Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Friendly Giant

bdahunter

For those of you who are Canadians, you'll probably remember the Friendly Giant as a kids show that ran on CBC television for practically forever. The show always opened to the sound of 'Green Sleeves' with farm animals on a scale model farm in the valley and the model of a castle up on the hill. "And now back to the castle" the deep voice of Friendly would intone and we were all transported to the giant's castle with his friends Gerome the Giraffe and Rusty the Rooster for half an hour of good hearted fun.
While going to school at the University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario I met a woman who told me a wonderful story about The Friendly Giant. Friendly had lived in the town of Guelph for most of his life, making the early morning journey into the big city of Toronto each day to tape the next show for 'The Friendly Giant'. "He was the same person off the screen as he was on" the woman told me, "a large, kind and gentle person who everybody loved."
One Halloween in the 60's this woman had sent her children out to trick or treat with her oldest son of 10 in charge of his younger brother of 5 years old. The night was the good clean fun that we all remember, at least until the older brother met up with some of his school friends and they started running from house to house in a race to get the last of the Halloween loot. The 5 year old brother couldn't keep up and was left behind by himself to wander the streets in his costume amongst strangers. The little tike was lost now and wandered aimlessly looking for a familiar landmark but it soon became obvious that his situation was hopeless. As the darkness closed in he stopped beside a brick cloumn with a jack o'lantern on top of it in front of a modest brick bungalow, he sat down against the column under the pumpkin and started to cry.
As luck would have it the bungalow belonged to the Friendly Giant. Now, Friendly had placed a two way intercom system inside the jack o'lantern in order to talk to the kids that came to his house for trick or treat. Over the intercom came the sounds of the young lad's sobbing. Friendly was packing up at the end of the night and heard the sobbing and looked out his window but couldn't see the boy hidden by the brick column so he picked up the mike and said "What seems to be the matter?" The little boy jumped up and stared in awe at the talking pumpkin "Who's there?' asked the little boy with more than a little fear in his voice.
"Why just me" said Friendly in his warm and kind voice through the pumpkin.
"Pumpkins can't talk" said the boy somewhat indignantly, he didn't know much at his age but he knew that much.
"Oh, I'm a magic pumpkin" said the jack o'lantern "and every year on Halloween Night I can talk." The youngster was stunned at the magic pumpkin's response and gave the jack o'lantern a good look but couldn't see the wire that was carefully concealed by Friendly.
"Why are you so sad?" said the deep, calm voice. The little boy poured out his tale of woe to the pumpkin about his brother leaving him, how he was lost and afraid and please would the magic pumpkin help him to get home to his Mom?
"OH" said the pumpkin "I can only talk, I can't move around as I have no feet but I know someone who could take you home."
"Who?" asked the little boy.
"Do you know who The Friendly Giant is?" asked the pumpkin.
"Oh, Yes" said the little boy "I watch him everyday".
"Well" said the pumpkin "The Friendly Giant is a good friend of mine and I will send him to you to help you get home if you will just wait here a minute." "Will you wait for Friendly?" asked the pumpkin.
"Yes" the tike exclaimed.
So Friendly did a quick change into his costume while his wife kept an eye on the youngster from the window. One minute later, The Friendly Giant came down the driveway and took the little boy by the hand. Through the neighbourhood they walked together chatting quietly about the show and Rusty the Rooster and Gerome the Giraffe. What was it like to live in a Castle? How come he was so much bigger on television? All the questions you would expect from a 5 year old who had just had a fright but been saved by the nicest, kindest man in the world.
Eventually they came to a street that the little boy recognized and soon they arrived at the front door of the youngster's home, both in their costumes. There were sounds of yelling and crying coming from the house as the mother and father lambasted the older brother for losing his younger sibling. "Where did you lose him?" they yelled.
The mother rushed to the door at the sound of Friendly's knocking and stopped in shock as she recognized the TV Giant standing on the front stoop with her youngest son. She swept the little tike up into her arms and thanked the nice man for bringing her son home.
"My pleasure" said the giant in his green leotards and tunic "I enjoyed our little walk and talk."
"Can I make you a cup of tea" asked the mother. "Or a drink" asked the father, also a little star struck.
"No, no thank you" said the man in green "it's getting late and I have to be at work early."
"Thank You So Much" the parents said to the big, green figure as he turned and wandered back down the driveway on his way home.
As Friendly turned down the street they all heard him say those familiar words "And now back to the Castle".
Friendly in the early days of the show 1958
[attachment 66663 403.jpg]
The last year of the show 1985
[attachment 66664 friendlygiant2_433.jpg]

Thank You ...bdahunter
This brings back a memory of a happier care free time of my childhood and how special it was to be able to sit and watch this show on TV ...
August is my tough time of the year , it is the month were if I get through it means I have a successful season or a bust ... out of 9 giant pumpkins that I started with I am currently down to 2 due to a soil virus ...it means next year I try to treat the ground and hope it works or find new clean ground ....that and personal problems it has not been a very happy ...
Thank you for this bright moment
Bill G.

it is sure good to see you posting again. It has been rather dead this summer. I hope things pick up this winter. I have to get off my butt and get something going.

Your storys are always interesting and informative! Thanks for taking the time to post this one:thumbup:

He was a lot better than Uncle Bobby and Bimbo the Birthday Clown too. It's nice to see a celebrity who is as kind and as decent as the character he portrays on TV. No wonder The Friendly Giant was on for 27 years.

Good to be Back,

Eric

PS: Uncle Bobby was an outrageous drunk who had a constant stream of bimbos through his dressing room, according to the show's cameraman who was the brother of a girl I used to date.;) One show Uncle Bobby was so hammered that Traffic Officer John had to keep propping him up so the little pervert wouldn't fall down.

Buffalo Bob!

n/t

what has happened with Linda now? She off one another adventure? Living the good life? Catching fish?

n/t

As a kid I got to go see a taping of the show , ...what a let down to see that it was not real buildings and such ,,,, My mom at the time was a guest on the Critter Corner part of the show it was put on my the M.S.P.C.A. and the man who did that part was a personal friend of the family ,John McFarland (sp?) . We had at the time a pet black bird we called Blackie that we raised up after it was pushed out of the nest as a featherless chick .... very friendly bird , it even got out loose one day and flow off and happened to land at a Golf course during a tournament , lets just say a few Pro's games went to H*ll due to this bird landing on there should in mid swing or to have their ball get pushed in to the cup as they walked on to the green and then have to push the bird away to get their ball out ....:rofl:

Bill G.

I notice from the responses that our childhood heroes of yesteryear are more genuine than the politically correct, prepackaged and censored childhood role models that kids have today. From Barney to Madonna in a few short years, no wonder there's trouble for today's generation.

Say what you mean and mean what you say,

Eric:cool:

n/t

going to have to quit giving the brothers such a hard time about their catches. Just to dang hot..........for both me AND the fish! :(

what happened to Sunny!:crazy:

I know the ole giant has a special place in your heart.

Thank you for taking me to a place and introducing me to a person that makes a difference.

aj