Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Licensed Homestead

make me sigh in resignation for my misspent youth!
I roamed around a recently (couple years) abandoned "coal town" in the mid 60's. The houses were pristine, all the furniture in place and intact, dishes still on tables etc, lots of antique items. Everyone had left in a hurry and as it was way out in the mountains on poor roads, they took little with them.
My bro Ken and i just kinda had no interest, we were hunting. A year later we came by again and all was trashed!
Thanks for a good story!
Wayne

There had to have been a few treasures hangin' about that place. And seeing it developed would've turned my belly too. A friend of mine was looking into getting Jim and I permission to detect another friend of his' property. He explained to me that his buddy was an ole' fuddy dud but he thought he could get us on. It so happens that this guy had torn down this house that he had bought(on the waterfront) not fifty yards from a famous fort of the War of 1812 (Fort Malden in Amherstburg). It would've been a boon, believe me. When I went back to inquire, my friend informed me that ALL the topsoil had already been trucked away. I was sick about it. There was sure to be late 1700 coins and military buttons on a scale that we'd likely never see again. And to think that some unsuspecting patron is going to buy this topsoil for their yard or garden. Still makes me wanna cry when I think about it.:)

When my son Kyle, was about eight or nine, he came into the house one day with a civil war miniball--a 58 cal three-ringer--. I asked him where he got it and he pointed to a pile of top soil Virginia had had delivered a year or so previous. I scoured that soil and found nothing else.

I also found the general location of where it came from but was unsuccessful at finding anything other than insects!

I spoke to Linda a day or so ago. There is an outside chance that she has the film clip. If she does, I'll see if I can get an image off it and post it. FIRST, SHE has to FIND it. :lol:

Thanks for reading and posting back! <><

aj

It seems like the more important an historical old place might be, the more it is defiled.

It's a good thing I'm not a judge, it's REAL good that the transgressors didn't come before my court. I would not be compassionate.

aj

kinda sad when you think of all of the places like that one that have gone under the dozer blade. Maybe someday you'll find that film! Thanks for the walk!

Dave