Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

treasure tale.....part one and part 2

Micheal_R

Staff member
In 1992, I was very heavily into metal detecting... not that I have dropped detecting now; it is just that back then, every spare minute was spent either diving or detecting. And in Victoria, a newly discovered [by me] virgin area was the Gorge. This was THE swimming area back in the late 19th and early 20th century. On certain weekends, like May Day for instance, there would be upwards of 10,000 people boating, swimming and picnicking. There were Japanese gardens, floating tea houses, slides, chute the chute... Anything and everything.

I had been going to one of the seven really popular swimming beaches for several weeks and had pulled out an amazing selection of rings, old coins, watches,etc. On this particular day, Alice decided to come along and get away from the farm. So I suited up, got my scoop and excaliber, and headed for the water.

Now, in 1992, the Gorge had been a popular swimming area, but it also had not been used as a swimming area for a few years. It had turned into a dirty, digusting area. people had been throwing garbage, old tires.... the whole gamut of unpleasant 'things' that you might imagine. But it was partly because of this refuse, that no one else had even thought of detecting there.

Now many might scoff at this but, Alice has proved to me over these many years that she is a bit of a psychic [I said psychic.....not psychotic]. She has told me to go to certain areas since she 'feels' that something might be there. And more times than not, she has proven to be correct.As an example, I was out with a buddy of mine who tended to regard her ability with a certain amount of scepticism. She mentioned to him, that if he were to go out into the lake, about 150 or so feet, in this particular area, he would find an old tire rim. 10 feet away from that rim, in such and such direction, he would find something good. So to disprove her, he took up the challange; out he went to where Alice specified, found the old rim. 10 feet away from that rim, he found a gold ring!!!!

So, on this day in 1994, With Alice 'guiding' me, I set out. She told me that there was something 'really good' down the waterway a bit. I slogged my way down the waterway, while she walked along the shore. When she felt it was right, she told me to go out a bit. I proceeded to do so. The problem was that the water was getting deeper.... up to my chest, then my shoulders, neck.... Anyone who has water detected while wading can appreciate my problem. The deeper that you go, the more buoyant you become. I was having a heck of a time just trying to stay put, fighting the current as I was. I certainly could not even try to dig. But this was not quite good enough for Alice. She told me to go out another few feet. In for a penny....in for a pound. I went out and when the water was just below my nose, I felt something at my feet....

It's a GREAT story, Wayne. The pics are awsome!

I am looking forward to the next part, want to know what you touched with your feet. How about giving us a hint?

Those are some great pictures...lots of folks concentrated in one small area. What is in the background of the first photo? I appears to be a sea wall or some type of dam?

Mike, thanks for posting the first part of this story...it is going to be a good one! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Yer gettin' outa hand. :poke:

I passed my detector over it and got a signal.... but it was a large signal. There was no way that my scoop would handle this.... even if I could have dug it up since I was too deep to get any leverage. I stuck out my foot and felt something 'squooshy', not a good sign!!! Uncertain as to what to so, I wiggled my foot around until something caught on my toes. Then, I had to bounce backwards, on one foot, to a shallower depth, until I could reach down and retrieve this 'item'. It turned out to be just a garbage bag. However, it was a HEAVY garbage bag so rather that just letting it go, I picked it up in my hands. There was something in there. When I got it up, the item inside was a rectangular shape. I was shallow enough now that I could pass the bag to Alice.

She carried it over to the car and waited for me to get back from my wade. Upon arriving back at the car, we both started to unwrap this item. The rectangular shape turned out to be a briefcase, held together by a belt, since it appeared as though the lock was broken. We undid that belt and opened the case. We found an amazing array of items. There was a fair amount of coinage, mostly silver, several sets of ID [including credit cards, birth certificates, drivers licence] and, oh yes, over $8000.00 in bills.!!!! Wet, soggy bills to be sure... But still, bills.

What to do., what to do?? The first idea was to get in the car and leave! Well, we figured that this was the takings from a robbery or some such so we did the honest thing; we phoned the cops. Now this was my first direct dealings with the police, and I can guarantee you, it will be my last. We waited for them to show up and 20 minutes later, they did, By the time I had finished with them , they made me feel like a criminal. I am certain that not all of the police forces are like this, but this day, well, lets just say it was a low point." Who are you? Why were you in there? What is your birthday?" .... and the list of questions went on, and on, and on!!!

We were told that if the money was not claimed in 90 days, we would get to keep it. So, we made a point of calling every couple of weeks or so to find out the disposition of the case. Each time, either Alice or I were told that no one had claimed it and they could not find the person. Well, things were starting to look pretty good at about the 80 day mark. After that, for some reason, when we called , the officer 'was not in', 'would get back to us', 'was on a few days off'. You get the picture!!! We persisted for a few more months, but the hassles were starting to out weigh the benefits we might have realized. So we walked away from it, a bit poorer perhaps, certainly disappointed [both in the lack of money and the performance of the police force] , but certainly a lot wiser.

We still feel, that we did the morally right thing. But I tell you, it soured me for quite some time.

Sunny skies, calm seas, fair winds

M

A lot of people would have taken the money and ran,(like the cops probably did), so I have to hand it to you. You did the right thing, but it would have been nice to know the real story behind it. Good story Mike.

LilBrother:)

sometimes when you do the right thing it appears that you get the short end of the stick. However, you can have piece of mind and will be able to sleep at night knowing that you did the right thing.

Does Alice have ESP or something? I wonder how she can sense where some treasue is located? I would sorta like to borrow Alice and take her to a few places where rumor has it that some treasure is buried. :lol:

What do you think finally happened to the briefcase and loot? Thanks for posting such an exciting story, I enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

At least I can look at myself in the mirror. :) I am not certain if it is ESP, or what, but she can 'sense' things at times. And when she is on, she is really on!!

Take care

Calm seas, sunny skies

M

I have found the old teachers school bell, a very large badge that the lifeguard/beach attendant/special police wore. A buddy pulled out a loaded .38 pistol. There is still a great deal there too.

I kinda suspect that this briefcase was a robbery item. The IDs were in different names but the pictures on them were of the same person.

fair winds

M

"legal" criminals are all too common :cry: such an interesting story! Have you ever been back with dive gear?
Wayne

But nothing ever like this again.. However, the teachers bell, swim tokens.... all came from this area, with dive gear.

Hopefully, one day, I will get there again

Sunny skies

M

trying to do the "right" thing will make you a bit more unconfident of mankind! You know where that money went, and surely was not to you and Alice OR the rightful owner. That's a pity too! I don't know if I could have been as honest as the two of you were, ........... the old "finder's keeper's" policy if it is from an unknown! :)

Keep writing stories, Mikie! The sometimes lighten a heavy load that we carry around with us. At least here, you KNOW you have true blue friends to the end! :)