Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The first computor programmers... A short history

Micheal_R

Staff member
The year was 1945. The clacking of adding machines and clouds of cigarette smoke filled a university-owned row house along Walnut Street in Philadelphia. Inside, dozens of women calculated trajectories to help wartime artillary gunners take aim. Men, the army reasoned, lacked the patience for such tedium-a single problem might require months of work.

The army called the women "computors". One of them, Jean Bartik, was a 20 year old math prodigy recruited from the farms of Missouri. Another, Betty Holberton, was the granddaughter od an astronomer who spent her childhood steeped in classical literature and language. The women formed a tight fellowship, drawn together by youth, brains, and the war effort.....

One day, word spread that the brightest "computors" were needed to work on a new machine called the Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computor, or ENIAC- a steel behemoth, 100 feet long and 10 feet high, built of 17,480 vacuum tube in an engineering building at the University of Philadelphia.It was the first electronic computor, intended to automate thr trajectory calculations that the female computors performed by hand.

Runnung the ENIAC required setting dozens of dials and plugging a ganglia of heavy black cables into the face of the machine, a different configuration for every problem. It was this job- "programming" they came to call it- to which just six of the young women were assigned;Marilyn Meltzer, Ruth Teitelbaum,Kay Antonelli, and Frances Spence as well as Ms. Bartik and Ms. Holberton. They had no users guide. there was no operating system or computor languages, just hardware and human logic. "The ENIAC was a son-of-a-bitch to program" Says Bartik.

The first task was breaking down complex differential equations into the smallest possible steps. Each of these had to be routed to the proper bank of electronics and performed in sequence. Every datum and instruction had to reach the correct location in time for the opertaion that depended on it, to within 1/5000th of a second.

Despite this complexity, the Army brass considered the programming to be clerical work; that it was women stringing the cables only reinforced this notion.Their government- job ratingwas SP, as in "subprofessional" Initially, they were prohibited as securioty risks, from even entering the ENIAC room, forcing them to learn the machine from wiring diagrams.When finally admitted, they had to straighten the clutter of gear the engineers left overnight.

Finally, in February 1946, the scientists were ready for the official ENIAC official unvieling.A test problem involving the trajectory of a 155 mm shell was handed to Jean Bartik and Better Holberton for programming. The machine performed flawlessly, calculating the trajector in less time than it would take the shell to land. After the demonstation, the men went out for a celebratory dinner. The programmers went home.

In the 50 plus years since, their legacy is confined mainly to movietone footage and sepia photos.-women standing alongside the machine, as if modeling a frigidaire. Why was history so ungenerous? Partly because in the awe surrounding the machine itself, the hardware was seen as the whole story.In addition,three of the programmers married engineers with top jobs on the ENIAC, making them wives first in the eyes of history makers and history writers.

A copious, definitive history of the ENIAC, written by the Army ordnance officer who commanded the project, merely lists the programmers names [misspelling one of them] and identifies which of the engineers they married.

The greater injustice is not historys' treatment of the women, but its' resistance to revision.... For example, until an enthusiastic historian made an issue of it, most of the programmers had not even been invited to the gala dinner celebrating the 50th anniversary if the ENIAC.

http://ftp.arl.mil/ftp/historic-computers/

a hundred dollars all these professional women had on garter belts and silk hose....and they were not even considered sexy at the time. Women can be both, it's been proven over many years. :)

i sometimes wonder if educators at big universities aren't asked to identify and report gifted students.lets say a person was a gifted chemist and engineer and had the ability to create different technologies on his or her own and the goverment wanted them somewhere else would they be brow beat and pressured to serve in a field he or she didn't want to.

i think not being given credit is something that happens in the military and in private industry.a guy i worked with came up with a faster way of doing something,can't remember what it was,but it saved time and money but the distribution manager got the credit for it.

I remember when computers in science movies would fill up an entire room. It is sad that the women involved in developing the early computers were never given the proper recognition...many, like myself, never knew of their involvement until you brought it to our attention with your story posted above. Your story was both interesting and fascinating...thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

was able to marry a gal like that. I wouldn't trade her for the world.
Golly I am blessed. :)

However, Debbie does not care if I tease Sunny. I wish that our telephone was not broken so that Sunny could call her and confirm this. Before they left to go shopping, Debbie told me to tell Sunny that she did not mind me teasing her...trust me! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl: :jump: :rofl:

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

It's amazing how those "subprofessional" women were able to do all those jobs without complaint and make it work! My hat's off to them!

Dave

History books are full of inaccuracies and just plain BS. It is a shame that there is so little that we can believe