Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Artful Dodger

Arkie John

Life was grand in Saline County back in late 1967. I drove a nice Bonneville convertible, had a little money in my pocket, newly married for about 8 months...life was just grand.

I avoided the draft by gettin' married (that, of course, was just a little bi-product to being married donchaknow) and I had out-smarted Uncle Sam. I was pretty smug about it, on my way to being a carpenter just like Daddy.

Ever get the feeling that things are just TOO good to be true? Well...they were. The man on the six-O'Clock news told us one day that the draft was reaching farther than ever before. They were needin' anyone that could walk. For that reason, it was decided by the powers that be to no longer allow bein' married to be a reason for not servin' your country. How could this be? How could Uncle change horses in the middle of the stream.. After all, I-- I had made the commitment already. I just let it go and decided in the wisdom of a 19 year-old, that the draft would pick married boys last. So wrong.

One day I received notice in the mail that I was to report for a physical. Oh buddy! It was gettin' just too close for comfort. I had no choice. So on the appointed day, I got on a bus from the post office in Benton and rode the 30 miles to Little Rock.

There I saw hundreds of wide-eyed boys, not knowin' anything more than I knew about the process. It was in January. We were all stripped down to nothin and the doctor walked in, in that concrete block room, with the cold concrete floor. "Well, from the looks of you-all, it looks like I got me a bunch of LADIES here! We could argue seein' as how my testicles had ascended an hour earlier.

Well, I took the physical, as did all the others. Like I said if you could walk you passed. I passed. I knew I was in trouble. I was not the John Wayne type. But the 6-o'clock war was getting closer. Those Army idiots were grinnin' and barkin' orders. I swear, their knuckles dragged the ground.

I looked around and saw a Navy recruiting office along side a National Guard office. I went to the Guard and they laughed. Well, I thought I'd try anyway. I KNEW I wasn't the son of a senator but I had to try. Things were not goin' my way.

As I departed the National Guard office, I heard, "Hey, you want some good advice, buddy? Come over here and we'll give you your choice of the job you want in the NAVY!" Hey look, it was the best deal I had gotten all day. I went in and the friendly recruiter was talkin' my tune.

I knew that my draft number was not a good one and that I had now passed my physical...and that Viet Nam was raging and that the machine has a ravenous appetite for young men and I didn't like it one bit. Whatever happened to that wonderfully simple lifestyle I had possessed just TWO WEEKS AGO??????

I signed the dotted line. "Report tomorrow you're in the Navy now," Like it or not I was in the Navy. I got back on the bus and headed back to Benton. I didn't hear a thing all the way back.

At dinner that night, the family all made the best of the news I had to tell them. They were proud of me, even though they had to get an arm-lock on me to get me to enlist. At least I wasn't DRAFTED. Yeah, right. I knew I was still a gonner.

On the news that night, it stated that two Navy recruiters were killed in Little Rock that evening. I went in the next morning and the lone recruiter said that they would contact me in seven days...that because of the accident things were placed on hold. "I have a week!" I thought. I'm free for a WEEK. What to do?

The first of a very long string of curves was thrown to me the very next morning. The phone rang and the recruiter told me to get to Little Rock. I did, as quickly as I could. I went through all this processing...but I noticed the demeanor of the Navy folks was a lot different. They all barked and growled, each louder than the other. We recruits were treated like sub-humans and called names I didn't even know existed. I never heard the word "f_____'worm" before, but every time I turned around there was some screamin' fool with red eyes carryin' on like I couldn't hear him. Heck, I could have heard him from Benton.

Finally, after all the paperwork was done, the old master chief decided that we needed to be divided up to where we would go to boot camp. It was in the teens that week--cold as blue blazes. The Navy had boot camps in Great Lakes, IL and San Diego, CA. Now, may I ask you, where would YOU want to spend the next 8 weeks of YOUR life if you had to go to one of them???? I'm no Einstein, but I knew that San Diego was my place. Look, I had NEVER ever even SEEN a palm tree before except when Frankie was chasin' Annette in the movies. It was my time to salvage SOMETHING out of all this. Where had my life gone??? I was not in control of anything now...but just maybe.

