Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THOUGHTS ON DETECTING OLD CEMETERIES

NH ANDY

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were of detecting old cemeteries,and if anyone really had bad vibes from doing this ,or had a bad time in a situation were they did this type detecting before.I know most detectors only go down 13 1/2 inches and most finds are at 2 to 6 inches.I also know new tombs are concrete vaults ,were in the old days they just dug a hole.I am just curious if anyone has done this ,thanks NH ANDY

An absolute NO! Most places it is against the law. All places it gives detecting a bad moral image. Besides the cemeteries really don't see people traffic.

Here we go again!---This subject has been "beat to death" (check a LOT of past posts)---NO NO NO---it's illegal, unethical, immoral and a few other things!---It gives this fine hobby a bad rap & a bad name.---We've already got enough problems in this great hobby without adding to them.---Even if you "got away with it"--what do you think most peoples reaction would be when they see someone running around inside a cemetary with a detector & shovel or digging tool??--Not good I can assure you.----PLEASE, let's let this subject "rest in peace"!--------Del

n/t

What about those guys digging relics at Custers Last Stand,they were soldiers that fought for this country,and the Native Americans that dead there also,I would think that is not in good taste,oh I forgot,that is archeology is it ok ,they preserving the past.I always see articles on digging Civil War Battle Fields ,were thousand Died,But I guess that is archeology too.I guess few hundred years someone will be digging us up looking for relics and coins and our bones to see what made us tick,I guess when you dead it is just archeology,preserving the past,well thanks for the input this matter so far on this subject,NH ANDY.

No debates. It is against the law. And for the life of me I can't figure out what people expect to find in a cemetery. It sees less people (live people that lose things) than almost any other place. This subject should be put to rest. Read these. Some Apply.

- Never trespass. Always get permission to traverse private or restricted lands.
- Always respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
- Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your hunt.
- Always leave gates as they are found whether open or closed.
- Never do anything that might contaminate wells, creeks or other water supplies.
- Never tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment.
- Never damage or destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.
- Never spook, taunt, provoke or otherwise disturb wild or domestic animals.
- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.
- If necessary, clean up after a previous detectorist. Acting in spite of him or even just ignoring his trangressions will only hurt us all in the end.
- Always use the correct digging or probing equipment to make the least intrusion or marks.
- Never throw trash finds back in the hole.
- Leave as little sign of your passing as possible.
- Always fill in your holes, including plowed fields, sand pits, beaches and in water.
- Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
- Be thoughtful, considerate, courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at all times.
- Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.
- Report any live ammunition or other potentially lethal or toxic objects you may find to authorities after carefully noting or marking the location.
- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were hard-earned by many who came before you.

but I would like to share.
I have permission to hunt an old plantation, been in the owners family since before the Civil War.
The owner told me everything he could about the place, old house sites etc and an old slave cemetary back in the woods, didnt tell me or show me the exact spot.
The funny thing was , he was telling me where some sites were that he knew about as a kid, I have found older ones he did not know about. Well back on the cemetary thing. One day I was hunting one of the sites he suggested, full of iron,modern trash etc. I got tired of listening to constant beeps, you know, one of those days where you just dont have the patience. So, I decided to hit the woods along an old bayou. I had been out in the woods about 3 hours, just finding pieces of iron,nails etc when I got a good signal. Sized up coin size about 4 inches deep. Dug it up and it was a piece of pot metal with some ornate designs on it. Went another foot and got another signal,dug and came up with same looking piece of metal, then found another larger piece that looked like a hinge. Set my machine down and began looking around. I saw numerous depressions in the ground about the size of a grave. Said to myself this has to be the old cemetary. As I continued to look, I noticed the flowers that were growing wild and then I found one head stone, 1880- early 1900s. Vines were covering it. I left out right then and thru the metal back on the ground. I told the owner about it. He laughed and told me it was fine, hell my great grand dad may have buried some gold in there. I told him he would have to use one of my detectors and find it his ownself. It just gave me an erie feeling. I havent been back to that spot,lol.
Hope you guys dont mind me sharing this, most of my friends laugh at me and my metal detecting hobby, they dont understand, but Im sure some of you would.
HH
John

above said:
And for the life of me I can't figure out what people expect to find in a cemetery

Check your early 19 century customs...

This taboo'ness isn't rooted in any reality. NHAndy explains perfectly.

Thanks for speaking up Shambler,there nothing in Cemeteries "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT",and keep preserving the past.Thank Howard Carter,for digging up that cemetery in Egypt.NH ANDY

If you have no problems doing it why did you want our opinion on it ? I guess its really up to the individual . Happy hunting

This is a subject that's been beaten into the ground.Very bad PR for metal detecting.I think if caught in a National Cemetery with a detector you may be gone for a 5 year jail visit.

There is a pretty big difference between sites where battles took place and cemeteries where the dead are burried. Would you deer or quail hunt in a cemetery? Leave em alone. There are plenty of far better places to hunt. HH jim tn

BAD PUBLIC IMAGE........For me that says a lot. Laws vary by state and locality, although I know nothing about laws concerning cemeteries. HOWEVER.... ITS BAD FOR THE SPORT

Bad public image, definitely. Too many places are already banned to us because of irresponsible detectorists giving us a bad name. Digging in a cemetery gives the impression of grave robbing. You and I know that what we are doing is innocent and will probably not harm anything, but in the eyes of the public we look like outlaws. I say don't do it. There are plenty of other places to detect. And if I was going detecting in a cemetery I would be sure I had permission of the cemetery association or caretaker. Cemeteries are usually owned by someone, a church, a cem. assn., etc. and are not public property.

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments,I never said I detected a Cemetery at all.I was asking for friendly opinions ,but my neck is being stretch and I have not done anything other than ask a question,to all of you who have answered.I think lot of people on this forum have very low experience detecting and really do not know much and are ready to Bury me at moments notice.Most Cemeteries are owned by the towns in NH and the towns make the rules and in NH there is no law against it.Some towns have laws or RSA they hang at the cemeteries,which say " no detecting ",historic area or what they do not want you doing there,such as taking your girl or boy friend and rolling them in the cemetery at 2 pm,or drinking there,maybe just site seeing after dark.I have more than 40 year experience looking for finds,and some of have few,most of you have very bad manors,to people who ask question,be nice answer the question and know the answer ,do not just guess and a be follower. "LIVE FREE OR DIE",which was said by Gen.John Stark ,well thanks most of your bad comments,NH ANDY

Andy - Didn't fully understand your last post as it kind of rambled, but common sense would tell you that detecting cemeteries looks bad to the general public.

You and I know that you would be looking for items dropped by the living.

But to anyone who doesn't detect and sees you, you are grave robbing in their eyes.

It has nothing to do with "bad manors."

This topic has been brought up many times and to both myself and most dirt fishers, hunting cemeteries is taboo.