Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Swing Speed Help Needed

With the standard coil on my 30, it won't detune on it's own, so what I do is detune it via the pinpoint button. Once you have a target, go into pinpoint, pass the coil over the target, then when you think that you have it in the centre, hit the pinpoint button twice more. This will give a fairly close pinpoint (about half the diameter of the inner coil).
Another method that I use, is when in pinpoint, I go over the target, centre it as best I can, then slide the coil back toward myself. once I lose the signal, I nudge the coil forward again till I reacquire the signal again, then use a small side to side wiggle as I slide it back again. When you lose the signal again, it will be under the 12 o'clock position of the inner coil. Try it on a coin that you can see at first, just to see how it works.
Mick Evans.

Thanks,

I will give it a try. I really would like to hunt with the concentric coil and be able to pinpoint accurately. I lately have been hunting with it, when I get a target, I mark it with a small orange flag. After I have covered the ground I want to (I usually hunt about a 10 by 8 area at a time or so) cover, I change coils, and use the small 6 inch DD coil and recover the targets. I would rather not have to do this if I could improve my pinpointing with the standard coil. Thanks for the input.

Darryl

Man that has to be a pain! To be honest I had trouble pinpointing with the 30. I sold it for that reason only. A couple of years later after reading all the good stuff about the 50 and 70 I bought a used 50. The pinpoint was great! So was the detector! Then I traded it for a new 70. WOW! Each step up on the Xterra's more than doubled the features. The 70 pinpoints dead center for me with the stock coil. On the 10.5 DD HF coil I PP right at the top of the coil. The 6 inch DD coil PP's off the top or the center - you choose. I think once you find the groove you'll have it. I don't have any more advice for PPing with the 70. But I know you'll get it!

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I am sure with some practice I will. I must admit I have been spoiled by my Whites XLT pinpointing. It hits dead center virtually always, and it is easy to use. Pull the trigger, engage the VCO audio and bingo, the coin or target is directly in center virtually always. I will keep at it, I have ordered a 10 inch 7.5 KHz DD coil, I just have to wait until they are in from Minelab Australia. I hope this helps. The reason I use the flag method is that it covers an area completely. It helps me be sure I have recovered all the targets in an area. I will keep at it with the standard coil, and I am sure I will get it down sooner or later. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Darryl

When I hunt I see everything in grids too. I don't swing slow but I hunt slow. I overlap my sweeps by about 1/3. Then depending on the targets I've dug I might just turn 90 degrees and hit the same area. About only 3 times a year I will hunt with someone else. They all seem to wonder everywhere not even knowing where they have been. They swing their coils with 2 feet in between each sweep. I feel like if I'm going to cover a gridded area then that's what I'm going to do. I don't like the feeling that I may have missed something. I may not get it all but I want it all. I haven't hunted for 3 weeks and tomorrow is the day. I'm going to hit some fresh water beaches and a new sand volleyball court. My work has kept me from hunting. I hate work!

Enjoy your hunting. I used to hate work until about 3 years ago when I retired. Now, I love it, since I no longer have to do it! :wiggle: Every day is Saturday! I get to do what I want when I want it. I am so busy fishing, prospecting, gardening, drywashing, dredging, flying my ultralight aircraft, etc. etc., I do not know how I ever had time to work! :laugh: Have a great weekend and good luck with your hunt. I plan to hunt Monday or Tuesday at a park that will be heavy with people on Sunday. Lots of clads and perhaps a piece of jewelry or two. I may use my XLT, but I am going to try and resit doing that so I can get the hang of the X-terra. Let me know how you do and thanks again.

You got it! I don't think I can retire. I have 25 years left on my mortgage and maybe 15 years to work! I have to get my priorities strait. I guess I'll let my house go so I can detect more!!!

I don't know if this will help but I used the prospecting mode and approach the target from the 4 sides, watching where the signal starts on the leading edge of the coil, do that 4 times and the target will be right in the center. I even raised the coil about 4" off the ground and experimented with that.
I don't know if that is a good way or not but it worked well for me, I was within an inch on most of them. I just got my XT70 so I am learning mine too!

Page 15 of the owners manual states; "An average sweep speed is three seconds from left to right to left."

Note; That is left to right (and back) to left in three seconds, and not just left to right in three seconds.

That's with the 9" factory stock coil. I haven't used a small coil yet, but I'm guessing that a 6" coil should be around 2/3 (66%) of that pace (slower), considering it is 2/3 the diameter of the 9" factory stock coil.

link to X-Terra 70 on-line owners manual