Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Licensed Homestead

Arkie John

Ron's recent post reminded me of a special in a special time. Come along with me, if you have the time. You might even somewhat amused.

A few decades back, three and a half to be exact, Daddy and I hunted a ranch called Ferguson's Ranch. It spanned about 4000 acres, give or take. Did it ever provide for some good hunting.

Now, on that place there were several old homesteads--I mean log cabin left-overs complete with out buildings. It was the setting for several treasure hunts. I don't recall ever finding anything of serious consideration with that fine TR machine of mine, but I DID look for that lost loot and had much fun doin' it.

One day, I had chased my last gobbler of the day and it was up toward elevenish, I took a compass reading and set out across unexplored territory, the quickest way back to my jeep. On my trek, I came upon an old homeplace made of rough-sawn pine--and it was in relatively good condition. No vandals had defiled it because it was so far back in the woods. I drank from the creek, 'cause it was plenty hot, and just took a look around. It was a curious sight and I found myself wanting to spend some time there. I knew it was early 20th century-- not only by the way it was contructed and the farm implements left to rust, but in viewing the license plates...HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of license plates. More on that later. The wood was much weathered but still had integrity about it. The well was still intact as was the outhouse. There was an ajoining 60-acre field, gently rolling to the next hardwood stand 400 yards in the distance. There was a horse-drawn hay rake and plow and an old tractor of some sort, with iron wheels, just worn completely down. Then there was the main barn, 150 yards from the house itself. In it, I found a '36 (I think) Plymouth, abandoned for good reason.

Now, let's get back to the license plates. You see, the house was a five-room affair with a 12-12 roof, probably a 20 X 40. The barn was probably 30 X 60, with the same pitch roof. Now get this. The roofs on both structures were "shingled" ENTIRELY with license plates ranging in dates from the teens to the early 30's! Inside the barn, the interior walls were covered with, you guessed it, hundreds of Arkansas Plates! Some of them were in fabulous condition.

I took my first wife and her parents out to see it one Sunday a few weeks later and took along my trusty new super-8 movie camera. I got lots of good film of that old place that afternoon. The film has since been lost (a casualty of the divorce, I reckon) but the memories are forever emblazzoned on my mind.

We never knew who owned the old place. I supposed that the man of the house was employed by the Department of Motor Vehicles for an extended period of time and farmed on the side... and that he maybe lost his farm during the depression. I just dunno. I wish I had taken better care and interest, to learn more about the folks that called that place home.

I went back to see it about five years ago and was just shocked to see the land had been all subdivided, sold and built upon with spanking new upscale homes. I was just sick. Every smidgen, every plate, every board of that old place was just no more. Sometimes we never know what we have until we lose it.

I kept some two dozen plates that I had scavenged, for at least two moves but soon tired of toting them around and gave them away to some collector--can you imagine that????

Looking back, it was a really special place. I really wish that the people that bought the old place had had a better appreciation of our heritage. A houseplace like that will never, ever be built again.

Such a loss! But I have the memories and some 6 minutes of super-eight film somewhere...and YOU have this story.

Thanks for comin' along. I'll see you 'round the bend. <><

aj

It is a shame that you do not have any pictures to post, they would have been interesting to see.

When I was a young boy, while hunting I found an old log cabin type house way back in the brush. It was kinda spooky and I did not stay there very long. However, for weeks I thought about that old cabin and finally went back for a second look. In the beams of the roof, I found an old rusted double barrel shotgun that was missing the hammers. I still have it out in the garage. Just the other day I saw the barrel and stock, but I don't know where I put the trigger guard and butt plate...I still have them, but I just do not know what box they are packed in. If anyone would be interested, I will be happy to post a picture. As a matter of fact, maybe this would be a basis of a story.

Arkie John, thanks for posting this story, very enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Boy, I'd like to read a full-blown story of that shotgun. It's right down my alley!

I forgot to mention the license plates on that old house--many were in sequential numbers, which led me to believe he worked for the state revenue department. Who else would have access to left-over license plates???

