Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Battle at Bandera Pass in South Texas...............

it is so very different from my Sony that I loved. I MUST keep trying though, but it is very complicated. I will just keep trying until I figure it out though! :biggrin:

I do not know where my head was today, but I finally figured out that I could have stopped somewhere and bought two AA batteries...I seem to have a one track mind here lately.

That was indeed a very interesting old town and I want to go back there as soon as possible. There were some interesting old buildings on the main street, but most appeared to be vacant and in poor condition. The old park was along the river and the river had a dam...bet there would be some good fishing there as well as some old coins. This old town would be perfect for metal detecting, but I suspect you would have to befriend the local folks to find the good spots to hunt. I was disappointed in that a search using Google did not give much information. This town was about an hour and a half ride from my home. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

....they are getting older now,my Dad does not garden much,he is a little depressed.They have the house up for sale.Life always changes I guess,look forward to seeing more posts.See you. Orlando

It was easy to use and took great pictures...well, not very good bug pictures, but all the other pictures were great. The only good bug pictures that I ever took were of damaged bugs...smashed or killed with bug spray.

I really do not want a complicated camera, only want one simple to use and one that takes good pictures. I lack the mental patience to spend the time to learn about all the bells and whistles, only interested in using the camera as a tool, not as a hobby. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

old cotton towns that are decaying and the old town parts are in bad shape,and lots of interesting old architecture.hope you get back to center point.

After hearing about the rich lead mines of southeast Missouri Territory (at that time called Upper Louisiana) Moses Austin, a wealthy, ambitious businessman, set out from Virginia in 1796 to investigate them. In 1797 Austin stated about the mine, "Without doubt, Mine Au Breton is richer than any in the known world." Austin received a grant for 7, 153 arpents of land & transformed lead mining & smelting into Missouri's first major industry. He sank the first mine shaft in Missouri & built the first reverbatory furnace west of the Mississippi River. As a condition of Austin's grant Austin provided many improvements for this area. He & his 40 to 50 slaves & employees built bridges, roads, a store, a blacksmith shop, a flour mill, a saw mill, a shot tower, and turned out the first sheet lead & cannonballs made in Missouri. In 1798 he moved his wife & family here where they resided in beautiful Durham Hall which Austin built & named after his birthplace in Durham, Connecticut. Austin also had a home in Ste. Genevieve.

The Osage Indians began to harass Mine Au Breton as early as 1799 and raided the village several times. In 1802 thirty Indians attacked the village and Durham Hall with intentions of killing the Americans and plundering Austin's home and store. The French greatly resented Austin and gave no assistance to him in the battle. The attack on the mining settlement resulted in one person killed and one woman kidnaped.

DURHAM HALL - was built in 1798. Moses Austin named it after his birthplace Durham, Connecticut. This beautiful mansion burned down in 1871 in a fire that destroyed much of Potosi.

In 1807 the village of Mine Au Breton had about 40 houses. From the time of the discovery of lead a continuous settlement has existed here.

Washington County was organized 21 August 1813. The influential Moses Austin donated 40 acres of land on the north side of Breton Creek for establishment of a county seat. John Rice Jones donated 10 acres. Lots and a public square were laid out and a new town evolved around Durham Hall. The town was named "Potosi" in honor of a silver mining town in Bolivia. Potosi acquired a post-office & since the distillation of whiskey from rye and corn was a large industry the town eventually accommodated two distilleries. In 1814-15 the first courthouse was constructed & in 1815 a one room 13x13 ft. hewed log jail was built near the public square. For all of his improvements of the area & his donation of the land for the county seat Moses Austin is credited with being the founding father of Potosi. Mine Au Breton on the south side of the creek & Potosi on the north side consolidated in 1826 under the sole name of "Potosi". The name "Potosi" comes from a south American Indian word which means "place of much noise."

Moses Austin is not only credited with being the founding father of Potosi but also "The Grandfather of Texas." In 1821 Moses Austin traveled to San Antonio where he received the first American grant for a colony in Texas. Upon his return he was exposed to severe hardships & became ill. He died 10 June 1821 in St. Francois County & was originally buried at Hazel Run. In 1828 his body was disintered & reburied in the Potosi City Cemetery.

