Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Guardian Bell............

Kelley (Texas)

A week or so ago when I bought my new, bigger, faster, and heavier motorcycle, something took place at the dealership that I sorta shrugged aside...so excited getting the new bike that I just did not pay much heed to what transpired that day.

While waiting for the new motorcycle to be serviced and delivered to me, an old man approached me and started a conversation. He asked me if that new silver colored bike was mine...he said it was a beautiful bike. Unfortunately, I was not giving him my complete attention because I was looking through the door watching my bike being serviced. I remember him asking me how long I had been riding a motorcycle. During our visit, I found out that he had been riding a motorcycle for over forty years...when I looked across the parking lot at his old, rusted Harley-Davidson motorcycle, I thought to myself that he was probably telling the truth and that was probably the first motorcycle that he had ever owned. For a few moments, I was fearful that he could read my mind, but thank goodness the subject was changed as we continued our visit.

The shop owner walked out to let me know that my bike would be ready in about fifteen more minutes. He then started talking to the old man and I became a bystander which was fine with me. After a minute or two, the shop owner asked me if I would remain at the shop for a few minutes after my bike was delivered, that the old man wanted to go home to get something that he wanted me to have. I said sure as I watched in amazement as the old man rode out of the parking in a loud roar and a cloud of dust...I was surprised, that old man did indeed know how to ride and handle a motorcycle.

After a few more minutes, the bike was rolled out into the parking lot...gosh, it was beautiful. At that moment I heard a loud roar and the old man came flying into the parking lot, screeching to a halt just feet from where I was standing. He said that he had something that he wanted to give me...he pulled a small bell out of his pocket. He explained that the bell was what was known as a "Guardian Bell" and he really wanted me to have it. He tied the bell with a piece of leather throng to the left bottom frame of my bike and told me that the bell would bring me good luck and would keep me safe while riding the motorcycle. He made me promise that I would never remove it from the bike unless it needed to be polished. Being that it was a tiny bell, you could barely see it attached to the bike. We visited for a few minutes and I thanked him as we parted ways...he headed North and I headed for home, proudly riding the new bike.

Folks, a strange thing happened today! This morning at the last moment, I had decided to take a ride up to New Braunfels, Texas. It was going to be a beautiful day, a perfect day to ride some of the back roads and grab a bite to eat in New Braunfels, a small town originally settled by some folks from Germany back in the 1840's. I was in hog heaven as I rode through this beautiful area of the Texas Hill Country...lots of hills, trees lining many areas of the road. I was riding at sixty miles an hour, and as I started climbing one of the hills a strange feeling over came me and for some reason that I can not explain, something told me to slow down. As I topped the hill, there dead ahead was a pickup truck stopped in my lane with a farmer changing a flat tire and a car was coming towards me from the other direction. I stopped short of hitting that truck...thank goodness I had slowed down when I got that strange feeling. If I had not slowed down, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have run into the back of that pickup truck. What makes this even stranger is that after I stopped, I heard that small bell ring. I can not explain why any of this transpired...I will always wonder if that Guardian Bell saved my hide today! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After I arrived back home, I did a Google search on the subject of Guardian Bells and this is what I found.

The Legend of the Ride Bell
Many years ago, on a cold December night, a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked.

As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and to his trusty old pan that hadn

you couldn't hookup with the old timer, for a ride or two. Sounds like quite a character!

was worried to hear about your near miss! Biking can be a learning curve, sometimes a sharp one and things happen for a reason.
If you come to see us on your big cycle, maybe put some cotton in the bell when you stop or camp at night in the mountains. Remember how to tell the difference between Black bears and Grizzlies by their droppings.
Black bear droppings have lots of berries in them and smell kinda fruity. Grizzly droppings have scraps of PETA and Sierra club posters and little bells in them and smell like pepper spray. A "dinner bell" is a bad idea in Grizzly country:biggrin:
Take care friend;)
Wayne

full name and address so that I can send you one of these Guardian Bells. They are kinda neat mounted under your bike. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Just about the time that you think you are doing good, something happens...killer snake attacking you to almost running into the back of a pickup truck. In regards to a bell attracting a Grizzly Bear, if I could talk Royal into getting a bike and riding with me on the trip, we could put the bell on his bike. I could ride for help while Royal was fighting with the bear...Royal has more experience with bears than I do. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

