Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The busy days are behind us.

I sure would like to fish in that lake in that first picture. I have never been to this area in my entire life, only seen pictures or movies of it. Thanks for posting these photos...I loved seeing them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

thats going from east coast to west coast, down the west coast and them across the mid south thru Colorado. We did a lot of stopping for sure, and I spent 5 days at a buddies place, but we did a lot of looking at stuff while there, fact we explored Western Washington State up in Walloa Lake and a lot of running in eastern Oregon while there.

Now I had my wife driving also so with the 2 of us, we could cover a lot of miles if we choose to. Somedays we would do a hundred miles, some days none to speak of a lot to see in that area, and other days we would run 500 miles, 400 was comfortable for us with 2 driving. Yet some days one of us would drive that much.

Your right you could spend a lot of time in each state. We hit the highlights in the areas we were in. Like I said, we found out that those states out west, like your state are big so distance's are far at times. Here, I can drive from my house, to VT, NH, Maine, Mass, and RI in one day no problem......Thats hitting the lower part of each state, crossing Mass and RI. If I take the Corvette, add in NY, PA to the list and much more of each state... You can make good time on a bike also..... What slows me down is I like to travel back roads, off the beaten path a lot. I'll attach more pictures and show you what I like, excellent for a bike I might add

The Wolf was good size. Bigger than the coyote I just got here. I'd say the size of a big shepard. This one was grey/black in color and up near the main lodge in Yellowstone. In May we had the campsites to ourselves. By June, Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge Campground was crowded by there was room. That one is crowed because it has electrics, showers and is a good central location in Yellowstone....North of there, the sites are more wilderness like. At Fishing Bridge and a few others they would not allow tents or soft sided campers like popups because of the bears. Glacier was the same inside the park. The only time I saw it real crowed was on the 4th of July weekend and even then, we got in. I never called ahead for any sites, just took pot luck. ON the 4th of July we were in Colorado and there were alot of people but we had nice sites with electrics at mesa Verde at the Cliff Dwellings.
Nice up there in the hills... Some of the camgrounds offer cabins also. Weekdays you can get away almost going to anyone and getting in. Oregon had the most campgrounds and best prices. They were all cheap out west with Yellowstone being a little higher with the electrics.... If we were on the roads just running to cover miles we would stay in truck stops, or Flying J's or Lowes. They allow overnight parking. They also have showers if you need one and decent food in most.

Geo

like Old Faithful can go 225 feet and there is another one that goes even higher but not as often. I'll dig thru my pictures and show you some more of them.... Some the mineral springs there are really beautiful...Fact let me attach a picture on one here....These are all in Yellowstone...The pictures really don't do them any justice....

Geo

Re: If we were on the roads just running to cover miles we would stay in truck stops, or Flying J's or Lowes. They allow overnight parking. They also have showers if you need one and decent food in most. Are these places that just rent a room? We have motels down here, but I did not know that truck stops rented rooms and etc.

George, I will admit that your stories have over whelmed me...if I try to keep the trip within a thirty day time frame, I will miss seeing lots of things. I really would like to see the wild animals, especially wolves and bears...but at a good distance. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Does any of this area have gold? Is this the area that also has the hot mud which causes you to walk on the boards? How many days did you all spend in Yellowstone? Was the water shooting up into the air real loud to hear? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

all means, make Yellowstone one of your stops. I could go there for a month and be very happy right there. So much to see. More wildlife than I have seen anywhere and its all wild. Yellowstone is hard to explain. All kinds of color around the geysers and springs.
Northern Yellow and Mammoth I think had the most color in the rocks. I'd say hit Yellowstone before July because then the kids are out of school and they actually get traffic jams. Early June, you have it pretty much to yourself.

No rooms at the most of the truck stops, but they do have clean showers, and decent places to eat. Having said that, In Idaho, they did have plug in campsites off to the side for campers, with inside showers and the place was spotless. I think the Name of the place was Dad's. Very good food. I had my CB with me so I would ask the truck drivers about good places to eat. They take good care of their stomachs. Any of the welcome centers in the states hand out pamphlets about campgrounds, motels etc.... We stop in all those. Lot of good info.

Geo

All that water is being pushed up from deep down in the ground. Its hot...some will give you a bad burn, others are just warm. One of the brooks they let you swim in is like a bathtub. Its just fed from the volcano. The boardwalks are to keep you safe as you can break right thru some of it and get a bad burn. The mud pots are all over the place. Some make a lot of noise, and one that I liked, roars real loud, and then after a bit will spit out lots of mud. I guess from the heat below it is always heating water and pushing it up, Its really neat to see. There is the strong smell of sulfur in some areas. Some beautiful rivers, full of trout and a type of northern pelican . I have pictures of them somewhere also...They surprised me, I always thought they were a shore bird. They are rough on those trout.
The big geysers get pretty loud. We were in Yellowstone 5 days and were staying for 10 until the snow storm hit....If we could not move around then no point in being there. We wanted to hit the rest on the way back, but we ended up running to Utah and fell in love with that state also so we didn't get back north that trip....

Those board walks are all over the place where its dangerous. They have some of them that shoot up out of the edge of Yellowstone lake....really neat....

Geo

it was formed. Pretty informative....

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

http://www.yellowstonenationalpark.com/calderas.htm

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/mapslist.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera