to the CZ-5 on low conductors. I mean small stuff like rotted 22 hulls ect. the C$ was much more accurate in ID with none of the bouncing iron/foil readings of the CZ-5.

Oh yeah.. forgot. In head to head comparisons on undug targetsthe C$ absolutely blew away the MXT which was also a new release at the time. I think they came out within a week of each other.

Tom

I remember those days well. There was no experience out there with them and most folks were just trying to hunt and minimize the head scratchin' and the excessive and unconscience muttering of theose famous words, "What the heyull?" So I certainly understand where you're coming from but was just curious if by chance you were able to notice same performance or not, indicating some build variation.

Brad,

This is for my friend Rick who wrote the post I linked to below. He has been debating getting a small coil for his C$ for some time. How would you compare the Edge to the C$ both equipped with the small coil? Depth in iron, Iron see thru ect on coins?

Thanks

Tom

I'd give the nod to the Edge based primarily on the better audio of the two. If you find a C$ that is "hot", I'd go with it based on what I've seen and keep in mind I only had one Edge so I'm a little limited on data. :)

When you perform an act and gain empirical datum that is real world, not "well, I think..."
There is a difference, though some people cannot distinguish the difference.

I struggle to understand that what you went through (and actually Scott here for that matter) was actually pain. It's sorta like when the Hollywood types make political statements that are their opinions and then when a lot of folks who don't share those opinions choose to boycott their movies, then the Hollywood types bitc* and moan that they were wronged. There are consequences for everything we do and we don't get to control all those consequences, PERIOD! You've stressed multiple times that you did this comparison upon request. The request part doesn't change a thing. You chose to do the comparisons and when folks don't agree with you, it would serve you well to have a set big enough so as not to be overly sensitive when you take some heat. I believe that was Gene's suggestion to Scott also. There are all sorts of examples of less than ideal personality dynamics in this hobby that are present in society. Greed, need for notoriety and recognition, destructive competitiveness, are just a few that come to mind. None of these typically serve it's abusers well and typically a lot of folks don't respond favorably when looking upon these behaviors. As you well know, when you were going through the drama of your "comparison", I questioned your motive and then made an effort via PM's behind the scenes to help you get the most out of your F-2 as well as suggesting you do what is necessary to confirm your particular unit was or wasn't up to snuff as per factory specs. Without knowing that part, of what validity was your test? You responded a few times and said you'd try some of the stuff I mentioned when you had a chance and then faded away without confirmation one way or the other and went back to the Garrett forum and complained some more about the treatment you incurred. As far as I could tell, you at the very least didn't look into the part about confirming the unit was actually right to begin with. That's your choice and I have no issue with that, unless you sold it to someone else, but it's like any other problem solving venture... if you're not willing to do all you can with the options available to you to clarify and rectify the situation, then at the very least YOU are a part of the problem. You're choice to never do comparisons again is certainly a valid one and your prerogative. Not exclusively requiring singing praises for your efforts and letting the chips fall where they may when you've done a THOROUGH test, including the part about confirming you're actually testing a unit representative of typical properly functioning production units is another. I'm gonna make an assumption here and say I THINK (well, maybe it's I HOPE) most people that do these tests want it to be as pertinent and valid as possible. To do so, one must be willing to turn all the stones over. If not, then it becomes just reading material. I truly mean this response to be constructive, not combative or derogatory. As I said, you can take it as intended or just as some more of what you thought you got before. Hopefully the fact that I tried to help validates MY motive.

So you feel there is some difference in theCoinstrike(s) you have/had or tried out? Was it mostly to do with the audio characteristics or was one a bit hotter? I had 3 (counting the initial problem one) and the last 2 seemed the same to me performance wise in my test garden. Unfortunately I don't have deep known targets to test on, they are all next to iron junk! :lol:

Thanks again
Tom

First...please do not argue the point any longer....not saying this to you Buckeye...rather to anyone. I made my point and now it is time to see if I had just the lone POS or if it is a systemic issue. Let's just wait and see what happens when atleast 4 or 5 others get one.

Anyway to Brad, Cabelas did not have any on hand at the moment....I guess they just received a few at first although not sure how many that is...5, 10, 20,,,,who knows. They were expecting more and the stores would have them in stock.

To get a replacement from the catalog side I would have had to send it in...wait for one to come in and then ship it ground. Even if they are in stock it takes 2 weeks atleast for a replacement which is pathetic. If they had one at the local Cabelas I would have taken a replacemnt but they did not.

Maybe this next run of F5's will be fine.

Again......let's just let it rest for the moment and wait.

scott

Hi SNH:

Well, hope you decide to stay around. I hope people
will let this go now, as this thread has been running long enough.
Seems what needed to be said was said and it's time to move on.
There's always going to be the disenchanted. I've traveled that path
many times but I get over it. Just keep doing your reviews.

Regards
RR:clapping:

n/t

I always liked the Edge audio better. I bought mine early.... in fact it was the first one the dealer had gotten and it worked perfectly. It had great depth, more than the several Excels I had, but slightly less than my first C$. I've only owned two C$ but have played around with a couple others and one of them was noticeably deeper while being more stable than the rest. :shrug: Not exactly night and day, but a couple inches in depth can be a BIG deal.

