Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Button Box

did the smell in the fabric scraps bring back memories?sometimes smells take me back,sometimes the smell of the house you lived in will get into materials.sometimes if you wander through an old goodwill or thrift store somebody will have cleaned out an old closet of clothes forty years old and you will see old styles that bring back memories.the "Buttonbox" would make a good book title:).

know the ones that look like a desk, and then you can remove a piece from the top, and pull the sewing machine back thru the top when you want to sew? This very desk is sitting about six feet from where I am sitting in my bedroom right now. I have my home computer on it, and use it everyday usually. It has four drawers on each side. Her second machine, her Singer, also had a nice cabinet, but it looks more like a sofa table. On one end, there is a knob you pull, and the sewing machine sits in it's own little spot, and as you pull the knob down, the machine pulls out for easy removal. Then one side comes out, and two legs come down like on a card table. Then a piece comes out in order for you to sit your sewing machine when in use. This machine sits in my dining room today. It was in this one that "the button box" makes it's home.

I can appreciate the comments you made on the "smells" of things. Yes, the fabics that were in the drawers still smell of home. Also, when she died so suddenly, all my girls wanted was some of her housecoats. They claim the smell from them still bring her memory back so vividly. I think the brothers also have one. I still have a few of her sweaters, and one of her housecoats, and I cannot bring myself to give them away. As a matter of fact, when I am sick or feeling particularly low, I put on my mother's housecoat, and I feel wrapped in her arms. I just always believe "do what ever soothes you". Well, this soothes me!

Thanks for reading my story, and sorry I get a bit windy sometimes! :)

machine still held her pinking shears, and the last pair of scissors that she received as a retirement present from all her fellow nurses at the hospital when she retired! Yes, I remember sewing for our dolls, ... looking back now I can see how she was just passing time with us in her delightful kind of way!

And by the way, face it big brother, the only "action figure" you ever had were those plastic molded army men. YOU played with DOLLS! :rofl:

One last thing.......did mother not make the black and white cowboy shirt for you when you had school pictures made? Maybe fifth or sixth grade???? For some reason, I was thinking she did. I'll have to find the photo if you don't remember it. ILY, glad you liked the story! :)

...complete with fake pearl buttons.

Best I remember, the shirt was two tones of blue with the shoulder drape being the darker color. I topped that photo off with me Junior deputy badge, I did. I believe it was fourth grade.

I need that photo blown up sos I can put in on the wall next to RR and Dale, don't I ?

Johnboy

I was the lucky one of the four kids in our family as my Mom was able to stay home with me until I was 5 and went to school. She actually tried to teach me to sew when I was 4 but I was pretty hopeless at it so she let me play with the button box to keep me out from underfoot. I still remember that tin box with the beautiful woman on the top, she had wavey, blonde hair and a beautiful smile. I still remember thinking to myself 'Boy, is she ever pretty but not as pretty as Mom is'. It's funny the stuff you remember from your childhood.
Later, in my teens I took to learning cooking because I love good food and my Mom couldn't cook very well, the food was healthy enough but it didn't taste like anything. The Galloping Gourmet became my mentor for everything to do with food and later wine.;) By the time I was 16 I was doing most of the cooking at my Mom's request because the food tasted better and she was working full time again. I tried to teach her to cook once but just like my ineptitude for sewing so it was with Mom and cooking, she just couldn't catch on. To this day, Mom still asks me to cook whenever I come back for a visit.
Life is Funny,

Eric

you go to visit her and cook for her, take a photo of her button box and post it! If my mother could do anything better than her sewing, it was her cooking. She taught me this also as I grew up. I, too was lucky to have my mom at home until Lil Brother started first grade. When that made all of us gone during today, she went to nursing school and graduated. Her nursing career was an enjoyable one for her, and I was really proud of her for doing this! Not many people go back to school at that age! :) By the way, congrats on winning a prize from Kellyco!

n/t