Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

That Diamond Ringy Thingy

Arkie John

I began my quest for local treasure in 1970, while stationed in San Diego, being held captive for four years and two months by the United States Navy. There was a little treasure/coin store on the north end of 30th Avenue that truly mystified me to no end. He had oddles of old gold and silver that he made jewelry from, lots of displays of countless interesting items. Treasure magazines and best of all a fledgeling bunch of guys willing to pay the price to be in such a fraturnity. Each had pockets full of the same stuff I saw in the window displays!

This guy had all kinds of really neat stuff he had pulled from the ground, using a gizmo that was an off-shoot of an old army mine detector. He just called it a "metal detector." It was slick. It had a non-waterproof coil that was mounted on the end of a telscoping aluminum pole. At the other end was a box about 6" cubed (almost) with a single scale for battery strength, an on/off switch and a sensitivity switch. It was straight TR (no discrimination). It had a most uncomfortable pistol grip that made your wrist tired after about 30 minutes of use. The thing weighed a bunch so after holding it at the correct scanning angle, it wasn't long before the wrist gave out. It took an eternity to save enough for that thing, but the day finally arrived and I was IN.

I dug a bunch of junk, as I do now, but I had no choice then. I also dug a bunch of silver coins just about any place I wanted to hunt. This detector was made in Gardena, CA and it was called a Goldac (nice ring to it, huh?) I dared take it to the beach and found a bunch of jewelry--enough to keep my in gold for jewelry making (I was a prosthetic dental technician)pay me back the whopping $150.00 I paid for it. That came fairly soon after the purchase. So that kinda stuff just doesn't happen anymore, right???? Think again.

Just before leaving for Georgia and South Carolina, I purchased a Garrett Ace 250 for $200.00. Even though I had read rave after rave about the little devil, I still thought is was a tad above the Radio Shack detectors. But I bought it anyway. I didn't take it on the trip, but now with I had.

When I arrived back home, I took it out--its been three times now--all three times at the local beaches. I've had great times with it, collecting over $16.00 in clad, a solid silver heavy chain with a pretty crucifix on it, a half-dozen rings--one of which is expensive. It is woman's ring...a class ring from Texas City High School, alumni 1991, with the initials plainly visible on the inside of the band. Also plainly visible are the two beautiful diamonds (maybe a third K), one on either side of a big topaz oval centerpiece. The ring itself is 10K. I WOULD post a photo of it but I promised Gary I wouldn't bad-mouth his software again. Besides, I'm in a perfectly good mood and I don't want to spoil it. :D

I am making progress at locating the original owner. If I don't find her, guess what? The detector is paid for ALREADY....And if I DO find her, the satisfaction of knowing that I had a little bit to do with her being happy, is quite priceless.

So, in closing, I don't find quite the silver I once did. But this hobby is so unique and rewarding. Between turkey seasons, it is an instant cure for the yearning of the woods. I just get my little machine and head for the beach for a little swishing.

The diamond ringy thingy...the gold thingy...the excitement with every belltone, it's what keeps this old guy going in the "off season."

The sailor's uniform came and went. The army uniform came and went. Queen No. 1 (my first wife) came and went (along with my treasure chest full of goodies:(). The first set of kids came and went. My knees come and go, sporadically, but this metal detecting thing...well, I reckon I'll quit with the ole' knees finally wear out completely. Tomorrow, right after sun-up, Ms V and I will be on Lake Greeson, at the beach at Kirby Landing, looking for that NEXT piece of GOOD jewelry. I'll be lookin' and she'll be relaxin'. It's better than buying scratch-offs or lotto tickets. I KNOW when I go out, that I will be a winner, one way or the other. I might even make someone that lost a class ring long ago, a very happy person. But wish me luck anyway, how 'bout it?

Thanks for comin' along, one more time. <><

aj

I have one that belonged to my father that is in a sealed home made cardboard box case that I have not opened since he passed away in 1978. I remember that it had a big solid coil, control box was polished and had a pistol grip, chrome like metal, used a 9v battery, and had one knob. I may be a little off on the description because the last time I saw the detector was in the early 1970's. Up to now, I have had no desire to break the seal to the home made case.

I stopped typing this response to you, and took a picture of the detector inside the home made case. At the moment, I have mixed feelings about breaking the seal and will give it some thought.

My father already had this detector when I came home from the Marines and he let me use it a few times. I did find some coins with it, but really was not interested in metal detectors at that time. Finding and collecting Indian arrowheads was always number one with me, but years later I started using a metal detector for relic hunting around old ranch houses, camp sites, and water crossings.

I have also attached a photo of some of my arrowheads mounted in some shadow boxes that I made. We have not lived in this house very long and are just now getting around to hanging some of the arrowheads and etc. The prior owner of this house had installed these ugly type wire lights, and I will be removing them in the near future.

You know, posting the pictures of the arrowheads has brought back many great memories...memories of roaming pastures, brush land, being out with wild animals, chasing a calf out of the brush, I really do not belong here! However, that is life and I will still keep that smile on my face knowing that I will always have the cowboy in me.

Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I had a small collection of arrowheads at one time but I left them with the museum in Courtenay when I left to go to university. However, I have started again and as you know, the crystal one is the absolute best that I have ever found.

All the best

M

...to own that Goldak (or Goldac) detector. You are correct: it has a polished undercarriage of aluminum, with a plastic upper and speaker. Now that I think of it, it DID only have one knob.

I don't know if I'd open it or not. I just checked their site and they don't make metal detectors as we know them anymore. And...they're in GLENDALE, CA now.