I get em in a PM or a an email...and they are not horrid...I have had worse. I am not going to point out anyone...it is not important to me....people tend to get deeply attached to a manufacturer and then seem to take it personal...which is fine but not for me.
By the way, maybe I should clarify what I was referring to....no one and I mean NO ONE physically threaghtened me. Rather it starts to break down into nasty insults and that stuff...and it was not many but...it was enough that once the first few start it is time to quit. If not...it grows and grows....put simply when the posts, PM's, or emails get personal on the level of insults and stuff...you are one level away from the threats and stuff. So....it was time to be wise and end it before it grew worse...and I for one...like to rumble....and I will go at it with anyone who starts insults and such...yet it gains nothing.
Anyway, I read the threads below my post and please, while I got some rude and bonehead stuff sent.....I am fine. It will cool off.
Now...someone go buy an F5 and let us know how it works......if I see one in Cabelas in a few weeks I will buy it and try it again. No money loss if you buy from a store and not have it shipped. I can return it even if I like it and it works which is what I am going to do....bugggers owe me 38.00 in lost shipping fees. Was going to do it on the F70 but had it had an issue it would have been an overload on this forum....someone else needs to try it. If it had flunked on me.....well.....man....lets not go there.
Good luck...go detecting.....wish I could go just one more time back in NH...man I miss that..:-(
scott

The coin$trike is top of the line, and hard to beat in the right hands,the very best in seperation,and one of the best for quick response.The problem is not the machine but the driver.No one wants to learn this machine, it takes 40 to 60 hours to love the coin$trike,Once mastered you will never get rid of it.

Brad,
I also bought a new F2 at the same time as BCD and we tested them side-by-side... the described "Pain" is in buying a new machine, finding out that it doesn't work well, then taking the batteries out and sticking it into a closet.

I realize that it takes many hours of use to get the most out of any machine, but it doesn't take very long before I know whether or not I'm going to 'get along' with any particular detector. I've only been doing this since the mid-nineties and don't consider myself an expert by any stretch, but I have a battery of tests that I put any new machine through.

You're implying that BCD got a "bad" machine, maybe so. If that's the case, then I got a bad one too.

I posted my review on neutral ground and have pasted it here:

Skillet in USA -
My hunting bud and I just bought two of the new, Fisher F2 detectors... at about $200, extra 4" coil and lower shaft included, it seemed like a heck of a deal.

(We both own several different makes/models and are both familiar with using TID machines).

Posters on the forums were giving them great reviews as well, seemed like a no-brainer!

I fully expected it to shoot my 250 right out of the saddle!

I was soon to find, however, that this wouldn't be the case..

The first alarming issue was the fact that the stock 8" coil was a dud, dead in the water. Machine wouldn't power-up at all with the big coil. Worked just fine with the 4", however, and I had a spare 8" BH coil that worked just fine on the machine as well... time to do some hunting!

Second issue: the arm rest on my machine was mounted off-level. This resulted from the mounting holes being drilled off-plane. Mostly cosmetic, I could correct for this while hunting, still it doesn't speak too well for quality control.

Third issue: I quickly found that the coin-depth readout was not accurate at all. Coins were reading 1-2" deep in pinpoint mode when they were actually much deeper.

I tried it on targets in my test plot, all items buried 3-5" deep. It would indicate a depth of 2" on the deeper targets. My other machines with depth-indications are dead-on on reading depths on the same targets.

Fourth Issue: The VDI readout is so 'twitchy' and jumpy, that it is all but useless, especially on any target deeper than about 3"

Fifth Issue: Poor depth, In a nearby park, I have a dime buried at 5.5" deep in clean ground. The F2 couldn't hit the coin at all with the 4" coil. With the 8" coil it would hit it, but the audio ID would register like iron, and the visual displays would jump all over the scale without a good 'lock-in'.

Out of 11 different machines on my rack, this machine is the only one that wouldn't give-up a diggable coin signal on this dime. My 250 will hit it solid even with a 4.5" coil.

Fisher, to their credit, has sent me a replacement 8" coil. It works no better than the BH coil did, so I know that it's not an issue with the first coil I tested.

My hunting bud's observations mirrored mine, except that he didn't get a bad first coil and his armrest wasn't crooked.

Sad to report, but this new F2 is for sale as I can't see myself getting much hunting time in with it.

I have to give it 1 star... zero stars if that's allowed.

When my bud and I posted our observations about the F2 on a Fisher forum (we were not rude, this is a machine I tried very hard to like!) the moderator quickly deleted the string... sad.

I'm not a brand-loyal 'basher'... I own Garretts, White's, Tesoros, an Explorer etc. and use the heck out of them all.

My impression of the F2, I feel compelled to report, is not favorable at all.
Jan 11, 2008
36 people found this review helpful.

These are simple observations, I don't consider them to be opinions. When I see a machine register a 5" bullet as 2", or fail to give a good signal on a dime that all of my other machines hit just fine, that's not an opinion.

Not trying to bash, I've seen fellows who kick proverbial butt with Fisher machines and would certainly consider getting another one in the future, just not an F2, not for me.

I'm considering sending mine in for evaluation... could come back as 'a new machine'. If that happens, I'll certainly re-post on my observations.

Peace,
Skillet

I remember you chiming in with BCD before. I wrote a gawd awfully long reply just now and then opted to keep it relatively short and sweet. Novel approach for me. :D If I would have bought a new F-2 and it performed like you two reported, my feelings would have been similar. The similarity ends here though because I wouldn't have written about it anywhere or considered selling it UNTIL the factory said my detector and coils were working as well as they can. THAT was my main point to your friend.

i know this sounds strange,however from everything you describe,it would appear that you have two lemons on your hands!..call fisher,and tell THEM what you told us!..if possible,SEND 'em in to them,and let THEM tell you if they are performing correctly,because it sure doesn't sound like they are!..just my two cents!

(h.h!)
j.t.