Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Button Box

Sunny

Since the weather has turned colder, it makes me turn to things I need to do on the inside wanting to stay warm and comfortable. As I was looking at a list of thingsI needed to do, I noticed one on the list that I had put off for quite some time. It was to clean out the drawers of my mother

had a similar experience. I to remember my mother sewing. Seemed like everyone one did back then. My mothers sewing machine was an old singer with the weighted large pedal that once you got it moving it keep the needle moving. No electric motor on it. I used to like just playing with the pedal. It to must of made enough of and impression on me as I purchased one a few years ago at a yard sale just because it looked like hers. It had been converted to a motor but the sewing head is identical. My mother passed way pretty young so I cherish all the memories I can remember and appreciate your post jarring one more memory store back there in this head of mine. My wifes mom was a sewer also and made a lot of clothes for our kids. I bet my wife has similar memories. Her Mom lived along full life and only passed away about 4 years ago so I don't pry as it still upsets her. I can relate to that even 40 years later.

Thanks for the post.
Geo-CT

Sunny that is a neat tin,really wonderfull colours,your story reminds me of a coffee table in my livingroom,it is beutifuly crafted out of some exotic wood.It is kind of outdated design but there is a reason I keep it.For if someone was to clean underneath this mahogany type table they would see my older brothers signature and a year date he sighned.It was a project he made in junior high scchool.He only lived to age 47 and I would never be worried that it is out of style. :)

These are the things memories and life are made of. I can see sweet, little Ali mimicking the generations that went before her..... and I found your story simply beautiful !! :)

You are not going to believe this, but some where around here we have my Mother's button box full of buttons. The box is also metal, but it is a square metal box with a press on lid. While I never played with the buttons, I do remember going through the box and picking out some buttons for Mother to sew on a shirt that she would be making for me. When I was a boy, shirts would be made out of the cloth flour bags or sometimes feed bags. The flour bags and feed bags would come with different patterns on the cloth and were perfect for making shirts. They were some of the best shirts...better than store bought shirts.

It appears that Ali is following in your footsteps...you may end up making a few things for her. Linda, thanks for posting this story, it sure brought back some great memories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I remember the flour sacks with different patterns too! I am certain she made shirts for my brothers, too, but I just don't recall them. I do remember the dresses with ruffles though! She could make them look any way she wanted to, but that is where one of her many talents! Glad you liked the story! :) Someday, if you find your mother's button box, I wish you would post it! :)

is funny that way! I am glad I was raised in the times I lived, and enjoyed watching my children grow up. Today, though, with my grandchildren, I am really scared for them some times. But all I can tell my girls is to do the best that they can do, and know that's exactly what they did. I do not envy them raising children in this day and age! Thanks for reading and your kind comments! :)

if it is out of date to some, it's not to you and your heart. One of my brothers still has the coffee table my daddy made, and there are little teeth marks all around it from when we cut our teeth!! Like yours, it could be replaced, but have not much meaning! :)

years later, daddy bought her a Singer, and boy could she make it sing! We all have memories close to the same, I'm sure. When you lived during these times, we didn't know anything else. I can understand your wife getting upset. I still do too, as you must, after all, they were the only mothers we would ever know. I miss her like it was yesterday! :)

metal Tin also! Those little "junk" boxes kept little girls and boys entertained for years! The Singer is still in the family,although i doubt it will ever be used again. Thanks for memory lane!!

Our parents taught us how to repair things....not how to just go out and buy things!! :)

My father was similar... not with sewing of course, but with some things mechanical. But in spite of the criticism, I learned... and it was with love.

Fair winds

Mikie

know how to sew on buttons too! There are just some things people need to know how to do,........just because! :)

just as my dad did his guns. Back then, both things were items of necessity, and most every home had both. Today, it's only as a hobby if one chooses. Like Mikie said, it's a different generation! :)

And like many others have expressed it brought back some wonderful memories to me.With 3 rowdy boys my mother was kept busy just repairing our cloths! No way one of us would go out in public with a hole in our jeans.....mom patched them. Now days they are bought new for a unreal price with holes in them! We used to feel sorry for the kids that came to school with holes in their pants.How the world has changed.......Thanks for a wonderful story

the time too! The best thing aboout being the only girl was that I didn't have to wear hand me downs, but much to mother's horror, I would wear jeans and pants for a long long time. The only time she could get me in ruffles and lace was for church, and from what she told me, that was a fight! All the boys would make fun of me. I guess the person that most portrays the little girl I was growing up was Laura on Little House on the Prairie. I might have a dress on,..........if mother won the fight, (which she usually did), but if the boys started teasing me I'd beat the crap out of them or at least give it my best shot! Daddy let me get away with it because he told mother that ruffles would get in the way on hunting and fishing trips. Heck, I thought I WAS a boy until I was about thirteen years old. He once claimed that's when he lost one of his best fishing and hunting buddies in the whole world. That used to make me proud and sad at the same time! :)

I am willing to bet that there are a lot of button boxes out there and all have been played with at one time or another ....I know that both my brother and I have had a few afternoons at Mom's feet doing just as you have as she did her sewing ... Thank You Sunny for sharing and the reminder ...
Bill G.

Priceless Treasure! What a wonderful thing to be able to share it with your grandbabies! WTG Nana!

Oh, the button box and the sewing she did!

Yes, she did sew for us boys but (I'll just speak for my little ole' self) she told me that she abruptly quit sewing for "Johnny" because I got to where I was indignant and let it be known that her shirts were not up to par with the one's at West's Department Story!

Me and all my wisdom--probably all of 12years old! Even though the collars were a bit different than the going trend, I'd give anything to find of of them somewhere. Methinks I was sometimes an overbearing little fart barely tolerated by a mother's love!

But love us all, she did and in style! It is just a wonderful story and one that will find its place in our family history. Thank you so much for bringing it to light and for passing the tradition along.

I remember that she allowed us to cut up the scraps of cloth and make superman capes for our dolls (u-humm, I mean action figures) as long as we used only the scissors. The shears were for her alone so they wouldn't get dull. Well, I remember once that she must have felt sorry for us and our little rag-tag bunch of dolls with their makeshift clothing. She sat down at that machine, sized up a couple of your favorite dolls and made them look like Cinderella going to the ball! Do you remember that ????

She was so special as you know...and so are you! ILY <><

Johnboy