Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The busy days are behind us.

George-CT

Figured I post a few pictures that were on the laptop.

#1 This is out at my son George & Swatie's home at the lake.

#2 is my grandson Devin and my son Andy keeping him busy so we can get dinner ready.

#3 is what happend to us in the first snow storm here.

#4 is it again the next day after a smaller one on top of it with some rain.sleet to compress it.

#5 is my daughter Heidi home on leave and my wife and I when we brought her home from the airport. Right now it looks like she will stay on that air base but will be getting out of the active duty Air Force and will be Civil Service with Boeing on the C-17's doing the same job and Reserve Air Force on weeks. Still in discussion mode but it seems to be the game plan at this time. If it goes, and she is pretty sure it will she will begin out processing at the end of March and be discharged on June 19. As you can see she layered up on the cloths, that SC weather has ruined her for the cold.

George-CT

Andy started riding at age 9. Devin seems to like that kind of stuff. Devin's Dad used to ride with me, but right now, just to much going on. Good little kid, listens well and very smart. He is only 4 years old, so he has a ways to go.

I'm thinking you like Heidi's plans, right? Is the snow about normal for this time of year? We are colder than usual, seems "global warming" has deserted us!:biggrin:

Maybe a little more.... But even so, it is no fun. :)

Nice family there too. Hope that all is well with you

Fair winds

Mikie

We never get snow down here...wonder how much more you folks will get this winter. It seems like only yesterday that Heidi had joined the military...how time flys by you. Thanks for sharing with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Boeing is making it hard for her to turn them down. Just have to wait and see. ON the snow, just depends on the year and what passes thru here. Right where we are is kind of a cold spot so we get a lot more than they get along the coastline. Fact they are pretty much snow free in CT right now except for a few piles. We on the other hand are not. Most of it got wet and froze with the cold temps last week. This week we are getting in the 20's a night but around 40 in daytime. Thats actually decent for us. The sun was out today and with no wind, I was out with my T-shirt on. To much sand and salt on the roads to take the bike out. Geo

own fault. I took it out of the quonset hut I keep it in but still keep it covered. It had been sitting so I wanted to charge the battery as all the electronics pull it down unless I pull off one cable. Well, I opened the hood, put the charger on and went in the house to do some work in the basement. I came out and there was 1 inch of snow on it. Not wanting to scratch it, I decided to leave it until it stopped and then clean it off. It is cleaned off now. I used to keep all 4 of them in the horse barn when the horses were at a friends indoor but they are here this winter so no way I would put it in there with all the dust they create and the mice in there. Your right, those are 92 sawtooth rims, original. Fun car to play with in the summer and decent on fuel, 28 mpg if you keep your foot out of it.

Geo

I think that you said that you rode across the country in the past. If this is correct, how long did it take you to reach the west coast? Kelley (Texas) :)

It sure isn't here in New England. It actually froze about a 2 weeks earlier this year. Usually around the 15 it will freeze solid on the ground here, but this year here it was Dec 2nd. Rain here right now from a coastal storm just off shore. We are on the warm side of it off the salt water. Might remove some of it. It does it great as snow, but when its frozen, it takes a lot longer. Do you gets get any influence from the salt water where you are or are you to far inland?

Mixed emotions on Heidi. I was hoping she would come back north once she got out. But she has found a home there and likes it. We can still travel for now so no problems plus 3 of my other 5 kids are here locally. I was hoping she would make it a 20 year career like my son George did and he is still in with 22 years in. He offered her some good deals but she wants to stay there in SC. Well, if I encourage that, she might end up in Iraq in a convoy detail. I have no problem with her going to preform her job and she has been on the ground there twice to get a plane out with crew to replace engines at night but lately they have been sending them to ride or drive trucks. To me that makes you just a target toget fired on. If your trained for that, well thats your job, but in her case, its not. so if I suggest to stay in, in away, I'm putting her in a bad situation, something I would not do. So I'm somewhat suggesting that this isn't a bad deal either, with more money. There are x factors in all of it for sure. I know Jane and I both miss her but also know we raised her to stand on her own two feet. Kind of a damed if you do, damed if you don't deal.

Geo

Yes the fun part of the snow wheres off pretty fast. Its not bad as snow, but frozen snow, its no fun at all. Hard on the horses, hard on us. We have those rubber slip on's with the hardened spikes in them. They work great. Jane and I have fell a few times so where them all the time now if any ice around.

