Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THOUGHTS ON DETECTING OLD CEMETERIES

No! You asked for forum members to give you their opinion about a sensitive and beaten to death topic. When these forum members stated their answers to your question you responded with an argumentative statement. And your age or detecting years is irrelevant. In my opinion you were the rude one.

goodmore said:
No! You asked for forum members to give you their opinion about a sensitive and beaten to death topic. When these forum members stated their answers to your question you responded with an argumentative statement. And your age or detecting years is irrelevant. In my opinion you were the rude one.

Hey, it didn't sound like they were giving their opinions at all. They all attacked Andy. So the topic has been discussed before??? So what. I read all kinds of repeat topics. A little courtesy in your replies would be in order. How about using some of these to get your tone across;) Sometimes you can't tell the difference between:veryangry::starwars::punch: or :cheers::clapping::) I hardly ever post here because once someone starts to beat up on someone, the mob follows. No one had the sense to stick up for Andy and say "He never said he was going to detect it". What's a new person going to think if they post some question and they get bombarded with these kind of replies??? Sponsors should be aware, that it is not good business and not well spent advertising dollars to have forum member crucify others. If you have strong issues with someone. Say it nicely and then PM THEM!!! That's what it's for.

THANK YOU COINNUT !:clapping:,there is a few good guys out there and your one of them!:beers::thumbup:Thanks for standing up for me,that is very cool.At least you understand,the few stand alone in this forum,thank you ,:clap::clapping::thumbup::super:NH ANDY.

I figured my reply was as good as anyone elses, right guys? Or are some replies worth more?:rofl: Any time Andy! Sometimes people don't realise how cruel they can be. So I figured, since everyone is giving there opinions, I'd give mine! I just wish there were more replies in your defense. But, so be it.

This is a subjrect which has been raised several times in the past, and it is a subject which has prompted good and sensible comments and some emotional and heated comments. Such is the nature of the subject. Anyone who has family and friends laying in a cemetery (and that would include most people on Earth) has some kind of emotional response to a subject such as this...some can cooly and calmly talk about it and put forward a reasoned point of view, and some cannot, and I would be very reluctant to criticize someone who falls into either category, as a topic such as this is bound to open old wounds and remind some of us about things we would not have normally assoicated with detecting. As some contributors have stated, detecting in a cemetery has the potential to disturb and anger people who may still be grieving for loved ones recently passed away, and I would hate to think that I would be responsible, through the hobby which I love, to cause such distress to anyone. Personally, I think it's best not to detect in cemeteries. If someone thinks differently, then that is up to them. However, I would ask that person, before they go detecting round the graves of other peoples' loved ones, to stop and think for a moment how they would fell if they saw someone next to their brother's, son's, mother's grave, detecting and digging and seemingly showing no respect whatsoever. I would say to anyone who decides to go hunting in cemeteries, dont be surprised if you are attacked or assaulted by a grieving relative. Sapper.

SteveP,I know you Know our friend Streeter and He has a write up about the subject from 2002 on the Internet read it,it is very interesting.Steve I never said I went to a Cemetery ,I ask for a opinion,which is a question,Thanks NH ANDY,here is the link,www.streeter.org/community/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=423 -

Hey Andy,

I wasn't trying to diss you in anyway, only to point out that there is a law on the books in New Hampshire that could reasonably be interpreted to prosecute someone who is metal detecting in a graveyard. The law quoted above is a bit vague about what exactly it means to "disturb the contents of any tomb or grave in any cemetery or burial ground." However it seems reasonable to me that a police officer could view digging a hole, even a small one as knowingly disturbing the grave and so could arrest you. It would then be up to your attorney to prove that the law wasn't intended to prevent digging holes to recover objects near the surface.

However a class B felony means jail time and also the expense of a criminal trial is not something to be taken lightly so it seems like a risky business to me just from the legal perspective.

To answer your original question, for me, I would never dig inside the boundaries of a cemetery out of respect for the folks buried inside as well as their living relatives. I know if I saw some one digging a hole near the grave of one of my relatives I would be upset enough to try and beat the sh*t out of them if I could catch them. Plus there are so many other less controversial places to detect why take the risk, its just not worth while.

Thanks Steve I will take your advise and you opinion,sorry I caused a stir on this Forum,I guess I asked the wrong question,thank you ,NH ANDY.

