Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Bear.......part four...................

Wayne in BC

There he stood! A big yellowish a-hole, 20 ft from the horse corral, looking kind of unsure about the ruckus those nags were making. He turned his head toward us for a moment, then obviously dismissing the three two legged fools, "whuffed" at the horses again and just stood there!

Two things were instantly clear at that moment, one....he was standing between us and the ponies and we could not fire and, two.....he needed to be shot for another good reason, that being the "paint", the nice big blotch of bright red on his flank! That was why he had been so near to us on the trail. His antagonist also maybe, we never saw the black one again to know if it was also "marked".

I thought i had been po-ed enough already but this was too bloody much!!! Now i need to explain that in Alberta there are two National parks that nearly everyone has heard of. The best known is probably "Banff National Park", the other "Jasper National Park". They abut one another, running on a north/south axis for several hundred miles along the spine of the Rocky mountains. We were only 20 miles away from the north east border of Banff Park, with the south east border of Jasper park being maybe 40 miles northwest of us.
The park rangers had to remove "problem" bears from the parks, those that had become "garbage bears" with little respect for humans and thus a danger to tourists, who were in my opinion, often less valuable than the bears:ranting:

The procedure for ridding the Parks of these bears was (and still is) to livetrap and tranquilize them, then load them in a sling under a helicopter and drop them off outside the park. Though there has never been a shortage of bears, though the Parks staff could not kill them without a media circus and much protesting! Their solution of "relocation" seems wonderful to the public but the Rangers and biologists know very well that there are only two possible results from this approach.
The first being that in a week or three the bears will be back home and in trouble again because they are hooked on the easy life. And number two, a not talked about but in their eyes, better solution ...... that the hunters, guides, and folks frequenting more remote campsites will shoot them illegally, thus "solving" the problem for government parks staff. To heck with the fact that some non tourists could be in danger!

When these bears are captured they are marked with paint and usually relocated within the park, if they come back, and they nearly always do, they are captured and painted with a different color then banished to an area outside of the park, D'oh! This was one such bear that plagued us, some yellow and orange paint was faintly visible on him also! He did not present much actual danger to us, they are seldom inclined to attack. They do present danger to idiots and their unfortunate children who try to handfeed them, accidental bites or swats from a bear who does not understand "all gone"! He did however represent much trouble and expensive damage, as well as risk of injury due to spooked horses. We had to shoot him but needed to get into a position where we did not risk hitting a horse.

Sorry no drama here folks, the bear began walking slowely parallel to us, searching out the smell of our meager dinner. He was totally accustomed to walking among people and raiding their food. We stood quietly until he was clear of the stock then finished the job in a couple seconds of "earsplittenboomincrashin":biggrin:

The problem then was to get a couple of horses carefully upwind of him, hook on the long ropes and drag him a half mile, still upwind to keep the nags from smelling him and dump the garbage down into a canyon so that the "fish cops" were not forced to bust us for illegally shooting a bear! Arrgghhh!!!!! It was not the first time this happened to us, or to other guides and hunters, nor was it to be the last......"three monkeys" ya know?

No way one of us would waste a day going to town for food, time was too short. Thus my opening statement about hard work and poor grub for a couple more days. Fortunately two days later with us guys real "meat hungry" and a days work to do yet, a yearling deer mysteriously expired near my camp and famine became feast:biggrin:

I know this story took a while, but the arthritis sometimes makes typing slow. Best to all:beers:
Wayne

n/t

first they get them out of the park,but the expense of transporting them by helicopter creates budget problems,eliminating the bear themselves involves work,disposing of carcass etc.why not transport them outside the parks,have hunters illegally kill them,and fine the hunters.hey,two birds with one stone:),hey,isn't that just like goverment,danged if you do,danged if you don't.

And that means the blacks, being the scavengers they are, will soon be up and causing us our usual grief. However, a 30.06 should solve the problem if they get too persistent. I will try to scare them off first [and that has always worked so far], but.......... just in case!!!

great story, as always

Fair winds

M

a real fun thing is a sheet of galvanised tin with honey poured on it and an extension cord from the 110.....plug her in when blackie shows up and watch the fun :rofl:
220 if you want the problem to stop permanently:biggrin:

housewife with a cornbroom can terrify any old blackbear:biggrin:, they are cowards!
It is a rare one that is a real problem, now if we could teach them to like the taste of "greenies":lol:

I did not know about the "paint & relocate" program before now. I would think that these bears would be good to sell or give to a zoo somewhere rather then turning them loose in some remote area where someone could get hurt or killed.

Lately, I have noticed a big Lab dog one street over from us that has a big red paint mark on him. I doubt if the government painted the red spot on that dog, more than likely some kid shot it with a paint gun. Next time I see that dog, it will remind me of your story.

Wayne, thanks for posting this story, enjoyable and educational! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Alice can take the pictures while you hold them at bay! I think that the Forum would love a few "action" pictures. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Who needs Outdoor Life, anyway???

You bring those woods right into my living room. Thanks so much for takin' the time to do it right! <><

aj

read this story in it's entirety! Wonderful Wayner!! I printed it off and read it all! I would love to have gone on a guided hunt with you when you did this, but I don't think for bear! They are beautiful creatures, but pretty scarey! They make nice rugs, though!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story, and there must be more where this came from. :)

and appreciated, specially from talented writers like you and the folks here! The forum can be therapeutic but we all need a break sometimes.:throw::biggrin:

with problem bear.

You have lived every boys dream. Thanks for posting the story and we sure don't mind a long story or a four part story. Frankly I prefer them long :D

I've heard of people feeding bears like that in Yellowstone NP and getting hurt real bad. Sounds like you did the park service a favor! Great story Wayne, thanks for taking me along!

Dave