We were glad to be with most of the family this year. Down side was some of the past year caught up with us, mostly me. You get to thinking what might of been and to be honest it did a number on me. But You try and put on your best face and get thru it. Keep marching so to speak. At my sons house we had made a special room for her and most of it was my project. I made the mistake of going in there. The little boy in the picture, Devin was her brother and he mentions her also but seems exceptive of it. He is doing better than I am. Cute little guy, and easy to be around. This was his first year to understand Santa clause. One excited little boy.

My son Andy and I were out today in his Bronco tearing up the woods. He has studs on his tires on that so we did pretty good out back. Pushed up a bunch of deer ahead of us. Hard for them to forage but somehow they manage. We have about90 more days of winter and then it takes a nice turn for the better.

George

were, are the Green Mountains in Vermont and White Mountains in NH. I type in about 4 forums so get them mixed up at times. Or was it when I was talking about out west.

When we went this last time, we choose the northern route after we hit Chicago. We took I-80 to Chicago. Not a real nice way to go but the fastest to get out of new england and west which was my intent. Just to much traffic. In Chicago, we turn north and jumped on I 90 and headed across Wisconsin and Minnesota. Both nice states also but I had been there so was looking for new scenery. From htere we stayed on I 90 and headed into South Dakota. To me, this trip began there. I'm not much for back tracking myself on roads. to many of them to have to drive the same ones. Normal stuff to see in SD on 90 was Mitchal Corn Palace, Wall Drug and then on to the Badlands. I really enjoyed the Badlands. Pretty much just what it says, but lots of fossils to see out in them, some dug and on show where found and others you can find on your own if you have the time and desire. Beautiful place to ride a bike. Good roads, beautiful country even though its barren. Far different from here. From there we headed into the Black hills of SD. One of my favorite spots.. Mt Rushmore is a must see and we enjoyed it both in the day and night time display. Lots of campgrounds there and horses also. Just before you get there there is a place to rent horses to go out on the trails. Jane and I went up the back of Mt Rushmore and saw the faces for the first time from horseback. Also a lot of gold mines to go in, caves of all sorts along with fossil diggings. Custer State Park is there also. Seems like each state has a Custer state park and each if good in its own right for scenery. We ran all around that area as the ponds there had never been hit with a detector I don't think. Very good water hunting so we always tried to have dinner or lunch by a lake or pond. From there we did Crazy horse, also a must see. Very interesting. Again, beautiful bike country. From there you are not far from Sturgis. ON the way there we spent time in Deadwood, SD Lot of history there and gold mines. I was really into the gold mines then as I had never been in them so went out of my way to see the larger ones.
Spearfish, Sturgis all beautiful bike riding places. Stunning would be the word. If you hit it in August, there will be 500,000 other bike s so I would avoid it then as its Sturgis bike week.

Why don''t I stop here as we cross into Wyoming and pick that up in next write up so this don't get to long or boring. Let me say, Wyoming has lots to see and do. I could do a entire summer there and not be bored.

George-CT

I apologize for being a pest, but this is interesting to hear about. Also, when you have time, would you write part two of your cross country trip? George, I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me about this trip...I will owe you one. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It was a fun time in our travels. We didn't have any set plans. We found that as we met people and they would say, hey you have to go see this or that, well, we did. We had kind of a route that I picked, but again, I only had the states of New England to compare it to in driving state to state or up and down the east coast. Western states are far bigger as you well know. CT I can cross in 2 hours east to west, 1 and a half north to south... All you owe is to have a good time out on the roads yourself or with your wife. We started out on in the beginning of may and kind of were dragging our feet a little at first as most of the parks out west don't open until May 15 and even then depending on snow cover and how soon they get the roads open. Places like glacier, much later in the year. Detecting in May in the lakes in SD in May, I needed my insulated waders on and even then, your legs would go numb after a few hours. I caught plenty of fish while traveling also. Very glad I took a small pole along, especially in yellowStone.

I know your planning a trip north from Texas. Have you decided on a route yet? Not sure what you like, but I assume your like me, everything you have not seen. I really enjoyed Mesa Verde in Colorado, and Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon in Utah. Easy drive for you and beautiful country for a bike or car. Zion and Bryce also have horses you can ride for 1 hr, 1/2 day or all day. Beautiful country. Right near Mesa Verde is Durango that has a nice steam train ride in some beautiful country. Nevada is interesting and desolate which I like and lots of old mines to explore. A lot depends on the time you go. Now your more used to heat than I would ever be, but we left Utah and Nevada for Mesa Verde only because it was to hot. It was 110 some days there. So we headed for anything that was at 10,000 feet elevation or better, hello Colorado and Mesa verde is at 10,000....nice and cool even in July. Same with Wyoming and Montanna..... Also Washington State. awesome state with the most waterfalls of any state and beautiful mountains. If you get the chance go to Mt Saint Helens on the bike, What a beautiful ride up there and the information center is worth the trip..... Fact, I have a buddy who lives close by there if you need a place to stay and he is a fellow rider also.... he will be here in 2 weeks. Life long friend of mine and he would probably join up with you for a ride. He has the Intruder 1500 road bike and 2 others.....

