Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Web Links With Detailed Info On General Detecting?

chipmaker29

Hi Everyone!

As I am new to this hobby & cannot find anyone in my area that is into this hobby, I was wondering if any of you know of really good informative sites that I can go to & read/research to learn everything thing I can about detecting. Specifically the detectors in general. What type of metals give off specific tones, information on pros/cons of coil sizes, or anything like that. Not looking for brand specific just good quality information. I just have much to learn overall & sites that i can read in-depth information about the detectors & exactly how they work would be very helpful!!

Thanks Guys!

Mike

Mike

What's the matter with these forum pages here at Finds ?

Do a search and you will locate all most all of what you want. You have 30 some odd forum pages to look had here at Finds, take advantage of it. There's no other web site this large.

Rissa

There is nothing @ all wrong with this website. It is very informative. It just seems like people do not want to give more lengthy responses to questions that i have. i love this site & have learned alot from it. i am just really new & could benefit from any info i can get @ this point. Maybe in part to i do not know exactly where to search for the certain info i am wanting. i am learning the navigation here as well.

At the top of this page is a long narrow box with ads in it. Right below that box is a small magnifying glass with the word search next to it. When you click on it you can type in a topic and choose which forums to read from. Lets say you own an Ace 250 and want to learn about small coils for it. Type in small coils, select the Garrett's User Forum and a time frame like one year. This will bring up all the posts about that. Tones vary from machine to machine and also depend on the settings you have selected, in some cases. For general information like potential sites, this forum, the Metal Detecting forum is a good one. Specific sites to hunt depends on your area of the country. You will also want to research things like accessories, code of ethics and test gardens. The best teacher will be experience. Good places to start are your yard and local playgrounds that have sand or wood chips. You can't damage wood chips, like you could someones lawn.

Hope this helps, Dave

Hi chipmaker29; Question.: Where do you live ??? and What type detector do you use or want to buy??? Answer those and we can respond more directly ok. PEACE:RONB

Dave,

Thanks for the help! I will utilize the info that you gave me.

Ron,

I live in Southeastern, IN and i am using a borrowed Whites Quantum XT & coil says Quantum Deepscan 950 on it. That is all i know & this is first machine i have ever had my hands on. I am waiting until i can afford the detector i want. i am goin to buy a Garret GTP 1350 within the next month. Have had difficulty finding info on this detector. Seems alot on MXT or sumthin similiar but very little on XT.

Thanks for the response!
Mike

Search QXT on the Whites Detecting forum.

Best bet is to just get one and get out there! I read and read stuff about detecting and thought I knew it all but my first time out, I realized I had no CLUE! You can't get good untill you have spent time out in the field. Thats the truth!

Thanks for reply. i have been out with my borrowed Whites machine. Reading for 2 months in advance of getting my hands on a machine helped me a HUGE amount. i cant complain about results. i have found tons of things, over 40 coins, many iron objects etc. i just think i am missing some objects because my home was built in 1840. there is more here i just gotta become better @ using the machine i have.

i have been using it for 2 weeks around my house. i will post pics of items that i have found.

mike

ok here are the pics of what i have around my home in the past couple weeks. detecting a couple hours @ a time whenever i could work it in. not pictured are the 13 horseshoes i have also found. i gave them to my horse nut daughter and her grandpa is re-finishing them for her....lol also there are 2 1940's silver quarters in there with oldest coin being a 1928 wheatback and 1 buffalo nickel that i cannot read date on. the 1944 canadian penny is in awesome shape. i cannot id some of the iron objects and any help would be appreciated. also, could use help id'ing the bullets and the 1 small shell casing. i know what the others are. also have bucketload of trash!!

wow no kidding you have a lot of big iron in the yard! Some of that is kinda cool and with it out of the way, you might start finding the coins now.

Hi chipmake; Your off to a good start.Nice collection of bullets there.They're always a good addiion to any collection.On the older stuff in your yard.First is obvious.The old saying is a 'Picture is worth a thousand words". Your picture shows a lot of iron and yet a few coins as well.Here's the dea.On a site like that whats happenng is all buried itmes have a tendency to fom layers.Your doing a great job removing the top layer of items. I bet after so much stuff is removed fom the top layer you need to redo the area again.This time what to do is to slow down a "lot".then overlap your swing and start digging the faint iffy type signals.It is then that you will really begin to find the items that date to when the house was built in the 1840's. Remember your cutting through 150 years of heavy use and its ensuing trash.Thats life in the fast lane. :lmfao: You will start to find the right period cins, relics etc.. Also remember some older coins 'DO NOT" read the same as new coins.The 1/2 dime does not sound like a regular dime even thoughit is silver.The 3 cent piece were also made in Nickel but are much smaller than a regular nickel.The silver ones sound like a dime.Don't forget the tokens as well.They can be made out of tin and sound like pulltabs ok. Buy youself the RS YEOMAN "Redbook". It is the "Bible" of US Coinage from the1500's to present ok.No decent detectorist would ever do without it.Buy the hard cover. The soft cover falls apart ok.They cost $15 - $18 new.Buy new only.I wish you well. Post the pics too.Remember "A fine meal takes a lot of ingredients to make;but the wait is well worth it." Your reward is the final meal; it sure is FINE.ok. PEACE:RONB :detecting: EAT HARDY.!!!

Ron, (i am assuming that is ur name but correct me if i am wrong)

thanks for the informative reply. i will get the book that you suggested. i am kinda an amateur coin collector already & have many coin examples from say civil war period to present. so i am able to identify alot of coins whenever i see them but really old ones i wouldnt know. i have figured out that some old coins read differently than modern ones which is confusing to me. I understand what u r saying about "clearing out" all old iron items and trash b/f i can get to the quality stuff. one thing i am baffled by is i figured older items would be deeper than newer things but man i had to dig my but off for that old pan/caster/hinge. all in same area and way deep...like 16"+. i thought detector must be crazy cuz i kept diggin & diggin and still couldnt find anything. that is why i was trying to date the porcelain caster. it is made of very heavy iron and i was trying to figure out how the heck it got so far down and in my front yard nonetheless.

what mode do you think i should be hunting in for best results? i am gonna find the older stuff as i know it has to be here as there is just too much history here for them not to be. also do you know bullets? are those modern or old? they have rifling on them which i would assume means they have been fired but they obviously havent impacted anything as they are still perfect but idk really.

thanks for your quality advice!
mike

chipmaker you're doing exaclty the right thing. Dig it all and you'll learn it without anyone's help. Trust me. Nice finds!

RISSA said:
There's no other web site this large.

soooooooo incorrect, but stating the "other" big website on this forum will get my post deleted. :)

Shambler,

Thanks! alot of work for those finds but sure was fun...lol i wasnt trying to say this site isnt informative cuz it def is. i just love to have all resources that i can pull from. that is how i have learned many things. i appreciate comment & just for "FYI"...my email is same name as here @ yahoo

mike