Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THE WHITE LADY!!!!

Micheal_R

Staff member
"THE WHITE LADY". " THE VALLEY OF THE WHITE SPONGES". Whispered with reverence and awe; and whispered in capital letters; even during the heady. rapacious days in the late 50s and early 60s, when all we were interested in was gathering as much as we could from the ocean. A place where the sponges are so large that a diver can seat himself inside of one. I know this to be true; I have sat in one.

I had been to the lady several times previously. It was always a magical dive. The sea life around McCurdy Point [where the WHITE LADY is] is always diverse and prolific. This is the area where we used to go and wrestle octopus for fun, spear fish, gather abalone and scallops,scrounge for fishing tackle,and sightsee. But the LADY; well, she was always off limits to the diving fraternity of the day for anything other than looking. And always, she inspired and fascinated us. Most every dive was made in the daylight since it was a comparatively deep dive. The valley started out at about 100 feet and went down to around 160 feet.

This was in the days that diving was a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of hobby. Masks were any colour you wanted, as long as it was black, tank pressure gauges were unheard of [we used a J valve for our reserve], depth gauges were the old capillary type and decompression tables were in your head. Computors were a generation or two in the future, but in spite of all that, I only remember one person coming down with the bends.He was a commercial diver who should have know better. Anyway, he was taking to the chamber in Esquimalt and had no problems after that.

On this particular dive, my partner and I decided that a night dive on THE LADY would be a great new experience. And so it was, on a chilly October evening, we arrived at the marker. October may sound a little wrong for a dive but this was the time that the visibility was the best. In the summer months, the algal bloom is such that your visibility drops to 4-6 feet. Diving in that, at night, is like driving in a snowstorm. And when you turn on your dive light,well, picture driving through a snowstorm with your high beams on. So, at 9:00 o'clock, we get there and suit up.. When we dropped the anchor, we could follow it down due to the phosphorescence in the ocean. It was a pretty spectacular sight.

Bob dropped over first, and then I followed. It is difficult the describe the feeling and images of the exhaust bubbles rising to the surface, disturbing the dinoflagellates, and releasing the phosphorescence. It was like the bubbles were dancing their way to the surface. With the dive lights off,we could follow each others progress easily. Occasionally, we would see a brief flash off in the distance; a fish swimming by we supposed. On the bottom, we paused to get our bearings, and descended a little further to the valley. Once there, we took time to paint in the water with our hands and arms, watch the bubbles rise, and then explore the sponges. Bob crawled in one sponge and with the phosphorescence around him and the sponge, it looked almost surreal; A moving painting. I do not think that we had the lights on for more than a couple on minutes.

All too soon, we had to surface. In rising, we saw a few more flashes in the distance and we turned on the lights. A few dogfish, maybe a hundred or so, had gathered to look at us. We rose, back to back, keeping an eye out. just to be certain. No problems arose though and we had another wonderful experience to live and remember for our lives.

Thanks for coming along

Sunny skies, clear water, calm seas

M

what i know about the oceans,didn't know there were sponges in waters that far north.always thought of sponges growing in warmer waters.sounds like diving in those days was seat of the pants everyday.

if you found fishing tackle did you try and resell it?i find the oceans more mysterious than outer space,i don't think we know the half of what it contains in it's depths.

It becomes a different world on land and under the water when the sun goes down.Thanks for sharing a facinating story to a "landluber".Great to hear from you again Mike.

buddies breathing in your oxygen, and watched the bubble release with you. Did, by chance, you ever have any photos of such things?

Are dog fish man eating, or what? Do you ever see any sharks? Sorry for all the questions, just was wonderin'. :)

We all were broke so, yes, we did sell any tackle we got. I have one more story I am currently working on. Betcha did not know that we have coral up here!! :) huge coral heads the size ov Volkswagons and larger.

Clear water

M

n/t

The problem is that cameras back then were not great either. I got a Nikonos in the 70s and that is where the pictures came from.

Dogfish are sharks. They can get to be up to 6 feet long. By themselves, they are relatively harmless. However, when there 100 or so, and they are circling you, we became a little concerned. Their skin is like a very rough sandpaper and if they rub you, it gets abraded easily.

I have dove a few times with sharks when I was diving in Cozumel in the 60s. But again, no problems. The movie JAWS had not come out yet

Sunny skies

M

Beautiful card. Many, many thanks.

Clear water

M

anymore. They had a "Shark Special" on TV the other night, and it was all about what happened. Our RV was even pictured in it. Dang, no matter how hard I try, I will never forget about that one,..........ever!

I don't think I would have nerve enough to swim with them either. You never know when they will turn on you!

I had one of those so it made you feel comparatively safe. Never had to use it though. Just a lucky guy, I guess.

Calm seas

M

...no thanks, you and Royal can HAVE all that night divin' you can handle--and my share of it too. Good read though. Thanks for sharing what I shall never experience. :look: <><

Arkie John

To have a night dive like that... well I really cannot explain it other than to say....It is almost a supernatural eaperience. :)

Sunny skies

M

is going down and all the good stuff is just starting to be exposed.

Clear water

M

It they are, just how big do they get? How can you seat yourself inside of a sponge? Can this sponge not do anything to defend it's self? While I have great difficulty grasping what it would be like to dive in the ocean, I would think that there would be many large fish with teeth that could make life miserable for you if they would so decide to do so. I do realize that this is a very exciting sport and I love to read every diving story posted on this Forum, and dream of what it would have been like to have done some diving myself. Thanks for posting this story, I really enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

When the movie "Jaws" was released, the beaches down at Padre Island and Mustang Island near Corpus Christi were deserted for six weeks...folks lost the desire to picnic there because of the movie.

Lately, there are reports of shark attacks near Houston, Texas. There sure have been reports of lots of shark attacks lately, wonder if the pollution in the water has done something to the brain cells of sharks...something has happened to make these sharks go on a rampage of biting people. I wonder if the old trick of hanging a coyote from a fence as a warning to the other coyotes to stay away could be modified, and if it would work on sharks. You would hang a shark's body from a buoy or something...might be worth a try if you could do it without a tree hugger finding out about it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)