George

I went in the gold mines in a lot of places but the only place I found it on my own was in Oregon. They rest of it was pretty much organized panning or digging. I have my little bit of gold here, I'll have to take a picture of it. I really enjoyed meeting this guy in Nevada who adopted me somewhat and we went quading all over the place after I fixed his quad for him. We went to lots of old mines there in the town of Ely, Nevada. Its on Alt US 50...lonelyest road in USA they say. it is that....but I really liked it as did my wife.
We met a few bikers there, and unfortunately for them is was 110 that day also. So the heat off the roads with the wind, did not help at all and they had leathers on still. They were wilted to say the least. We invited them i the camper for lunch, water, more grog with the AC until the cooled down. We were out in these old acient lake beds actually close to Area 51. We ended up with choppers flying over us a few times as we wandered off road. They watched us then left... I have a bager scull I'll have to take a picture of and show you. I though that was a great find out on the guad by a mind shaft that went straight down for about 50 feet. If that guy had not told me, you would have never know it was there, just some brush around it and straight down. there was and old metal bucket and pully setup still there in the brush....

I am still in the early stages of my dream trip, still doing day trips...I hope to soon venture out to over night trips. The verdict is still out as to whether or not my legs would hold up to all day riding, day after day. At the present time I have had two incidents of low sugar blood count where I did not recognise what was happening...one of the times it became somewhat dangerous to me. However, I now carry a coke in the saddle bags and pay more attention. I have had one incident where my legs became swollen and it was one miserable and painful 100 mile trip back home. This diabetic disease has damaged the nerves in my legs and created circulation problems...this is why I am not to ride a horse because you use your legs to communicate with the horse. The constant jolts and movement in the saddle creates a situation where the legs swell, you lose feeling, and it becomes very painful. When you dismount, you have to be careful that you do not fall from lack of feeling in your legs and feet. You do not have this type of movement when riding the motorcycle as per se.

What I would like to do is ride through Arkansas and see Sunny and Arkie John, then North to possibly see Cierlast and Royal, then west into Canada to see Mike and Alice, and then see Wayne and Carol. Coming back, I would like to see Washington State, Utah, Montana, and North and South Dakota and etc. I discussed all of this with my doctor on my last visit and he offered no comments at all...I might as well as been talking to the wall. I see him in a few days and as usual, he will not be happy with me over what transpired the other day, but I am use to being on someone's bad list for the mischief that I seem to naturally get into from time to time. I will make my final decision on how I feel and if I am confident that I can safely do the trip...not based on the doctor telling me what to do, unless he has some definite information as to why I should not do it. As far as I am concerned, it is his job to fix me, not drive me. I have always been very independent and head strong. This is a dream that I have and as it stands now, I really do not see any reason why I can not proceed with the trip.

Say, it is getting late and I better call it for the day...it has been a long day! George, thanks for posting the information and hope that you will post some more when you have some free time. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Leaving South Dakota, but still on I 90 headed west we entered Wyoming. Got to say, I was looking forward to this state and it did not let me down at all. Fact it was far more than I expected. I'd say if you get up north, this one is a must see. A little bit of everything here.
We stopped in Gillette and Sheridian One had a big rodeo going on and we enjoyed that. Just above Sheridian, we turned on ro RT 14 and took the lower route rather than the upper. From there we moved on to the Big Horn National Forest. Somewhere in this area is a Wildhorse area and we did manage to see 7 of them running across the open spaces. That was a treat for Jane and I. Still on RT 14 we headed to Cody. That was of real interest to me, as it has one of the best collection of guys you will find anywhere at the Bufflao Museum Center. As luck would have it we got there the day that they opened the new Indian center downstairs and if we purchased tickets that day, the next day we could come back for free and do it all over. We were all over that, Did I mention the word FREE....Free or paying, it was well worth the time spent in both places. They also had alive birds of prey that you could get right up close and personal with. Eagles, all kinds of them with a legal handler and tons of information. We really enjoyed that entire place. All kinds of stuff on display like stage coaches, stuff from Annie Oakley and much much more of the big names I heard about as a boy.