It was a neat, intriguing old place. I really wish that I had taken some good still photos of the place. I remember it had old newspapers from the 1920's on the walls to cover the old rough-sawn wood. Over the newspapers they had placed cardboard, maybe from flattened boxes. I don't think the old place ever received a coat of paint. The gray patina was just perfect, in every way.

Thanks for reading and posting. <><

aj

Too bad I didn't begin with this one. It was a charming old place that represented a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but covered with a family's love for one another. <><

aj

enjoyed your story,saw a program on HGTV where someone used license plates as siding on their house.12-12 roof?is that possible?:)i would hate to have to roof the thing.

...a roof going twelve feet up and twelve feet out would be a forty-five degree angle roof.

Many old houses had those steep, steep roofs, 12-12 or steeper. Now the newer houses with their vaulted ceilings have the same thing--except THEY have insulation! I reckon there's nothing new under the sun.

I googled "licence plate house" and found a forum that had a house from 1939 that had a license plate roof. I couldn't get the photo to come up because I couldn't get the forum moderator to activiate my new account.

Thanks for reading and posting. <><

aj

while we were out there fall before last. It was so interesting to explore and try to imagine what it was like to live in such a place so long ago,

Thanks for the story John, I love your style

It would be interesting to know where those people got that many license plates and how long it took to collect them.

...were in sequential numbers. The place was located about 40 miles west of Little Rock, a descent car ride to work, maybe.

With the sheer volumn of sequentially numbered plates, the ole' boy either bought them as salvage or just scarfed them up at the end of the expiriation period, as an employee.

Thanks for reading and posting back. <><

aj

They represent much dedication to family and self, and much, much hard, bone-aching work. Back in those early days, having a pair of "matched" mules (matched, meaning two mules of similar strength and temperment) was better than having a new GMC V-8, these days. The mules gave to the budget by actually earning their keep, the GMC, as pretty as it may be, just takes away.

Thanks, Royal, for the post and for ridin' herd over this bunch! <><

aj

I can vaguely remember from my youth, going hunting, and coming on a road, in the middle of a dense forest,made of crushed cinders. As I walked it, I came upon a few houses that were being reclaimed by the forest. The homes were fully furnished. I have often wondered what happened to them

Thank you for the trip

Calm seas

M

I have a couple of cellar holes I need to investigate soon. Nothing left but the cellar holes themselves and a few foundation rocks--just the place for an old undiscovered post-hole bank full of Morgan silvers!

Thanks for postin'

aj

I remember finding a falling in old house way back in the woods many years ago. It had been empty for many years. Off in the brush was a Model A Ford truck.I remember it being mostly complete but wrecked on one side.Probably worth a few dollars for parts these days.I don't know if I could even find it today or even if it still is there.

.. a long time ago in old Colorado mountain towns, but as a kid I wasn't much interested in collecting anything. Today, I have a few dozen of my Dad's Colorado license plates dating from 1939 to about 1960, but haven't decided what to do with them... in that respect, I wish we'd have kept the first issues of Superman and Batman comics -- yeah, my brother and I had stacks of that sort of stuff, but who ever thought it would be worth anything? Just like Mickey mouse watches -- when they quit running we threw them away! It wasn't worth fixing a cheap toy watch.

What I HAVE discovered is that geezers such as myself are generally considered to be noncollectable due to massive disinterest! And I thought I wuz unique...

-- Ol' Frank

but Virginia took me anyways!

I just shake my head at the stuff we threw away. But some people didn't. Virginia's brothers had a massive amound of baseball cards, '60s and 70's. She mentioned to me the other day that in her parent's attic they were all still there and upon their eventual passing the brothers would once again, rediscover their collection.

No one can even LOOK at them now. So, I imagine one day when the time is right, they will travel that lane together, high-fiving all the way to the bank.

Thanks for readin' and postin' my friend.

aj

...somebody writes a piece that stimulates the ole' memory one more time.

Wouldn't it be neat if you could locate that old house place again! That old car would be worth the trouble, methinks.

Good to hear from you, bud. <><

aj