Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Understanding Some of the Magic of the V3's Analysis Screen

Jeff Foster

The V3's Analysis Screen is a great feature of the V3. It allows the user to see more of the details of what the detector's computer sees. Because of this, the user can better understand the target being detected, before it is dug, and the user can see firsthand situations where the single frequency modes may be best for certain types of targets. However, some basics of detector operation need to be reviewed to better understand how these Analysis Screens should be interpreted.

Fundamental to the V3 (and DFX, MXT, etc.) operation is the VDI scale. While this is sometimes shown as a straight line, with -95 at one end and +95 at the other, it is really a wheel, or circle, with -95 and +95 back-to-back, like so:
vdiwheel.jpg

Because the VDI scale is like a wheel, certain effects that occur near the -95/+95 boundary tend to spill across the boundary. Of huge importance to V3 users (and DFX users for that matter) is the influence of the ground-balance, which has effects that wrap across the -95/+95 portion of the wheel.

This notion, that effects of the ground-balance may spill across the part of the VDI wheel, where -95 and +95 are back-to-back, may sound a little scary to understand, but it's not really. And the effects can be clearly seen on the V3's Analysis Screen and in day to day V3 operation.

First, let me provide a little foreshadowing of what I'll explain. One thing that you'll see is why it is often said that 2.5kHz is best for "silver" (that is to say U.S. style silver coins with high-VDI numbers, not antiquated "hammered" silver coins found in Europe with much lower VDI numbers). The fact is that 22.5kHz and 2.5kHz have roughly the same sensitivity for silver (i.e. high-VDI targets)

It WAS said you DO come around these parts and we do appreciate it!This is great info on the Analyze Screen. (Learning follows reasoning) and no one does it, in print, like you do and thanks! Good luck on the new project and looking forward to it's release.

This is starting to sound like TDI discussion...where you "alter" the GB to increase sensitivity to certain target types because the machine loses sensitivity right around the GB point. That would be awesome for the V3.

Taterhead

Thanks for joining us Jeff, your contributions are always appreciated.........:thumbup:

As stated else where, WOW !!!! Hurry up with the book lol.....

Dave U.K.

A big round of thanks to you Mr. Foster great info and something that I have been noticing while playing this winter. What type of effects if any will this have if accepting all VDI #'s ?
Yazoo

Thanks Much Jeff!!! I'm looking forward to the book and waiting patiently but in the meantime little tidbits like this are very helpful. :)

If you have time to respond I have a question.......

In my test bed I have a silver dime buried in the 8" range. I played with different frequencies and I can hear it in all frequencies but I hear it best (by far) in 22.5. I live in CA bay area so my soil if pretty mineralized.
I've heard "rumor" that Jimmy Sierra reports the same result.

So I guess the question would be, under what conditions would 22.5 let us hear deep silver better?

Larry, can we make this thread a sticky? :clapping:

Let's wait until Jeff finishes the post and we will see about a sticky.

Jeff, I found all of that very interesting. But it makes me more appreciative of a good old-fashion machine with good iron discrimination and feathered tones that indicate depth and material type. (to some degree).

All in all, I've never trusted a VDI number or any kind of 3D screen. Can't help but feel the makers are targeting a generation of video game kids who expect all this high-tech window dressing. No slight against White's. I own them and like them. Just don't dig on the modern stuff all that much. Don't get me started on the money they want for it too.

Yeah, thats nice. Seems like your on the wrong forum there bud...all of us over here love our "V's", and have alot of success with them. Your probably still using a rotary phone too, huh? :thumbdown:

Thanks alot for the excellent post Jeff, dont be such a stranger, we need and appreciate the help!
Cant wait for the book!
Aaron

Actually, Aaron, I'm a licensed pilot, have enjoyed the internet since its inception, have just about every electronic gadget in my house that's been invented in the last 50 years. I dig on modern stuff that delivers. But I happen to think the leading-edge metal detector options are largely useless. If you like them, good for you. Don't feel bad for having been sucked in. I get taken all the time by every GPS aviation development too. We all have our weaknesses. But when one of the older men I fly with reminds me of what can be done with a cool head and a mere compass, I come back to earth a bit. Maybe you should too.

John, I think you are missing the point of this forum , which is to help us learn about our detectors. It is not for bashing or fighting. You should take your attitude to the general forum where it might be appreciated. We play nice here. Think about it any normal person would see you would get negative responses to your post. Use some common sense. Rob

How do you see what the ground balance is set to with the V3 is that somewhere in the ground probe window?

I'm not Jeff, but target conductivity is only one consideration when determining "the best" coil frequency. For example, a dime at 8 inches is a pretty small target. As such, it may respond better to the higher frequency than the lower frequency due to target size, not conductive properties. A silver half at the same 8 inches is still silver. But could respond better to the lower frequency because of it's larger surface area. If you would, bury a silver half about 8 inches deep in that coin garden and let us know if you still hear that high freq the best. HH Randy

Thanks.

Yazoo said:
What type of effects if any will this have if accepting all VDI #'s ?
None. The effects I describe above happen at the Non-Motion (All-Metal) level. The Ground-Filtering system creates the VDI numbers by using the Non-Motion stuff as a basis.

RacerX said:
If you have time to respond I have a question.......In my test bed I have a silver dime buried in the 8" range. I played with different frequencies and I can hear it in all frequencies but I hear it best (by far) in 22.5. I live in CA bay area so my soil if pretty mineralized...So I guess the question would be, under what conditions would 22.5 let us hear deep silver better?
The higher the target's VDI number, and the closer the ground's VDI is to -95, the more the factors that I describe above occur (about the ground-balance effects wrapping around the -95/+95 boundary). So in order of decreasing benefit of 2.5kHz, would be: Silver Dollar, Half, Quarter, and Dime. The dime has a VDI number that is right on the boundary, and that's why I suspect you are the observing the results that you are. Try the test with a quarter, and you'll probably see 2.5kHz be the deepest. The determining factor is how far away the target's raw VDI number is from the ground-balance point on the VDI wheel.

Aurium said:
How do you see what the ground balance is set to with the V3 is that somewhere in the ground probe window?
Not directly. However, when you have a good ground-balance, it will match the ground-VDI in the Ground-Probe screen.

Jeff

Those were great questions.
Thanks again for the help Jeff.
Aaron

Hi there folks! This is my first post, and as you can see I haven't been a member for very long on this massage board. I have been out of the metal detecting "loop" for a while, pun intended. I decided to get beck into it and bought myself a V[sup]3[/sup]. I am a reliability engineer by trade and I find all of this material around the Spectra interesting, very. Needless to say I do more lurking than posting, I am here on an almost daily basis, reading and absorbing. The hobby has come a l-o-n-g way since I was last involved. I am absolutely amazed how far it has come and the Spectra is in reality nothing short of little modern marvel, to make a reference to The History Channel.

In short, the reason for my post is to thank ALL of you for being a resource when it comes to all things related to V[sup]3[/sup]. I find it in its entirety, invaluable. So, Thanks to you all.

I wrote Jeff an email a few weeks back and it took him a while to respond, but he did. I am aware he is a very busy chap and probably doesn

Welcome to the Forum Robby. I'm envious of your locality, rich in history and you should do well with your new "toy".