I've never heard that one. Might be because most of it was around dirt bikes where a bell would not be there long on the bottom of it.
But I have been road riding since age 16, hung out at many bike shops but still never heard about the bell. I wonder if its a Western thing, or perhaps our season is to short for it to have caught on here. It sure sounds like another great bonding thing between riders.
Here most riders will show either a hand down to the side or a clenched fist as they pass you on the roads. More so with the big road bikes, and seldom on the crotch rockets. Just a different mentality on what its about perhaps.

Really a great idea for sure and a lot of food for thought. I know I've been helped by other bikers over the years and I've always done the same to bike riders and also to to people in cages or cars. I always felt it was good public relation when a biker would stop and help out a lady, family, man on the road who back east seem to have a different of what most bikers really our. Many are still hung up the Hells Angels as the guy on the loud harleys. We printed up cards at our club that we pass on out or leave also. We never take money either, just trying to show that we are people just like them, enjoying recreation on a different form of transportation.

The same with our woods rider. We get involved in all the rescues that take place around these parts in the woods, lost kids, lost hikers, lost animals. Anything that shows we can be useful. We hold a lot of toy for tots events and a few of us have been in Patriot Riders groups.

But again, its a great story and If you give me your permission, I'd like to post it on our road riders forum with your permission.

I like any kind of bike stories and have heard many over the years but yours was very refreshing. For a band of brothers, we are more alike than different.

George-CT

full name and address, I will send you a "Guardian Bell." In the next day or two, I will try to take a picture of the "Guardian Bell" tied to the left front bottom of my bike. I did not think much about it at first, but now I think it is really neat.

We acknowledge other bikers with a wave out to the side with two fingers in a "V". I have never seen anyone down here use a clinched fist, and you would probably get your azz kicked if you did. :rofl: Some of the Harley riders will only acknowledge other Harley riders and they have a tendency of looking down at the Metric riders...I really do not care as that is their problem if they want to act that way. One time I ran into a group of outlaw bikers, and I just acknowledge them with a nod and was surprised when they gave a nod back...I was glad when they rode on down the highway.

Say, glad to see you posting again. Are you feeling better? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

And it seems as though the bell has already helped you.

Many thanks for the story.

Calm seas

Mikie

to the roads...they often are narrow when compared to modern made roads. Many of the houses in the Hill County did not get electricy until the 1950's. It is fun riding these back roads because of all the history in the area, but you must be careful because of the farmers that drive on these roads. It is even quite common to come around a bend in the road and encounter a farmer riding a tractor. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

ticket. Owned a few, dumped a few, hardly ride anymore cuz I don't own one now.

Fred, I have never heard of the "guardian bell" but I'm gonna remember it! That's a great thing for him to do! Someday maybe you'll have a chance to give a bell to someone you meet riding!

Dave

n/t

Say, what did you think of my suggestion that you get a bike and we ride together up into Canada? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

you know sometimes people will change tires with half their cars out in the road even with a shoulder.i'd rather ruin a wheel than get killed,glad you were heads up coming over the hill.

I think it would be great but I can not afford a motorcycle and I doubt my scooter would keep up with you. I doubt that my old self could keep up with you.

It would be a ball if it was not rushed though. Lots to see

this old rider. It is a blessing of sorts I believe. I found the stories about the bell really fasinating, and am glad he came back with one for you! I know how this is very thrilling for you, and I am glad you have found something that you really enjoy. You just be careful, as we all know you are. Photograph your little gift. :)

you had better show up more often or I am a gonna come down there in hillbilly land and wup up one your elderly old arse!! Just who do you think you are abandoning us thisaway??!!