I stood in line for my assignment, single file, at parade rest. "NEXT." I heard the Master Chief say, "Where the hell do YOU want to go to basic, sweetheart?" The trembling recruit sheepishly said, "Well, I'd really prefer San Diego, sir." "I'M NOT A SIR, BY GOD. I WORK FOR A LIVIN'! YO ASS IS GOIN TO GREAT LAKES, AND YOU BETTER LIKE IT! NEXT!" Man, I gulped. When this guy spoke it commanded your 100% attention. He seemed to tower over us. Authority was never so loud and ugly. "Where do YOU want to go," he repeated. "Sir I really like the colder weather and since we'll be running some, I'd like to go there." "YO ASS IS GOIN' TO 'DIEGO, YOU SISSY! SEE THAT MAN RIGHT OVER THERE." I looked and the guy was smiling like Boris Karloff, rubbing his hands together. "GET OVER HERE, YOU PUKE," he barked. The poor guy fell all over himself to get just 30 feet.

But I had a plan. After listening to that idiot Chief for fifteen minutes, I guess I got a little confidence in myself and decided to use his ignorance to my advantage. "NEXT." It was show time.

I came to attention and stepped forward, standing at rigid attention. "WELL, PRETTY BOY, WHERE'S YO PREFERENCE OF DUTY STATION?" I said, "Well master chief, I have family ties in Great Lakes and I could really use the moral support while training--"SHUT UP BOY. YO ASS IS HEADED TO SAN DIEGO. AIN'T THAT SWEET???" I didn't answer. "GET OUDDA MY FACE AND REPORT OVER THAR!" Off I went, in a flash.

It worked! I was headed to SAN DIEGO!!! I didn't show it, but I had just outflanked a 24 k idiot master chief. All it took was a little nerve.

I boarded a plane on 16 January 1968, landing in San Diego in the early morning hours. We were bussed to a barracks. I could see the silhouettes of palm trees going by as the bus took us to our destination. Things were about to start happening...beginning just two hours after we were bunked down, with the hurling of a 55 gallon galvanized trash can being catapulted down the center of the barracks. "GET UP, YOU MAGGOTS." Oh, hell.

As a post script, I got my draft notice in the mail during my third week of boot camp. There was some victory in telling the Army to stick it...but not much. The palm trees??? They were beautiful, but I never had time to look at them. I was always running in formation and they wouldn't let me stop. Imagine. But they couldn't keep me from the 70 degree weather :biggrin:

In the eight weeks of boot camp and the next three months of dental technician school and hospital corps school, I pretty much achieved my goals. I found that I actually liked the Navy after boot camp. But even in Boot Camp, I made the best of it. I was presented with the top two honors of the cycle. I received the American Spirit Award Medal and Top Recruit of 1,500 men. IT was a whole 'nother world, now. But I really missed my Arkansas and family and they were never far from my heart. I tried everything I could to avoid it all, but now I was part of it.

Thus begins the military career of the noncom Artful Dodger.

Thanks for comin' along. <><

aj

the honesty in your description of yourself and the program.:thumbup:

Having been an "army brat", i had no illusions about life in the military from an early age. It had its moments and i remember well the Vietnam era. The US forces were recruiting in Canada as well. Given my upbringing and mindset, i nearly signed up. A few years later i was glad i had not.

Enjoyed your recount of the process! More?

I spent four years and two months in the Navy, six months of it in the war zone on a ship that darted back and forth from Da Nang, Hong Kong to the Phillipines and back. I wrote a story about her called "The Sammy G and Me" a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find it and repost it sometime.

After the Navy, I joined the Army National Guard, and stayed with them for 22 years, retiring as an 04.

In a short time, my total government service will approach 40 years...and it will be time to make room for the next generation.

