Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Birthday Fish Part 2

Sunny

As I was saying, I got my second rod all ready to go, and as I was about to cast it out, the first pole I threw in the water started moving. Something was already that line, and I knew it had to big pretty good size in order to pull on the rod the way it was! I threw the second rod down in the boat and picked up the one with the fish. At first, I thought my minnow must have wrapped itself around a log underwater, or something like that, as I had a lot of trouble reeling in my line, and man was it bending!

And then there was the thought that it really WAS a fish, but how many times have you thought you had a monster on the line, then when you got it to the boat, it was just an average fish? I have done that a million times, but I still like a good fight.

A good fight is what I got with this bad boy! I would start reeling in, then the drag would just start making that high pitch noise it does when it is not set right. Obviously, mine was not set correctly, plus it was one of the older rod and reels that I owned.

I know it didn

I used to build custom fishing rods. Some for company tournaments here to give out as first prize for largest fish. It was fun but moved on.

I have caught thousands of bass but only one bigger than that one and it was a thrill. I too have it mounted. It was 221/4 inches and 6lb 2 oz. About ten years later I got a smallmouth the same length but never weighed it or had it mounted. I was sorry though. What a matched set. A smallmouth that size was a true monster for Michigan.

When I got my fish mounted it was only 2.50 and inch. Much more than that now days I am sure.

One thing to remember for next time, if you grab a bass, small mouth or large mouth, by the lower lip and lift it our of the water that way it will not move a muscle It seems to paralyze them. Once you release them in the boat they will go nuts though but lifting them out of the water by the line is a good way to lose a beautiful fish.

Old Dumbass me once grabbed a dang northern pike the same way and I was pulling teeth out of my thumb days later. That is no lie. It got festered and when I squeezed it teeth popped out.

I think about that occasionally and still wonder what the heck I was thinking about!!

Your birthday bass is one you will never forget!!

bass fish alot. I like catching them, but I'd rather eat crappie! The only reason I didn't try to get him by his lower lip, is because of this dang arthritis i have in my hands. I always keep two pair of large gripper pliers with me for this very reason, but of course they were still in my tackle box.

Do you still have your fish mounted? I would like to see it if you could take a photo!

I caught a few nice crappie, too, but only took this one photo to show their size. If I had caught eight to ten of them, I would have kept them, but I only caught three, on different days, and turned them back. Maybe next time!

[attachment 22901 crappie-one.jpg]

UM.........now what did you say about me and my minners? awhile back when you were making fun of me???? :lol:

Never tried bass fishing.. Actually, I have been an indifferent fisherman all my life. Except when it comes to spearfishing. That I did and enjoyed. I shot one ling cod, once, that was so large..... wait a minute, I feel another tale coming on. :)

Well done

Sunny skies, fair winds

M

when I get home sunday and post it.

Those are nice crappie. They are great eating in the winter up here but the flesh seems to soften up as the water warms up. Maybe it is just in our head but there is no fish I will not eat. Heck I have eaten suckers in a pinch and there are a billion bones in them.

it duzn't matter if sum one has caught one bigger, to catch one like that on light tackle and brim hooks is a feat in it self. and why did you torture her and hurt her dignity by putting a seat cushion over her? lol, sunny--------like yah fishing mobile

but, Sunny, dear.............male fish in arkinsaw do not get that big, this was a female sow and a good one to boot

so remember

females are a her

males are a he

juadlatt

loved the fishing expedition mouthy woman

know that, Butchie Boy! I put my boat cushion on top of "her" and held it down with my left foot, while I kept the line tight with my left hand, and then could still just barely reach my dipping net! Does this make sense??????

You been crappie fishing yet??? People have been telling me they have been tearing it up at Ouachita and Bull Shoals! :)

I know all you guys that live around the oceans catch some really big big fish. Mine was okay for being a bass, plus I had fun! You know it's funny, I go to Florida most every summer, and I have never had the urge to go deep sea fishing. I think I like to use a bobber too much, cause that's what starts the adrenalin flowing! :) Glad ya liked the story, now I am awaiting the one YOU mentioned! :)