Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V-3 depth question

Yellow Beard

Hey all,

I'm new to site and detecting. I got the V3 and took it out a couple time in the back yard. While I am finding things (clad), the v3 is telling me 8" and I am finding that if I dig that far down there is nothing there. I then look in the 4-5" range and there is the stuff. I am keeping the coil as low as I can, and I am checking the hole for extras. How accurate are the depth readings? Does the depth reading depend on ground composition?

You didn't say what depth reading. The depth on the fly reading is not as accurate as the pinpoint depth. The pinpoint depth is accurate and the one you should be using. If you are new to detecting you should start reading all the posts on the site, read the manual, and use the search feature on this forum. Also the depth is calibrated to coin size targets. Smaller targets will read deeper and bigger targets will read more shallow. Smaller coils will read deeper than the stock coil. Rob

When I do the pinpointing I push the coil down into the grass to get to the ground and I find it will usually be pretty close or accurate. Also different coils will show different depths, V3 is tuned to the 10 DD. Don

I agree with rcasio44, the "on the fly" depth reading is almost always off. The pin point mode is what you need to go by. I have found the analyze mode to be pretty accurate too. Also some foil will read 5"
even when right on the surface. And if it reads a quarter @ 0" and you dig down an inch or two and find nothing it's an alum. can or sprinkler head usually. good luck.

Steve

I've recently purchased and been using the V3 myself, and I've found that for me the pinpoint depth reading is very accurate. That said when you're digging a target you're generally not using a calibrated ruler to measure the target. The additional use of a pinpoint probe is also very valuable with this machine as the targets are sometimes at the side of the hole we dig, or while you're digging they can be moved by the digging tool. Or you can get a coin spill with multiple targets and that can also affect the depth reading if they're very close together but distributed at different depths, again this is where a pinpoint probe is helpful. My rule of thumb that I'm quickly coming to on this machine is find it, analyze it, then pinpoint. (analyze = use the signagraph, I like this feature a LOT) In fact today I was out for about an hour and found a nice coin spill that was driving me crazy because every angle I scanned the target at gave me a different reading. So you'll also find that in learning the machine, you have to dig a few unknowns, and you'll get a better feel for what you're indications are for different types of targets. Overall be patient, read the manual, spend some learning time with it, and have fun.

You should also consider a couple of other factors that affect depth reading and pinpointing. An important one is that the D2 coil is a DD and therefore, produces a long narrow field as opposed to the circular, cone-shaped field of the more common concentric coil. Therefore, if your coil is tilted on any axis, the depth and the pinpoint spot will vary considerably on a DD coil but is barely noticeable on it's concentric counter part. Another consideration is the possiblity of a warped D2 or one that is not nulled properly. This will have the same effect.

rcasio44 said:
The depth on the fly reading is not as accurate as the pinpoint depth. The pinpoint depth is accurate and the one you should be using.

I think that depends on the soil you're in. For ME (and my buddy with his V3) the "on the fly" depth is by far more accurate. In pinpoint we usually add 2" to the indication.

With both machines having the same result, I have to assume it's our soil.

RacerX said:
rcasio44 said:
The depth on the fly reading is not as accurate as the pinpoint depth. The pinpoint depth is accurate and the one you should be using.

I think that depends on the soil you're in. For ME (and my buddy with his V3) the "on the fly" depth is by far more accurate. In pinpoint we usually add 2" to the indication.

With both machines having the same result, I have to assume it's our soil.

Out of curiosity is that with the stock 10 DD coil? That

CVS you got it. Our detectors are calibrated to one coil and coin sized targets. My guess the V was calibrated to the D2. In general smaller coils give you deeper readings and so do smaller targets. Unless the V is different, depth meter readings are just signal strength readings. I can tell if I have a shallow, medium, or deep target. I don't bother past that. I doesn't take long to tell shallow foil from a deep can. Rob

There is no substitute for experience..........:thumbup: