Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Battle at Bandera Pass in South Texas...............

Kelley (Texas)

In the recent past, I posted a story about Bandera Pass in South Texas. Today was a beautiful day so I decided to ride the bike back there and take a few pictures. Folks, I must have a curse on me in regards to taking pictures....I just took a few pictures and the rechargeable batteries went dead. Thank goodness, I did get two good pictures before the camera stopped working.

This is the picture of Bandera Pass as I approached it riding northward on the highway.
[attachment 79873 BanderaPass2-2-08.jpg]

This is the historical marker located at Bandera Pass.
[attachment 79874 BanderaPassMarker2-2-08.jpg]

It appears that the land on both sides of Bandera Pass is private ownership...fenced off to keep folks off the land. As I passed through Bandera Pass, I looked to the west and thought that I possibly saw the area where the Indian Chief could have been buried after that famous battle.

A short distance north of Bandera Pass, I turned off on a Farm to Market Road and headed east towards home. I passed through a small town by the name of Center Point...this was indeed a very old town off the beaten path. I wanted to kick myself for not having good batteries in the camera. There were many old building in the downtown area and there was a large cemetery as you entered the town. I noticed a large park located on the river as I passed through this small, interesting town. I need to come back with a metal detector and look for some old coins in that old park. I did a Google search when I arrived home and found out that Center Point was established around 1850 and the present population was around 1,000 people.

Below is the story of the Battle at Bandera Pass. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Battle of Bandera Pass

Different accounts do not agree concerning the date of this engagement. According to one account, it was fought in the spring of 1841, while others place the date in 1843. Nevertheless, the story will be related at this time.

Soon after the big raid of the Comanches on Victoria and Linnville, President Houston felt a stronger need for frontier protection. So he appointed Capt. John C. Hays to recruit a company of rangers. Many noted Indian fighters saw service in Capt. John Hays

It sure wasn't a good day for the Comanches. Sure got to be a lot of shell casings around there from that fight. Nice pictures also.
Those roads don't look right with out 3 foot of snow piled up on the sides... Sure looks like nice riding weather there. Your in the right spot for winter riding for sure. I'm not so sure about summer there. Those roads have to push up some serious heat. We get very few days in the 90's here let along 100. I know my daughter and son were saying above a certain temp and they did not take them out in the blacktop even in boot camp after I guess they lost a few from heat stroke. Good stuff Fred. That little town sounds interesting also. I hear ya on the batteries. I always carry extra ones from my GPS and cameras. My son is like yours, its rechargeable in the camera so I make sure its fully charged. I got short a couple of times that way.

Thanks for post. Geo

n/t

very happy to be able to ride a motorcycle through that historic countryside and enjoy some warmth to boot!
Thank you for the cool story:clap::clap:
Wayne

And have studied the local history here for many years.I imagine if I lived in your part of the world-where so much history has happened - I would be in hog heaven! The little town I live nears local claim to fame is that it was founded by and the burial place of Moses Austin - the father of Steven Austin. He is refered to here as the "Grandfather of Texas" Thanks for a interesting post

that is linked to the areas we live and most we never hear about. I would have never guessed that there had been an indian there let alone a battle!!

The first thing I do when I get a new camera is buy a spare battery and make sure It is always charged up. So much to share and it always takes batteries

not too far from your home...where the lake is located? You live in a beautiful area...more excitement too because you have the bears, moose too! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I need to try to take some bug pictures again when the bugs appear this spring...sooner or later I will get a good picture. I have yet to get a bug picture anywhere near as good as the ones that you have posted. The key seems to be finding out how to make them stay still long enough for the picture to be taken. I also think that my camera is not a very good one. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I did not know that Moses Austin was buried near where you live...interesting. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Everyone has local history near their homes, but are not aware of it until they do some research or read about it in the local paper. What is sad is that so much of the local areas are now being developed...houses and shopping centers where I use to find arrowheads. There are too many people and I feel that I am being squeezed from all directions. I was disappointed today when I took the picture of the marker at Bandera Pass...there were beer cans and trash around the area. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

that You, Royal, George and a few others have posted. You have posted some fantastic pictures of the boats and buildings up there where you live...I hope to eventually to be able to do the same thing down here in South Texas in posting about the local history. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I bet there are lots of interesting history stories up there where you live. I still remember the salt mine story...really enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It will not be long now and you folks will be hitting the road on those bikes.

George, I saw a beautiful motorcycle today...it was an "Indian" brand bike. I do not remember the model or year, only that he had restored it...I pulled into a gas station to get gas as he was getting ready to leave and only talked with him for a minute or two. It was a full size bike and for some reason I keep thinking he called it a Chief. The front fender had a lot of metal and looked like an old style bike. Like I said, it was a beautiful motorcycle. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It might have been growing at your Folk's home...not sure. Thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)