Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

US serviceman dog tag

Hi, I am Linda, Stephen Petruno's daughter. My cousin Pat has been keeping me up to date on this fantastic find of my dad's dog tag. I am so excited just being able to talk with someone who has an article of my dad's from World War II. Many thanks to you, Mike, and your buddy, Nigel, and all of the other "South West Searchers". From a hobby, these little parts of history can lead to locating family members who share in the joy of the treasure hunt. Thank you from our entire family - my older brother, David; my younger brother, Ronald, and myself. My parents, Stephen and Margaret, are no longer living, my mother passed away in 1974 and my dad passed in 1980. I know he was very proud to serve in the U.S. Army, along with his two brothers, Michael and John. Again, many thanks to you and Nigel for the extra effort you made to solve this "mystery". Well Done! Linda

hi linda,
it was nigel`s pleasure to find the dog tag and mine to locate you and your family
i have today posted the dog tag to pat petruno who will be passing it onto yourself soon

here is a picture of the finder nigel (right) and myself myself mike (left) and just some of our club "South West Searchers" members on a club hunt yesterday
our website is www.southwestsearchers.com if you want to have a look at our other pictures and finds we have made all over the UK

kindest regards to you and your family

mike

hello my name is Nigel Holt

i am the finder of this dog tag and like mike i am delighted with the out come of this find being ex British forces myself (army 70s vet ) i also was stationed in Germany during my 6yrs. so as soon as i unearthed this i recognised it for what it was and belonged to a fellow vet from across the pond regards to your family nige x

My cousin Linda asked if I would post a picture of her dad, Stephen J Petruno, on her behalf. As Mike pointed out, the service number fragment confirms this is Linda's Dad, not my Uncle John as I had originally thought. Steve enlisted in 1942. He was married in Jan of 1944 in PA, and soon afterwards shipped out overseas. In Mar of 1944, Steve's new bride received a letter from a family in Bridgewater, Somerset, England, saying John billeted with them in preparation for the "Big Push". Now, because of Nigel's find, we know that Steve was moved into the Slapton area, likely in support of the Slapton Sands D-Day dry runs followed by the invasion of Utah Beach in June. Linda wanted me to convey her gratitude to Nigel, for the find, Mike for his quest to identify and find the owner, and Greg for his Ancestry search which located me. I have received the dog tag from Mike. I will be taking a few pics and then will forward to Linda. After this long jouney, Linda will have her dad's dog tag back next week.
Here is a picture of Steve. In addtition Linda provided a picture of herself, her brother Ron (seated), and her brother David (standing).
Thanks to all for your wonderful hobby and your perserverance to complete this return.
Pat

myself and nigel are over the moon that stephen`s dogtag is now safely back with his family in america

it is not always about finding gold or silver in this hobby and this story proves that

i feel honoured to have played a part in reuniting the dogtag with stephens daughter linda after all these years

Hi Pat thanks for the pictures of stephen and his family as mike has stated this has really given us a big buzz and being a vet myself and it being rememberance sunday tomorrow makes this story all the more special. if and when we ever return to the location of the find i will be sure to have another scan of the area on the off chances of finding any other goodies that i might be able to forward on to your family best wishes from your new friends from across the pond

What a great story with a super positive outcome!

I hope this thread can be posted in some other location too....we need a "Best of" forum where these very interesting stories could reside and have greater exposure.

Thanks so much, Pat, for putting up your families photos too.

Best Regards, Joe (California)

hi joe
just for info this story is also being published in your treasure hunting mag over there so mike told me once he had traced everyone involved and ive submitted a short story to go with the pics we enclosed looking forwards to reading it as well i believe two copys are comeing our way from the editor best wishes nige the finder

Nice read. That is ausome.

Nigel and Mike

Thanks for all the work you did on this from the initial recovery to locating the family anf inally returning it to the daughter of the soldier that lost it.

I've drafted the story for Lost Treasure Magazine which inlcudes additonal input from the Petruno family and hopefully the perspective from which the piece was written will be both an interesting read as well as showing a positive side of the hobby.

There will also be an abbreviated version posted on the XP website once the story I gave them is reviewed and made avaialble.

If the copy of the letter that the soldier's wife received in 1944 from a family in the area where the dog tag was lost can be returned as well, it woudl make a great ending to a fantastic story . . . . . hope the South West Searchers club can complete the circle which includes the dog tag and the 68 year old letter.

Andy Sabisch

hi andy,
i think nigel has taken on the task with regards to the letter from england ?

if not i will try to locate the family in bridgewater,somerset to complete the story

thanks for your interest in this find and the pending lost treasures story

mike

My cousin Linda provided a picture of herself holding her father's WWII dog tag. She asked if I could post this for her and wanted to thank Nigel and Mike for finding and bringing her father's dog tag home.

Pat

it was a pleasure to be able to return the dog tag to linda after all these years

it will be one of the most pleasurable things this hobby has given me over the years

happy new year to you and your family

mike