Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

v3i frustrated

hello everyone.. had the v3i for a month now ..i have read alot of info like 10 times and tried all konds of settings and programs and test...i still dont know what program is the best for me..any suggestions..i know its probally a stupid question.....i have becpme even a little more confused because after readong posts in here they kinda give differant answers compared to the whites forum...is there any good programs in this foum...or anyone willing to help out with my confusion.....im in new jersey

It would be hard to answer because you haven't stated your problem. You also didn't state the answers that are kind of different.

I like the coin and jewl program and the deep silver. But I dont know what you hunt. If you just turn on and go with it in one of these programs it is good as well. Go slow and a steady beep and line is usualy a good target . They are kinda diffrent to figure out but if I can do it you can ,I gotta be dumber than half on here and i have had nine for just about Six months and just know starting to get it. Good luck.

Custom programs should be the furthest thing from your mind at first. Pick a factory program like the Coin and Jewelry or Hi Pro, adjust the RX Gain and Discrimination Sensitivity for stability and go out and have fun finding things at first. If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong. Learn just a few things at a time. If you choose the Coin and Jewelry, I might suggest turning on the VCO to help you pinpoint better, the Hi Pro has that already on and is one good program, even if you never tweak it.

thanks..what makes the hi pro a good program campared to thers and whats up with stereo mixed mode...does it really hunt deeper...i was using a program. that someone gave me in hi pro but didnt know if i liked it...one more thing...how do i know if i have a good ground balance...are the tracking lines sussposed to move back and forth while im searching or should they disappear....

First thing is to plant a test garden with alternating depth and on edge coins. Then keep a notebook on what the signals look like graphed and sound like with different sweep speeds with different angles to the on edge coins. Then try again during spring deep ground moisture compared to dry summer. In other words, conditions change and you might need to change settings or coils only when needed. If you travel your best settings in your area could be the worse in your new location. Having a record to go back on will help you to adjust to new conditions. Enjoy your testing, rewards will come.

I recommend sticking with the factory settings. You may need to use the restore to return to factory settings. Work with those and chose the one appropriate for what you are detecting. I know what you're going thru, it is going to take more than a month to fully understand your V3. Experience is the best teacher and use those factory settings for a good while.

I don't understand what you are comparing the Hi Pro too???? Mixed Mode is an advance program using the Discrimination channel and All Metal mode at the same time, like running two detectors at the same time. I suggest waiting on that program until you learn the basics. The arrows in tracking is showing you that it is making minor adjustments tracking the ground, maintaining a good ground balance.

if i use the factory settings i know there are some things i can tweak...not sure wether to use best data or coralate and if i should use auto or track lock..what things should i be conserned with to tweek the factory programs....

so hi pro just uses the mixed mode for audio ...i was using hi pro with stereo mixed mode for a while but could nver decide wether to use best data or corralte and intensity and consistancy..i kinda understand the mixed mode and just sometimes felt i wasnt gettong the depth...is mixed mode good for a trashy area..it seems a bit noisey...

Do what you want, you asked for advise and several told to you to use a factory program and don't worry about tweaking right now. You need to learn to walk before you can run.

I always compared metal detecting to playing guitar, you can't play the difficult songs until you learn the chords.
You will get there, just go slow. Use a stock program and just work on getting the right filter first. Then you can move on to adjusting other things but only after you understand completely what they do.

Read the forum as much as you can and make a test garden and practice in it. Sometimes i go back 10 or 15 pages in the forum and read it up to the current page. You can learn just about anything you want to know researching this way. I did. :thumbup:
Good Luck !!!

i have been using the factory programs and they are alot less stressfull..not frustrated with tryin to tweek everything....i have mostly been usin the c&j program...the only things i changed was turning on the vco and turnin off modulation...i think these are some simple changes for what i like to hear....baby steps....lol...

The Factory Programs are good programs, I can hit an 8" quarter with the factory C&J where i live and the factory HiPro will go deeper !!!

what i heard..but i tried and my c&j reads deeper..i guess it might be the soil... -91 at 0.3% average...any thoughts....both at factory settings

You will have tons of fun just using the factory programs and the tweaks and adjustments will come to you on an as needed basis. :thumbup:

Good advice so far. I really think you will benefit from a test garden. Stay in coin and jewelry for a while. Might I also suggest in your downtime to find the quick reference option in your machine(turn on, pull trigger, press menu/tab 2 times. Should be next to owner registry) that is a nice place to start learning the vocabulary of your machine and what all the little tweaks will do.

Don't be afraid to play around with it, you can always reset the programs to factory default. Look into the copy program feature as well. You can take a stock program, copy it to a name of your choosing, and tweak to your hearts content. (See below for procedure).

There are a select few "Gurus" on various forums that have almost unlimited knowledge of this machine. It's ok to be frustrated, it is almost an inescapable side effect from purchasing the v3i. Check into the whites electronics forum, specifically deoslyfox. He's got some really good intel, and there is an advanced user guide available for download if you do a search for it. Also, try a google search for "metal detecting book of jack". Apparently this is a must have compilation of very useful info on the v3/v3i machine. I don't know the protocol for advertising other forum websites, so I won't specify any more.

Don't give up on it. It certainly took a couple seasons for things to start clicking for me. Enjoy the factory settings for now, and spend the off-season reading/learning the machine. Keep it with you at the computer and fiddle around. re-read the quick reference guide a few times. And don't forget to research the history of your area as well. Winter is a good time to map out the places you are going to hunt when that damn snow melts off.
Have fun!!

COPYING PROGRAMS

TURN ON MACHINE---
PULL TRIGGER---
CLICK MENU/TAB 2 TIMES
SELECT EXPERT MENU
SELECT PROGRAM
SELECT NEW/COPY
CHECK BOX LIBRARY PROGRAM
ARROW DOWN AND SELECT FACTORY PROGRAM TO COPY(coin/jewelry)
CLICK MENU/TAB
NAME YOUR COPIED PROGRAM USING ARROWS
CLICK MENU/TAB
CLICK ENTER TO CREATE

Hopefully, you now have a copied version of the coin and jewelry program to play with.

I will say it again. Don't make changes until you know why. You can't hurt the V3i but you can end up not even finding shallow targets. Yes you can reset them.

The advanced user guide and "metal detecting book of Jack" are compilations of posts from the forums. Many I made myself. Some don't apply to the V3i, some conflict with each other, and they can really confuse a new owner. They are OK for people who know enough and are able to sift out the good information. Also some of the posts where made before we knew better. Some are really old, back from before there was even a printed manual and we were doing a lot of guessing.