After Moses' death his son Stephen took over the project of moving 300 families from Potosi to Texas thereby making Stephen "The Father of Texas." Austin, the capitol of Texas, is named for Stephen Austin.

At right is Moses Austins tomb in Potosi City Cemetery (Photographed: October, 1998.) The cracks on the tomb were made by Texans in 1938 when they wanted to move the body of Moses Austin to Texas. They sent an undertaker & a hearse to Potosi. The undertaker was discovered chipping away at the tomb thinking the body was just inside (actually it is down in the ground). The Marshall was called, the town aroused, & the Texan sent packing! A few weeks later the Governor sent the Secretary of the State of Texas to Potosi with a public apology for the incident. Potosians like to brag that we are the only town that ever took on the state of Texas & won!!!!!!

n/t

[attachment 79954 centerpoint.jpg]

Looks like a town that a person just drives through on the expressway. Is this the right Center Point?

The local history comment struck a cord with me. Honest Abe practiced law in our town and the nearby towns, as well as the Lincoln, Douglas debate and other famous speaking places. I'll have to get the camera out when the snow melts.

Great story Fred.

I did not know about the lead mine or that he was buried there. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

this was a gift! I love the camera, just don't have the time or maybe the brains to figure it all out. I will keep trying though! :)

that is what you told me. Were you telling a windy to us?? You can not expect to take a good camera out occasionally and take good pictures.

Just use it on full auto and snap away. Nobody is critiquing anybodies photos here anyway!!

since Christmas. I have taken a lot of photos with it, just not much that you all would be interested in. I will post some soon. Are you back in Roscommon yet?????? You seem a bit grumpy towards me, and usually you are more relaxed in Roscommon!!!! :cheekkiss:

got the camera you just got last year for Christmas. She tired it for a few months and was getting pretty frustrated with it. It just does to much stuff. I to, like Royal suggested to just run it in auto mode, but she wanted it for all that it could do. So, she signed up for a photography class at UCONN and the teacher there knew the camera well. She does very well with it now, but it took a night class to learn it all. Do they have that around your area? Might be worth your time, or even putting an ad in the local paper for someone else with one who is into that particular camera to show you the in's and outs of it. My son had the 50 model before the 80 model and he said that was a little easier to get comfortable with. Might even be a few photography people in your area that know that one as its pretty popular that would teach you. I don't know about you, but I'm not much for reading how to do it. I do better with hands on. Just show me, let me do it a few times and I'm good to go. Depending up who writes the docs, it can be frustrating. The auto mode in that is pretty nice. Fact most of the cameras in auto mode do a good job, even the cheap ones. How about the dealer it came from. Often they offer classes on them also. Camera One here, locally does that with all its cameras. A lot of those classes are fun. I did one and the guy would only let us take pictures in black and white. NO color , he said that we would learn lighting better to get dept and texture that way. If felt any one could take a decent color picture. I guess he was trying to get us all to be Ansel Adams. I have few of his b & w books...He was really good for sure. Ok, enough of this, I was just picking thru my brain here. As you can see, the shelves are pretty empty.

Later Geo-CT

camera Scott bought for me was through some company on the internet. I have found several people to TELL me it is a great camera, and I can work it in auto mode, and it does fine. It just seems like such a waste to have all the other stuff and not know how to use it. That's a good idea, I may run an ad in the paper for someone around here. My brother, Arkie, could probably teach me a lot about it, it's just getting him here when he has the time. I have not seen any photography classes offered here where I live, but could probably find one in Little Rock which is about 20 miles away. Generally, I don't mind reading the User's Guides, but if they use jargon that I don't know in their instructions, then I get a bit aggravated! Full Auto Mode will work fine for the time being, but like I said, I would like to be able to use it to it's full advantage. Will post some as time goes on. I have taken over 200 photos with it already, and they have all turned out great! Thanks, George. I appreciate your input a lot! :)