NH ANDY-----I don't think anybody here is trying to hurt your feelings or argue with you.---It's just that you asked a loaded (almost explosive) question and wanted to know peoples opinion to that question (which you received).---Many here have strong opinions on this subject.---All that aside-the legality itself of this issue has to be considered & is ALL IMPORTANT.---Also a lot of where we detect or don't detect involves no more than useing a little "common sense" (I'm referring to myself AND anybody else that detects-ALL OF US).----One thing I CAN guarantee you-there's a LOT LESS places open to detect now than there was back in the mid 70's when I started.--I just think we all need to be good ambassadors of this great hobby-and that doesn't include digging in cemeteries.---Let's not give "them" fuel for closeing anymore good hunting sites to us.---As for me-I stand by my original statement (and this one).---I've gotta learn to speak my mind & stop beating around the bush!! :biggrin:--Let's keep this hobby "alive", everybody!--Happy hunting (in all the right places)-------Del

sorry if this offends anyone but .....................
i see it as an (it depends ) kinda thing like there is a few ghost settlements near here that i have actually spent quite a lot of time trying to find the cemetery ...so far unsuccessfully .................
but now before anyone gets upset i defiantly dont plan on swinging over any graves im thinking more along the lines adjacent land or close group of trees, where people of the time may have tied horses, parked cars, met with others before entering , ate there lunch e
maybe even around the entrance
but i would like to add these are ABANDONED settlements that are all on state game preserve land where everything is free game
and that like every one else has stated . it is illegal and immoral in almost all occasions .........pretty much how would you feel to see someone digging a hole anywhere near your loved ones grave???????????????????????????????/

Bad karma oh ya ! Breaking the Law you bet!! What is left? Hunting the outer edges (somebody got that person to the grave) of the area not the grave yard / unless the Karma (something to b said for this) thingy has got ya. Every MD'er must set their own limits/ within the law and for the sake of the addiction of the "Find" and THE HOBBY! gottit!

Andy, I read all the replys you got and it seems there was one not mentioned. That is the fact that that in some rare occasions it could prove to be Extremely Hazardous to your health and personal well being, if you were to be caught by the wrong person while detecting in a cemetery. I have told my true story on the matter on several occasions already , so will try to be brief. I was hunting an old church (no building) site, several yards from any graves and had felt it unwise to go near any graves. Upon leaving and putting my gear in the rear of my pickup, a man parked close by in a pickup summond me over, and proceeded to dress me down about digging around his kinfolk's graves. Across his lap (and his wife's also) was his 12 ga,shotgun.He told me he had planned on leaving me where I fell, after he had shot me. When he gave his name I recognized him to be the brother of another man, who I knew of that had killed another of their brothers over a piece of land with a fish pond that he wanted.Good Lord was looking out for me , as usual, and I had a good idea of what kind of crazy I was dealing with.I managed to finally get backed away from him and get in my truck and leave, I think only because he saw that I too was "packing" a side arm and realized that I would use it if he stepped from his truck or raised his gun on me. Nuff said about any kind of detecting in cemeteries. You take care and stay out of cemeteries!

Fowler C,I carry a piece when detecting alone,and I was in the Army long time in Central America,I trust no one,I've seen a lot in my life ,also been to Africa too, Kenya and Somalia,seen death up close few times.Thanks for the warning.Oh by the way this was still only a question,as I have said before.I never detected a cemetery,thanks NH ANDY.

Andy, it is good to hear you are a very able guy, and I would be quick to voice my appreciation of your service! That to me says much! I would in no way cast any doubts about your feelings towards detecting a cemetery and would myself confess to having detected, many years ago, a couple of deep woods,long abandoned, and grown over cemeteries. I honestly felt at peace and ease while doing so, and did not feel in the least that I was invading anyone's privacy. It was like the connection we make now when we dig a piece of history, and sense the connection, but it was more about just being there, and being one of the few living souls to pass through in many years.The detecting was half hearted and secondary. I don't remember finding anything other than what was left of a metal marker, and a couple of stones that I stood back in place. I even went back to one cemetery, after 2 failed attempts to find it again, and took some pics.It all proved to be a good experience and not at all like my run in with the crazy. I don't really need to tell you about those kind because I am sure you have plenty knowledge of them and how they can put you in a bind... As for hunting cemeteries, I feel when the time and place is right, it is ok,, but only if you are in a situation like the abandoned one deep in the woods and you feel at ease and peace about it. HH.