From Buffalo Bills, we headed to Yellowstone National Park. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it exceeded it many times over.
We stayed at Fishing Bridge Campground right in the park but really only slept there. We were up early and back late everyday. There were two loops you could take from Fishing Bridge, both were 100 mile loops. There is so much to see on those loops that it is hard to makke it the 100 miles a day. You are inside a giant volcano that blew up long ago but is still very active. There are all kinds of hiking trails to go on to see mud pots, bubbling springs, giesiers, all kinds of things we never saw or expected. They have wooded boardwalks over most of this stuff so you don't get burned. In among all this is all kinds of wildlife like buffalo, Elk, deer, Wolves, I only saw one wolf but it really was beautiful and running at a slow gate, and bear and plenty of small game also. There are all kinds of waterfalls and scenic overlooks, great trout streams you can fish in with flyrod etc. I was in heaven there as was my wife also. The next loop takes you further north right up on the Montana border. Many move to campgrounds up that way in Mammonth.
Once again, its all beautiful. The surprise for us, it was now June 9, we woke up the next morning preparing to go north and into Montanna but what a surprise. 6 inchs of new snow and more on the way. Decisions decisions. We decided after talking to a few other folks that there was more snow north of us and one fella coming up from Jackson Hole, told us nothing down that way, so we tossed a coin and off to Jackson Hole we headed. What a beautiful ride....We saw 8 moose in a meadow all bed down but not far off the road, 4 in one group, 5 in the other.... Beautiful mountain streams and waterfalls all along here. Plenty of stops to make. it would be awesome on a bike, car, covered wagon or any other way. About mid afternoon we arrived at the Grand Tetons. Absolutely beautiful Kelly. That area has much to see and you could spend a lot of time there. They have whats left of a glacier on the back side and just really beautiful scenery. Jackson Hole is just beyond it and worth a stop. I personally liked the Big Elk Refuge right in Jackson and the Welcome center there. If you ride around that area, the homes are really beautiful and big bucks. Mostly well to do movie stars or other people of means. Some really beautiful horse ranches there and dude ranches also. These are working ranches but they will let you ride with them. Well, at this point I had to start looking the calender as I was supposed to meet up with friends in Oregon and Washington State and we had really been dragging our feet seeing things that others told us about that were not on our travel plans. Our travel plans kinda went this way. If your eyes spring open in the morning, TRAVEL....We are easy to please. At this point we looked at the map and decided we should cross over into Idaho on RT 28. BEAUTIFUL DRIVE.

I wanted to mention...I'm not sure of your age, but if your 62 or older, do get the FREE, dam I love that word, Golden Age Passport for A FREE Lifetime Admission Permit. Where there are fee's they reduce them by 50 percent or better in campgrounds, caves, Mt Saint Helen's etc. The first National park you come to they will issue it to you with proof of age. Saves a lot of money and all the National Parks are really beautiful.

You will see lots of bike riders in these areas. Many have trailers on the bikes, most tent camp weather permitting. Lots of couples just enjoying the open road. Many, carry their bikes in trailers, some open, some closed and just take them out when they are in areas they like. Makes it easier for the older ones not wanting all the time on the bike, easier to travel in bad weather and you can bring more of your stuff. Thats my problem, I have lots of stuff I like to bring, like GPS, Fishing Gear, Detectors, Camera gear, tripods, Laptop, ham radio etc.

This portion of the trip was across Northern Wyoming and down the western side... I enjoyed seeing antelope, pronghorns, mountain sheep with the big curley horns, parrie dogs, non of this is back easy so it was a thrill for us....

Well, thats Wyoming on that trip...... Will continue on tomorrow........

George-CT

All these are from Wyoming of different things I mentioned.....except the second one, thats the road in the badlands....

the first is the Grand Tetons...

buffalo in Yellowstone

Geyser in Yellowstone

and a waterfall in a canyon in Yellowstone

to see everything. I was figuring around thirty days for my trip, but you could easily spend several weeks right in these two or three states, and still not see everything. I bet it would be great living in that area.

How big did that wolf look to be? Were the bears Grizzly Bears? Were the camping areas real crowded with people? I need to go back and read this again, I kept reading faster and faster trying to get to the next part...very exciting to read. George, thanks for posting this story and I hope that you will have time to post another one soon! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)