Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Hay Loft Chronicles (Part II)

just makes you want to go back to that time:).no cell phones,vcr's,cable TV and a host of other gadgets that make the world smaller and minimize the one you knew.

we built a fort almost every year,a place to hide and smoke cigarettes,also a place to get in when the winter winds came and hang out on school nights until time to go home.we tried to tunnel into an embankment once with rope tied to the diggers feet.we were going to try and carve out a room.

that lasted about 5 feet

we would dig tunnels into the bank of a hill and camouflage it. We would dig holes in the path running from the store to the school. We would then fill them with mud and such, cover them with twigs and such. Little sand over that and hide to watch who would fall in them. I told the story about the meanest teacher in our school stepping in one :D

In the winter we had snow forts and I even hollowed out the center of a big old brush pile one time for a fort. It was not very water proof but nobody ever found it!

You brought back some memories John. Ummmm, Sunny ever visit a hay loft?? Purty little thing like that ought to have hay in her hair all the time.. :rofl:

with forks till ole man Koski got himself a baler... Used to pick it out of the wagons with a set of tongs on a pully system up to the haymow and pull it in then fork it away so the next tong full could get put in. Brings back some great memories.

Never got "lucky" in a hayloft though!:rofl:

I can remember doing pretty much all that you said in this tale.... and it brings back a flood of memories. :thumbup:

fair winds

Mikie

I worked the hay fields for several years as a young lad.I always disliked the stacking in the barn more than the field work.You described it exactly as I remember it.....the occasional baled up snake,the smells of a cut field...

The last year I remember putting up hay I was paid 3 cents per bale in the barn for my labor.Got paid just in time for the annual County fair.I had a pocket full of money and promptly spent most of it on a young lady showing her a good time at the fair.As I remember,it was money well spent!:bouncy:

Thanks for a great story that took me back

started pitching it with a fork then the baler. I am sitting here enjoying the memories, all of them! Thank you truly:thumbup:

was when me and Linda Shaw got Rex Carter up in his hay loft. As most boys, he thought he might steal a few kisses if he got us to cooperate. At the time, I thought boys still had cooties. I had my Brownie pocket knife, and Shaw and I commenced to using hay rope and tied Rex's hands behind his back, and bound up his feet real good. Then we took HIS pocket knife, hung it on a rope from the rafter about a foot from his face.

We thought if he was smart enough, he would be able to somehow get the knife in his mouth, and cut himself free. He wasn't.

Mr. Carter called daddy about six hours later, told him what me and Shaw had done to Rex. Seems he almost had a heat stroke in the loft of that old barn. Daddy made me call Mr. Carter AND Rex and apologize! That hurt more than a whippin' would have. Then I got the talk about playing with the boys all the time! Heck, Shaw was the only girl in the neighborhood besides me, and I thought I WAS a boy for the longest time if you will remember! :lol:

Thanks for the story taking me back to the days when we all had it made. We may have not had a lot of money, but we sure did have fun!!!! ILY, :)

that you were pretty ugly as a kid. No takers huh?

I have only one hay loft memory and I sure can not relate it here :D

...unless you can remember them. :lol: That's what a lot of these "story forum" stories do for us.

I likes it! And I'm really glad you took some pleasure in this reading.

aj

...>bingo< a thought pops in to the ole' brain for a story.

So glad I was able to take you back. I should have related the haying to the county fair. Thanks for the reminder.

aj

The days are getting shorter even now with the season closing! I wonder of the memories out there this fall and winter, yet to be made.

waiting with anticipation,

aj

That was a real HOOT!!! We kidded that boy until there was no tomorrow about that!!!! I don't know if the boy EVER got over it!

Those were the great times!!! I will forever treasure those moments!

ily,
Johnboy