Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sweating, swearing, freezing.... a divers story

I have a daughter that was Certified at the age of Ten, I helped with the lessons so they gave them to her at that age. I think the age limit is 14 or 15 or so now. Not sure.

The thing is, she is still Certified and has not been diving in 30 years. There are millions of Certified divers out there that should not put a tank on. I am not saying John is not as qualified as Mike or I am but it doesn't pay to take a chance.

I had a buddy that had been diving for 30 years. Thirty years! He was a bull of a man and never used a BC. He said he didn't need one. I told him if he wasn't such a freak of nature he would have drowned long ago. He would not use a BC and would just dive until he ran out of air and swim to shore! WITH THE TANK ON HIS BACK! Dang freak.

The laws changed so you had to have a Certification to get tanks filled. He had a buddy with a dive shop that filled them for him. The shop closed and he had to rely on me to fill them for him.

Finally I told him to get certified himself because the dang fool didn't know as much about diving as he thought he did. The fact that he servived does not mean he knew what the hell he was doing.

Finally he did, bought a BC and the works. We were diving in the St Clare River, lots of current and such. He had problems of some sort, I forget what it was. Well he headed for the surface, which was about 35 ft above him and Lake Erie, which was about fifty miles down stream.

He told me later that the only reason he was still alive was because of the BC. He tried to swim to shore as he had done for 30 years and was about worn out when the old Bastud rememebered he had a BC on.

He filled it and relaxed and leasurly headed to shore.

Refresher courses are smart if you have not been in the water.

some cold cash "bahaha" and as far as anyone not getting certified even using a hookah is dead wrong and it shouldn't be sold unless the person is certified and that goes for Willy P.

how much water were you working in? I never got into salvage but did some underwater repairs while in Longbeach.

Dave

I was diving Waloon Lake in norther Michigan one day and a buddy wanted to give my Hookah a try. This was when I was a little stupider than I am now. Maybe this is why I am smarter now :D

Dave was a great swimmer and a big old boy. 280 or so and very comfortable in the water. He grew up near me and since there are over 420 natural lakes in our county, we were very comfortable around water.

Waloon Lake is a nice lake with a sand bottom. I was on one regulator and he was on another, my Hookah will support three. I popped up for some reason, I don't rememember why and there was Dave, in a wild eyed panic, about six feet from me. He was a thrashing and swinging and sputtering, "Help me! Help me!" I reached for him and in spite of his weight I was able to hold him and his head out of the water. Saving his arse from a sure drowning. Well it was not all that much of a Heroic act since the water was only chest deep!

I spun him around and locked eyes on his and yelled at him to put his feet down. Which he finally did. He felt like a fool but it is natural for a person, thinking they are in deep water to crunch into a ball and not extend their legs down. I have seen it happen three times.

All that happened with Dave to set him off is his mask flooded. That is one of the first things they teach you in diving class is clearing a mask. With all the dives I have had I still hate it when my mask floods.

What I hate is when I start getting cold, after a couple hours on bottom and I guess because of the cold and I must be flexing my face differently but the dang mask keeps filling with water. I have to exhale half of my dang exhale into my mast to keep the water out. I usually get frustrated and say to hell with it and get out of the water and warm up.

People have to learn that diving lessons are necessary

n/t

But all of the obstacles [boats, fishing lines, sails... just everything], plus all those treasures we had to leave!!:( made it a little hairy at times. But, I can now look back at it an laugh :)

calm seas

M

because they paniced over nothing.

I came close to panicing once myownself :D

My closest was that shipwreck where I tossed my tank through a window and then could not find it. Closest I have ever come!! :)

calm seas

M

the hole was, I thought I had lost my safty line.

I wrote that story.

That still puckers me up

and thanks for taking the time to write it. I have never dove, so reading these type of thrillers is always a special treat for me.

n/t

in about thirty feet of water. Had good visibility and everything. Popped my right eardrum because I didn't wait long enough after a cold. Felt like someone had hit me in the head with a sledgehammer. Didn't know up from down or right from left. After about thirty seconds of sheer terror, I realized I wasn't going to die and decided to follow the bubbles as they had to be going up. Was the last time I dove, other than with a snorkel.

Dave

how much I enjoyed it. I read some other's comments tonight and realized I did not. Forgive me, sweetheart! I also love you stories and this was a good un! :)