Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The " U S Naval Ship ALGOL " Ron's Post's Merged

Ron J

:) Monday was a day off for me,so i decided to hop on my Roadstar , and take a ride to Boston to do some waterfront snooping!:) I love snooping any waterfront area's,never know what you will find. I headed down Rte.1 ,over the Mystic River bridge,thru the Big Dig area,to the North Station,bang a left,and head towards the waterfront. My destination,was Drydock #3, location of the Boston Ship Repair Inc.. This place always fascinates me. There is usually always some sort of sea going vessel to see,and photograph. On the skids,was a rather large Navy vessel. Its marked " U S Naval Ship ALGOL ". Thats odd,because usually they are numbered,not marked "U S Naval Ship". It isn't armed,or at least no armament is seen. Appeared to be a cargo vessel of some kind,with very large cranes on board. She is getting a fresh coat of paint. Imagine how many drums of paint is needed for the task? Wish i was the supplier!! :) I searched for info on her,and found it interesting. There is eight of this type,in the Navy. All were built originally as Container Ships,for Sea-Land Services in New Jersey. They were not cost effective,because of fuel consumption,as merchant ships. All are nearly the length of aircraft carriers,(946 feet) and get this..They are the fastest cargo ships in the world! They are called by the Navy, SL-7 Type Fast Sealift Ships. All are named after super giant Stars. All eight ships together,can carry all the equipment needed to equip a full Army Mechanized Division. They are manned by the US Merchant Marine,not Navy personnel,that must be why the marking is not numbered. All are kept in reduced status,with a crew of 18 men, and can be activated adding another 25 men,ready to go,in 96 hours. They have performed in Desert Shield,and Desert Storm. It would take 116 WWII Liberty Ships to carry the same tonnage as the 8 of these ships carry! I love this stuff! :) Rj [attachment 67560 Boston060.jpg][attachment 67561 Boston056.jpg][attachment 67562 Boston062.jpg][attachment 67563 Boston063.jpg][attachment 67564 Boston066.jpg][attachment 67565 Boston059.jpg]

While snooping the Boston waterfront, i came upon this rather large Crane,sitting in an empty parking lot. The gates were hanging off,so was the "No Trespassing" sign! So i invited myself in! I drove right to the edge of the dock,to view another Naval Ship, tied along side. It was on the other side of a fence,so i couldn't do any harm to her. This is where the aircraft carrier "Kennedy" was docked during her visit last spring. I noticed a late model Impala, with G11 Government plates on it, scurrying around buildings,parked cars etc, looking for suspicious activity i assumed.Figured they were Homeland Security. I viewed the ship for a few minutes,and was leaving the lot. I couldn't miss this rather large crane,as i had entered the lot,so on a whim,i stopped in frt of the bucket,figuring this would be a great shot,with my bike in front of it,for size comparison. As i was walking backwards,for distance to take a pic, the same Impala drove by me,eyeballs sizing me up an all! The two gentleman drove by,over to where i had just been,viewing the Navy Ship. I paid no attention,i wanted pics of the crane! So still walking backwards,the Impala drives by me,ready to leave thru what was left of the gate,and then circled back! Now what? The driver stopped,and stepped out,and asked me if i would like him to photograph me, on my Bike! Sure i replied! He told me my idea of a pic was great,so i showed him how to zoom etc. He took one,then told me he would snap a second,for a close-up. I thanked him,and made some small talk,asking if this was a slow day,patrolling the docks? He said because no one was around,being a Holiday,they had to watch closer. Again i thanked him,and off they went continuing there patrol. I took more shots,and that the experience was pretty cool! Evidently,i didn't seem to be a danger to the area! :blink: Rj [attachment 67566 Boston047.jpg][attachment 67567 Boston043.jpg][attachment 67568 Boston045.jpg][attachment 67569 Boston048.jpg][attachment 67570 Boston039.jpg][attachment 67571 Boston041.jpg]

currently i have 5 larger sailing schooners, two that my father made from scratch. I have others, but they are still on display,at the Coast Guard Heritage Museum, in Barnstable ,on Cape Cod. I will be retrieving them soon.

somewhere the other day, and saw a ship in a bottle and it made me think of you! Also, have you ever seen the movie "Message in a Bottle" with Kevin Costner? Even though it is a love story, it has a bunch of great looking ships and schooners in the movie. :)

Here is an old bridge,that is only for pedestrians now..[attachment 67572 Boston070.jpg] Here i tried to get contrast,between the "old" and the "modern". [attachment 67573 Boston069.jpg] This poor fellow is hidden behind the old Boston Police Diving Team bus, near the waterfront.When i go "snooping" i look everywhere for the unusual! In fact if i had my car,he may have escaped with me! :) He is waiting to be "saved" by Divers again.Practice makes perfect![attachment 67574 Boston067.jpg] This place needs a visit in the near future! [attachment 67575 Boston079.jpg] The building has a very appropriate weathervane! [attachment 67576 Boston081.jpg] I didn't think the Coast Guard would mind if i stole this parking space for a few minutes,to take pics! [attachment 67577 Boston084.jpg]

[attachment 67579 Boston009.jpg] I couldn't resist taking these shots one evening last week, Calm waters,hardly a breeze,and very relaxing. Saw the sky,hopped on the Pontoon,and headed to the mouth of the cove.Almost looks like a lake or large pond. [attachment 67578 Boston008.jpg][attachment 67580 Boston013.jpg][attachment 67581 Boston018.jpg]

of beautiful and wonderful things right at your finger tips! The one with the American flag is really special! :)

rooster on top, with N, S, E, and W on the arrows. You have a great bike! I hope you wear a helmet. The scariest thing about riding a bike is that motorists have a tendancy not to respect them! :(

great lakes but never up close. Very interesting!!

one last chance to pull a tear out of the viewer but all it did was pizz off the viewer. There was absolutely no reason to kill him off. That is one movie I will never watch again

n/t

we were down by the water and I just had to have a lobster dinner. The vane sure looks fimiliar. There is much to see if we would only look.

n/t

sucked and ruined the whole movie, in my view