Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Test garden

JasonW77

I'm very new into this hobby and have been running my nox 800 for about 2 weeks every chance I get. I've been running park 1 with the factory presets, and digging almost everything. But I want to get more familiar with the tones and numbers to remove some of the trash I'm digging.

I'm seriously considering building a test garden to help strengthen my knowledge, if I do what types of coins or material should I bury? Realizing I'm new, where can i get a mix of older coins to bury (since i haven't found any yet), and which type should I look to purchase for this garden?

I appreciate any help with these questions

Thanks

Jason,
You're on the right track with a test garden.
First thing to do, find a spot that's free of iron (or other trash).
Use your detector on all-metal (horseshoe on) and clean out the junk.

You don't have to start out with silver coins buried .... clad is close enough for now, to get going.
Plant a few copper pennies, dimes, nickels, and quarters at various depths (some pretty decent depths) .... depends on your ground.
(focus on the dimes .... that's the hardest to spot)

But here's the key: you'll want some deep enough that they're hard to pick up.
That is what you need to hear/learn .... the sound of those deep 'iffy' coin signals.
It's easy to learn the 'engraved invitation' type of sounds .... it's harder to ID the 'iffy' signals.

If you want to be a little more advanced, you can add some old square nails near some of the coins to hear what co-located targets sound like.
....So you won't pass up those possible good targets in iron.
(dug square nails act/sound different to modern/fresh nails, so save a little of your iron trash for this.)

Later on, you can add silver if you want, but the clad will give you 90+% of the experience you need.

(BTW, if you really want to get some older coins to bury, sometimes EB sellers will offer some junky old coins for that very purpose.)

Good luck, and hh.
:)
mike

I'm very new into this hobby and have been running my nox 800 for about 2 weeks every chance I get. I've been running park 1 with the factory presets, and digging almost everything. But I want to get more familiar with the tones and numbers to remove some of the trash I'm digging.

I'm seriously considering building a test garden to help strengthen my knowledge, if I do what types of coins or material should I bury? Realizing I'm new, where can i get a mix of older coins to bury (since i haven't found any yet), and which type should I look to purchase for this garden?

I appreciate any help with these questions

Thanks

Jason,
Ebay sells all kinds of old silver coins, most antique business will have a few old coins for sale. If I was going to go to trouble of making a test garden I would go ahead and get silver coins. When you build that garden be sure to put an inch of dirt in the hole and pound it, then another inch and repeat. I use a broom handle cut off flat. I use half a dozen old silver dimes for my test garden and an indian head penny. Depth wise I start at 5 inches and work my way down to 10+inches.

I have all kinds of stuff in my test garden from silver coins to 3 ringers, square nails etc.........
coins with iron next to them above and below them.
Anything I think I might encounter in the field.