Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i: Menu > Sensitivity Setting > "Discrimination" and "All Metal"

aindejeje

Hi All,
From Menu>Sensitivity Setting
May I know what is meant by "Discrimination" (from 0-100)
Is it mean that for "0" it will not discriminate metal at all, then "100" it will be very choosy (silver and gold only)
So how about "All Metal" (from 0-100)? and "bottle cap reject" (from 0-20)

You can use analogy from simple detector which have sensitivity and discrimination knobs only.
Thank you.

These are sensitivity settings, not what will be discriminated (accepted/rejected). There's a signal that goes into the detector. When you are in discriminate audio mode, your disc sens will be the level at which the detector will start accepting the signal to be a target - so a setting of 0, you would need a very large signal to trigger the discrimination system, 100 means the slightest little bump in the signal will trigger the discrimination system. Disc sens will only affect the discrimination system. (You can set what targets to accept/reject in the discrimination menu).

All metal sens is only for the all metal system (pinpoint is an all metal mode, but all metal is not necessarily a pinpoint mode - all metal search is not the same as pinpoint). This setting is how sensitive to have the audio sound when going over a target. An all metal sens of 0 will only change the audio a little bit for a signal compared to an all metal sens setting of 100 which will adjust the audio much more for the same size of signal.

I have been using my V3I for close to 2 years now and go out almost every weekend hunting in parks. I have found that the sizing and polar plot displays give me false info on a regular
basis. For example: if I get a VDI of 83 and the strongest reading on the spectragraph is the "green bar" 2.5 kHz. Then that is a quarter every time. Even if the polar plot and sizing display
tells me it is junk. So from my experience the sizing and the polar plot displays are not reliable. I was unable to get any depth out of machine untill I tried the "salt beach" program. Now
I am finding targets at 8 to 9 inches all the time.

Is my coil bad? Many sites on the web really run down the Stock coil for the V3i. I am still not sure how to properly test the coil and would like to try some other coils that match up
with the V3i. Could someone please give me info on prehaps a better coil?

The D2 is the best coil for the V in my opinion. I'm sure after 2 years you know how to test your coil. Hold the coil waist high and set the RX to 15 if it doesn't overload it is good. This is with TX boost off.

Welcome back to the forum.

Sizing and polar plot and some of the other features are just tools to HELP you deside to dig or not. The best and only discriminator to use with ANY detector is between your ears. If you are relying on target ID aids, you are missing some very nice targets.

V3i is my first detector. I am not clueless to dig a target or not. I rely so much on the polar plot.
Can someone share their experience finding valuables with curly polar graph?

I have had my V3i for a couple years now and have been messing around with it.
This by far was the most help and works the best. I have bought manuals with settings for each search and was amazed at how easy and simple this was...but the best part was it works like a charm...The only issue I had with it was....I have hundreds of bottle caps and corona and sam adams are the two that give me a signal that I always dig. How can I weed that signal out?

Is'nt there a mode where you can manually reject that exact target? Without wiping out the silver?

Thanks , I realize this post is old but maybe Ill get a response.

joe

NorCalJoe59 said:
I have had my V3i for a couple years now and have been messing around with it.
This by far was the most help and works the best. I have bought manuals with settings for each search and was amazed at how easy and simple this was...but the best part was it works like a charm...The only issue I had with it was....I have hundreds of bottle caps and corona and sam adams are the two that give me a signal that I always dig. How can I weed that signal out? What signal do you get, you didn't say? You just discriminate the VDI that the cap gives.

Is'nt there a mode where you can manually reject that exact target? Without wiping out the silver? If the VDI is a VDI that silver gives the same VDI for and you discriminate it you will also lose the silver with that VDI. I might have more to say once you tell me what VDI is for the Corona caps.

Thanks , I realize this post is old but maybe Ill get a response.

joe

Rob (IL) said:
The D2 is the best coil for the V in my opinion. I'm sure after 2 years you know how to test your coil. Hold the coil waist high and set the RX to 15 if it doesn't overload it is good. This is with TX boost off.
Welcome back to the forum.

Don't want to side line this thread but doesn't this work for any coil (4x6, 5.3, etc.)??

Yes this works for all coils tested.
Also I was wondering.............
When testing a coil I was wondering what the sensitivity setting need to be in the AM and DS ... it seems if they were at 0 , RX 15 wouldn't do anything.

johnedoe said:
Yes this works for all coils tested.
Also I was wondering.............
When testing a coil I was wondering what the sensitivity setting need to be in the AM and DS ... it seems if they were at 0 , RX 15 wouldn't do anything.

That's why it is good to understand what the 3 gains do. For the test it doesn't matter where all metal and disc sensetivity are set. All you need to do is have RX 15 and coil waist high with TX boost off.

Try it yourself. The all metal channel is not being used and motion is not involved. Rx Gain (sometimes called preamp gain) sets the gain of the receiver

Thank's Rob. :thumbup:.. As always your answers are clear and concise.