Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Swan Dive!!!!

Micheal_R

Staff member
I was reminded about a diving incident which happened to me many years back, thanks to Ron.

As I have stated, more than a few times, Victoria has a very mild climate. Cold weather, freezing and snows are very infrequent, and when they do happen, the duration is quite short. When those rare freezes occur, the population just seems to go insane. Their driving becomes even worse than normal, people wander around in a daze, and the whole demeanor of the populace changes. On those rare times, when the cold and freezing actually stays, then things start to get really crazy.

It was during on of those rare times of extended freezing that our story really begins. I think it was around the late 60s, 1969 if my memory serves me correctly, that we had a cold snap hit Victoria. The temperatures did not come above freezing for over 10 days. People were bundled up as if they were in the Arctic. Water lines froze in houses, the roads became like an ice skating rink, and many of the lakes froze over. There were impromptu hockey games, skating parties and cold outdoor picnics.

However, some people lost all manner of common sense also. Elk Lake, one of Victoria

n/t

[attachment 76588 Winter091.jpg]:rofl::rofl::rofl:Its hard to believe that they can be that mean! You must of scared the living $heet out it! They are harmless...NOT!! Last Summer i saw one of them attack a cousin :D of yours,from the North, A Canadian Goose, i thought the swan was gonna ring its neck and kill it! They waddle as good as they can swim!!
[attachment 76586 Winter082.jpg][attachment 76587 Winter084.jpg]

and no sense of humor. I do not ever remember actually seeing a swan, but I have seen many wild ducks and they are not all that big in person. Mike is it possible that it was just putting on a bluff and trying to scare you? I probably would have been like your friend and would have laughed my head off at watching you dealing with the swan. This is a funny story and I enjoyed reading it...sounds like down deep you were having some great fun! Mike, I always enjoy your diving stories and always look forward to the next one. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Bluff or not, I was not going to hang around and find out. I was at Beacon Hill Park , and a swan up and decided I was not feeding the birds rapidly enough and took a snap at my foot. The only thing that saved my ankle was the cowboy boots that I always wore. Took a large slice out of them.

Calm seas

Mikie

I had a goose chase me when I was a kid...it was bigger than a duck and I keep thinking that it had a long neck. I was laughing until it bit me on the back. I must admit that it hurt! I do not know much about water birds except wild ducks as per se. If I am ever around a goose again, I think that I will carry a stick so that I could whack it upside the head if it tried to bite me...teach it a lesson to not bite people. If it then still wanted to bite, it would end up on the dining room table for a nice Sunday meal. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

You have my interest up on that car also. Funny how stuff like that will interest you. I was diving in a lake down by the shore and it had and old steam shovel in it in about 50 feet of water. It looked like it had slipped off and island as they were digging it and there it sat. For what ever stupid reason I had more fun climbing in and out of the cab on that and taking people to see it. Water there was pretty clear so you could see most of the boom on it. fact it was a great spot for me to load up on freshwater fishing lures tangled on the boom.

Your story also reminded me of to dealings I had with swans I'll have to post. As you say, then can get nasty. One minute its this beautiful swan swimming along, the next minute its a Teradaxyl= spelling, trying to kill you with its wings or beak.

Good post...

George-Ct

In one of the lakes up here, there is a collection of old railway box cars plus the engine. The problem is they are pretty deep, about 130 feet or so , and any attempt to take a photo results in only a very small section being visible on the photo.

Love to hear your swan tales. They are just like land sharks with an attitude.

Fair winds

Mikie

and around here quite recently, apparently it has been known to eat sea birds:biggrin:

http://www.bcscc.ca/cadborosaurus.htm

maybe you coulda harnessed those swans!:rofl:

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t