Now, to the arrowheads. Son! I have not seen a collection like yours in many, many years. My half-brother, Robert has a massive collection of points and scrapers, knives, hatchets, pots etc., etc., etc. In the 50's and 60's it was not against the law to "dig" Indian graves in this area and many of the local residents where Robert lived, did just that. He's over 70 now and can't do much but admire them. As for myself, try as I may, I have less than 2 dozen good points and one great looking knife/scraper made of red flint. My place musta been the apprentice workshop for arrowhead making, because 99% of all I find are imperfect points or impact-fractured. Rarely do I find a good point. (I'll bet there's a horde of 'em in that rattlesnake cave!)

Thanks for posting this VERY interesting post. The Goldac--the arrowheads, just great stuff, buddy, and it made my day! You're right on the money. The "Cowboy" will always remain in you.

your friend,

aj

It was back in the 70s, That I know. My first machine was an old whites coinmaster, I think. No meter, 2 dials and it detected everything. However, it was a fun machine since a large percentage of targets were keepers back then.

I guess diving is my lifelong affair [other than Alice of course]. 47 years and I still enjoy it as much as I did back then. Now , however, I have combined detecting and diving.....so it does not get much better than that.

Thanks for the memories.

All the best

M

This is only a very small part of my collection...54 shadow boxes are now hanging on the four walls of my study/junk room. I have boxes full of arrowheads and other Indian relics that I have not put in shadow boxes, and probably never will. My Son has shown the desire to have this collection one of these day, but I told Debbie only if he promises to never sell them. The problem with giving them to a museum is that there is the possibility that they would be stored in the basement and never displayed to the general public.

I consider these arrowheads and relics to be sacred, not to be used in any commercial manner. I have great respect for the history of the American Indian, and admire their way of life. I consider all burial sites to be off limits and I will not disclose their locations to anyone.

Mike, I am glad to hear that you are again collecting arrowheads, great hobby and should keep you out of mischief. Say, don't forget to take a camera with you and take a few bear pictures too! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

in regards to hunting for Indian arrowheads and relics. In Texas, the laws only apply to public land, not private lands unless the owner has given the government an historical easement or if the site has been declared an historical site. Please note that burial sites have always been illegal to mess with. Most folks do not know this and the various government agencies have not disclosed this to the general public.

The vast majority of my collection consist of arrowheads found on the surface, not dug at a camp site. I first started collecting arrowheads after finding a few at my Grandfathers old place after he plowed the fields. There are lots of places to look: plowed fields, along creek beds, on bluffs overlooking a creek or river, along lake shores, and any area that is washed out because of the rain.

I am tempted to open that metal detector box, if I think I can get it all put back the way it is now. Did you notice my Father's name printed on the box? That is his hand writing. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I use a Tesoro Bandido II uMax and a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax. I have several different size coils for them. There are newer models now on the market, but these work OK for me and I have no desire to buy a new detector at this time. I have used Garretts, Fishers, and Whites metal detector in the past, but I like the light weight of these two Tesoro metal detectors.

Say, you never told me if you still have that tall Sun Flower plant. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

....my dad usually starts them,but he slowed down a litle this season.We have a fig tree the fruit is as large as a meddium size apple.My dad brouht it to BC from the old country.He sold a few plants at a flea market.He now has peaple growing these fig plants all over the area.I also used Fishers,presently use sOV.cONGRATS ON A FINE! COLLECTION AF ARROWHEADS.

LATER oRLANDO BC

I will be retiring not later than December 2008,:jump: probably sooner...but I will be re-entering the water myself, with a Brownie Hookah System and a new Excalibur, most likely.

I was certified in the late '70s and now, I don't dive very much. I can't find folks willing to burn their air watching me have fun. My first water machine was a Garrett Sea Hunter. The batteries leaked inside and ruined it and Garrett wouldn't stand behind it,:ranting: so the next one will be the minelab unit.

I find most of my goodies in the water nowadays because of my knees degenerating so. Today I found nothing of consequence, other than $4.25 in clad, wading in almost waist-deep water with the little Ace 250.

Fred's post was neat, wasn't it? :) Thanks for posting and keep 'em comin'. <><

aj

Thanks for the additional info. I STILL look for the points. I just never seem to find many anymore. The knife I found was RIGHT ON TOP OF THE GROUND in a neighbor's field. Too bad for him. :D

aj

You let me know. I will build you an underwater setup that has done wonders for me. The minelab diving setup for the excal is not the best. The one I made is , to my mind, absolutely perfect. I stole the old seahunter design and modified it for the excal.

My retirement gift to you [even if it is early] will be one of these units.

Just let me know

All the best

M

I was just out on the front porch watching a late evening thunderstorm approaching from the west and it came to me! I STILL have that sea hunter in my garage. The case is perfect for anyone who could use it. I had this thing stored for 6 or 8 years and when I brought it out the factory-sealed batteries had ruptured and had reeked havoc to the insides of the detector. I pleaded my case to Garrett but they turned a deaf ear and suggested I buy a new Seahunter, as the cost in fixing the OLD one would be prohibitive. Yeah, right. They are lucky I bought the ACE 250 last month. I swore I'd never buy another Garrett product.

However, if you can use that seahunter case, you let me know, send me an email with your address and I'll make you the proud owner of that puppy.

So how did you improve upon the excal anyway? Other than thoses silly knobs that keep coming loose I didn't know one could improve on it--especially the 800. Curious to know. <><

AJ

Go to radio shack and buy a set with the set screws. Immediately, the knob spinning problems are all gone. Here is a pic of the dive set up. The balance for diving is superb and it is easy to swing. I also changed those goofy headphones and put a bulkhead connestor so that I can use underwater grey ghosts.

I will send you my email address via private messages. Then you can get me your address.

Take care.. Give Linda a kick in the kiester for me....then give her a hug :)

all the best

M

gave you. Is it up there, or do you have it somewhere else? I would really like to see it if it's not too much trouble! :)