Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To live again...

Dan-MO

A few years ago I was searching for new detecting ground deep in the woods where I remembered seeing daffodils in bloom one spring while turkey hunting,{Usually a good way to find old homesteads} I found the spot and detected a little while without finding much,when I came across the old family cemetery - long neglected and forgotten.I found a total of 5 graves-4 marked with only crumbling stones with no lettering remaining-and one crude granite stone with crude chiseled writing on it.This was the grave of the husband and wife who had died within a year of each other in the mid 1800s.

As I moved some fallen tree limbs,kicked away some leaves and other debris,I could finally read the markings.I believe I was the first person to read them in many many years.I cleaned it up as best I could and came back later with some help and cleaned it better-and transplanted some of the daffodils to each grave site.Along with the names and dates of birth and deaths was a small inscription that had literally sunk into the ground where I had to remove some dirt to even read it...."They lived to live again"

A two track trail up a mountain
Not used in many years
Led to a place that once was home
To Ozark pioneers

The house had long since vanished
The fields returned to trees
And lonely graves are all that

on some faces in heaven tonight, but writing such a wonderful moving tribute to someone you never met. I so enjoy poetry, and you sure are a talented writer. I wish you had taken a photo of the stones. They lived to live again. What wonderful words, and an even more beautiful poem. :)

Funny thing with me and my detecting lately..........I love the finds, of that there's no question but I've come to enjoy the tranquility of such a place as you described here with it's history just as much, if not more. I love being in those places where most others wouldn't bother looking.......places that don't turn up enough "rewards" for the average hunter. Got a couple of spots like this one described in your poem.......old, forgotten grave markers unknown to most. Just something about being in these places that touch the soul.......much like your poem just did ! Beautiful piece Dan ! :thumbup:

and take care of them just because!!!!! That's what makes people so special sometimes,............they care just because! :)

When I would have been very disappointed to come home from a detecting trip without a couple of old coins.I still like em.....don't get me wrong but these days I get almost as much satisfaction from the hunt as from the finds.Give me a clear crisp day deep off the beaten path of modern life and I will glady dig trash all day.....as long as it is OLD trash.The occasional old coin or other keeper is just iceing on the cake.Thank you for your kind words

n/t

n/t

Funny how it goes. I have sort of taken it upon myself to keep a little graveyard at Needles tidy. There are some old stones and placards there and the site is beautiful, with the view over that lake. However, it was getting rather tatty looking so I thought that a cleanup and tidying would be nice.

The stories that those people could have told......

Fair winds

Mikie

Being a history buff and a detectorist, your story really strikes a chord with me--perhaps a minor chord.

Their lives; all summed up on that grave marker. "They lived to live again." What a legacy. What a legacy!!! I only hope that someone would say that of me someday!

You know they had their share of tired backs and sorrow and strife and poverty, to a degree. But I see that they had no spiritual poverty. The saddest people I know are those who think there is nothing after death...that they think of themselvs as nothing more than cattle; just existing for the here and now.

Regardless of our beliefs, we all will have to answer the question (at least TWICE), found in Matthew 27:22.
Here in the present tense and once in the past tense at the judgment.

Thank you so much for such a beautiful poem and your continued contributions. I believe it is the most beautiful one you have ever written. You might have to take me there sometime. <><

aj

at the site of the Ghost Town of Pere Cheney a few miles from my home in Roscommon.

I wander through it and see there are very few headstones left. All from the turn of the last century. I also can not help but notice that the grass is still being mowed and some of the few graves have people that care. I wonder about what they could tell. Here are a few of them. There are few left

[attachment 79577 grave-1.jpg]

[attachment 79578 grave-2.jpg]

[attachment 79579 grave-3.jpg]

[attachment 79580 grave-4.jpg]

[attachment 79581 grave-5.jpg]

[attachment 79582 grave-6.jpg]

I've come across them from time to time out in the woods, and also wondered about who they were and what their life was like back then. Tnx for post.

Geo-CT