Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Feds and Metal Detector Depth

pb-to-au

Every year the Metal detector companies come out with the latest and greatest, and sometimes they squeeze another inch or so in depth or do something to stabilize a circuit or something. Did you know the Federal Government legislates how deep your detector can go, and that is the Primary Reason the manufacturers can't make a machine cabale of finding targets down 20 or thirty inches?? No Black Helicopters or Paranoid Rambling here. The FCC rules apply to metal detectors, since they are all radio wave transmiters they are limited to 5 watts of output. Period. Anybody have any (SHHHHH!) info on how to disable that component on the different types of metal detectors without screwing up the machine otherwise??? I am mostly in the water so I will take my chances with Big Brother Bushie and his FCC Mob!

Check out the Anchor Link Concretion with 18'th century Spanish coins. Found in Mass. a few years ago along with a Pewter Flagon, many loose Reales, Bronze spikes, Etc. After Hurricane Bob. Remember that East Coast Dud ? Well, the anchor link and the stacks of coins around it sat there for how long? The Iron Link totally rusted away leaving a hollow cast of itself and leaving a lump of rust studded with coins.We impregnated the lump with Epoxy since these concretions crumble after they dry out. Still kicking around my desk after all these years!

(just a stupd reference to the pb-to-au user name)

I didn't realize that about detector depth and I can't answer your question, but I DO really like the epoxy/coin slab you got there - heck of a nice collectible!

don't laugh too hard dude! Tis true the grinch that stole metal detector depth is the FCC. Seriously, ask any maker about those rules.Does not apply only to Metal Detectors, as the makers of some Sirius radio systems just found themselves involved in a tiff with the FCC about the transmitters for cars. Real Deal!

I was told 5 watts.I do know over five watts of RF output you are supposed to register with the FCC.As an example most CB radios are five watts and you don't need a license from the Bushie Boys, but if you bump up to many SSB/uhf units you do. As for the milliwatts, i am NOT an electrical engineer or metal detector circuit wizard, but I think you would need much more output than in the milliwatt range.Besides, I want to black out my neighbors T.V. with my output,let alone interfere just a bit!~

George Bush and the "Bushie Boys" have nothing to do with the current limitations imposed by the FCC. As has been pointed out to you, that was changed a long time ago and for reasons necessitated by other communications requirements. Can we not come to a forum on METAL DETECTING without somebody trying to push his political agenda on us with ill-informed cracks like that? :shrug: :rolleyes:

Shhhhhhhhh!! dont tell anybody i just dug a 1936 mercury dime at 13 in and a 58 mini at 20 in out of the hard pan . someone must have goofed at the factory.
fieldboy

Above 10kHz the rules vary a great deal depending on frequency and the transmission mode, so 100mW or 5W really doesn't cover all the instances by any means.

And in reality it's not so much the transmit that's as important as the receive. Detectors able are to detect all sorts of targets(that is that the machine detects the target) but YOU can't hear it because the sound the target makes is mixed in with the ground noise. Increasing transmit power increases the return target signal, but also increases the return ground signal(noise).

Think it of like shining a flashlight through a window at night, some light reflects back into your eyes making it difficult to see out into the dark. Using a flashlight twice as bright will cause the beam to travel further out into the darkness, but twice as much light will also reflect back at you.

This is why you see manufacturers turning more and more to DSP(Digital Signal Processors)where they can take the signal and convert it into a digital format. And just as most home users can take their digital cameras and manipulate their pix in photo software, so too are the current detector designers manipulating the "snapshots" they are taking of the received detector signals in a DSP.

HH
BarnacleBill

Well, let's see a 58 minibal has the relative mass of about twenty quarters, or a couple of size 11 10k class rings. I was digging at that depth 20 years ago with a Whites DI series 2 analog machine using all metal and digging everthing that did not null the threshold. So I was even DISCRIMINATING somewhat at that depth. In 1975! I also remember that at one time you could buy some five pin signal booster that went between the loop and the control box. Never bought one so can't say if was effective or not. I am throwing this idea out to get some idea if anyone has tried any similar mods. and what were the results. This is not a pissing contest boys! I currently run 3 water machines and not one can go deeper than 15 inches in DISC. for coin sized objects and regular size rings. I think we could get better than that after 20 yrs!

Ok, my skin might be a tad thin. But as a regular member of 3 different forums (and I count all metal detecting forums as one of the three) that also include a motorcycle forum and a computer forum, I grow weary of the constant steering of the topic somehow in the direction of the red/blue thing. It's not what most of us come here for. The fact that you're a long-time Republican and said something bad about Slick Willie is good, but I wish we could just check that shiznit at the door entirely if you want my opinion. But having said that, don't take it TOO seriously...I don't. Just tossed my 2 cents in is all.