Who knows what would have happened to me if I had not be "pressed" into service way back then. I don't know, that's for sure. I probably would never have gotten an education. I know I could not have afforded that. I doubt if I'd ever entered into government service had it not been for the searing times of the late '60's

Looking back, as mistreated as I felt back then, it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. Alls I know is that God himself is in control (and has a sense of humor) and I'm not.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. More? I dunno. I only write about the fun part. Although the military was good for me, I would not say that most of it was 'fun.'

aj

he went in after he graduated from school in 64,if you saw the scowl on his face in the picture they took of his group that went through basic together you would know how much he liked it.:)

he was in guided missles on the destroyer richmond k.turner,he ended up living in san francisco and then mostly national city outside san diego.he re-enlisted and got the bonus but while they were docking ship a cable snapped and whiplashed and shattered my brothers leg.

they had been at sea for several months and my brother had grown a beard,while they were preparing him to be transported to a hospital a higher up of some sort told them to get this man shaved before he leaves the ship.this didn't go over real good with my brother and he called the higher up many bad names and told him what he could do with the navy.

he spent several months in a hospital in hawaii,and the were going to give him a dishonorable discharge,he got a lawyer and got a medical.i think he kind of enjoyed the navy,things just didn't work out.

can you still tie those navy knots john?:)enjoyed your story,made me remember the era,and some of the stories my brother told me,he has ten years on me,i use to look up to him back then.

for days, and I had to baby sit your whiney wife while you were in basic! :lol: I still have the first letter you sent to me and Tom, but it was sent after Pat came out there to be with you! Kinda funny how you grew up so fast and got so wise, but you know what? You were right!

See if this brings back any memories! ILY, :)

[attachment 47522 Going-to-California.jpg]

Hey Brother,

I remember the day when you shipped out too. I also remember when you were driving the old Bonneville down Lillian Street playing "Batman"!

Nice photo Lil Sister!

ly both

Lil Brother

Good, and brutally honest story for us. During that period, I was in university. We were conscious of the Vietnam war, but since we were never directly impacted, it did not have the , I guess the word is import, that it would have if Canada was involved. I cannot say that I am happy, or sad, that I never did duty for my country. I can say there is some regret, though. I feel that all of the citizens should give some time to their country... be it in the forces, or any other capacity. We should be able to give some effort to show appreciation to be able to live in such freedom as we have!! :)

Thanks arkie

Calm seas

M

dirt driveway with Johnboy, and he would be mad about having to take us somewhere! Remember when he used to throw us all OVER the back seat. We would both be bawlin' like little babies! :rofl:

And any young man of that era that wasn't worried about the prospects of going to Nam was surely blessed without the faculties to comprehend the situation. THAT had to be scary, to say the least. I suppose that's why I find myself standing up on behalf of the good ole' U.S.A. in the arena of politics. Whether their course of action is agreed with or not, they are always the country that many turn to when the going gets rough. And it does not go unappreciated or unnoticed !

Those days really do make me appreciate the 'good' days. Thanks so much, for your continued participation on this fine forum of friends!

aj

I never knew it existed. What a trip. The ole' boy himself and three ofhis favorite loves.

I remember that gigantic old pine tree beside Daddy's garage, too.

Too bad I made Momma cry. I did all I could to keep that from ever happening. <><

ily,

Johnboy

I'm really glad that part of my life is in the past. I was glad get back to Arkansas when it came "my turn."

Thanks for posting.

aj

...until I got that notice for my physical. At that point, it became a priority.

If it had been up to me and my pea-brained attitude, I would have never gone. But it wasn't and I did. Now that it's in the past and I'm about to get that ole military retirement, I'm smilin' all the way to the bank!!!! <><

Arkie

Glad you liked it.

I looked for "THe Sammy G and Me" story,but I don't have an electronic copy of it. I'll retype it soon. Take care!

aj

I never served,something I sometimes regret not doing,but I did register for the draft-as required in those days.I was a green country boy and was required to register at a draft board in a fairly distant city-next door to the draft board was a Marine recruiting office into which I walked into by mistake.....they spent the next 20 minutes trying to sign me up before sending me on my way.I recieved a draft number that was never called.Thanks for a great story and thanks to you and others who have served us all.