Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Memorable Gift

The Christmas marketing season has begun once again and the light sprinkle of snow outside serves to remind me that it will soon enough be here.
The latest technology wares are proudly being displayed as are the latest trends in clothing amongst a myriad of choices for us soon to be Santa's.
I-pods and cellphones. Old Navy and Reebok. And on and on it goes. In this year of our Lord, 2006 A.D., long gone are the days of simple gifts and simple pleasures. Or so it seems. But memories held dear keep simple things treasured near to our hearts.
True as it may be that items of interest of today were lightyears from the research stage back then, it is also true that enjoyment was to be had in things far less complicated.

I recall as a boy of seven, standing at the door of our humble bathroom, watching my father lather his stubbled face, lather brush in hand while swirling it against the old spice soap disc neatly planted within it's mug. The sound of the warm water trickling it's way down the drain is still vivid to my senses as I'd observe this manly task.
My young prescence while my father shaved became as much a surety as did his shaving soap mug and lather brush. A lather swirl of those scented suds always found their way upon my nose and cheeks amidst my smiling pleasure and delight.
I do believe I found a sense of security in those innocent moments as a child. The day will come when I too will shave and not a day too soon, I often thought in words far simpler. Christmas's were simple then. A hockey stick, PJ's and soap on a rope. A new football or baseball bat that were always worn out too soon. But the year of my seventh Christmas found a rather unusual gift awaiting me under our tree.

I had been invited to join the ranks of the men. My very own shaving mug and lather brush complete with "plastic razor". After donning my new PJ's, I quickly found my way to the bathroom to begin what was to be one of several "shaves" that Christmas day.
If anyone was looking for me that day, they surely knew where to find me. A lathering and a shaving I was. For the most part of that day and many to follow.
The pleasure derived as a young boy from something so simple never fails to remind me amidst the coming chaos that life is a scrapbook of memories. My reason for telling this tale to you, my friends, is as simple as was that gift itself. It is not what we give or receive that will be treasured, but rather the spirit in which both have been remembered that truly makes a gift a most memorable one.

pleasant place, i enjoyed it and will remember a few more good things thanks to you!:super:

You took me back buddy to a simpler time. You are so right about the spirit of the occasion being more important as far as creating memories than the actual gift.I have warm memories of many Christmas mornings as a child.I also have a little figurine of a man on a wood pedistal with the words "Super Dad" scrawled upon it in a childs handwriting.It has had a place of honor reserved for it on my desk since my daughter gave it to me on Christmas day 1980.Great post Rob!

for birthdays and am amazed becasue it is more than we got for Christmas. I am not sure they appreciate it as much either. I wonder what their special memories will be. Or if they will have any

the simple things in life that many of us long for again! All of us have memories such as this, that make us feel warm all over, and I sure did reading yours.

I bet you still use a mug and brush today, am I right? At least part of the time???? :)

We all of us here, have some special memories. But thank you for rekindling mine.. :)

calm seas

M

You hit right on the head with saying, it's not the gift but the spirit in which it was given and received and most of all, remembered. Far too often today lavish gifts are soon forgotten.

Thanks for the great story!

Dave

:super:Awsome HOW ABOUT THOSE FROZEN PIPES . Xmas Morning .Frost on the inside of the windows.A blanket put up to Divide The house to Keep The Other Rooms WARM.Six Guns . Fort Appachie . Slinky . Table Hockey.Those Were The Best Days .:cheers:

You know boy.....the one that looks like Willy in his speedo !:lol: Oh yeah....I remember ! Our dads crawling under the crawl space before going to work trying to thaw the pipes out. Tryin' to light the space heaters with wads of paper.:lol: It's a wonder we done didn't git all blowed up !:rofl:

Nothing left for them to look forward to. Heck......poor and satisfied or......rich and wanting ? Who'd have thunk it ?:shrug: